Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
And then I bet they started some thread on a message board about how awfully the church treated them and how it was nothing more than a business trying to gouge them for money. The world is made for those who lack self-awareness.
If you go to wedding forums like The Knot, you'll find them.

We are spiritual, none committed to a certain faith Christians. When I got married it was in the chapel at the Bellagio. Looks like a small church in photos, all are welcome.

Would never have the NERVE to go to any church thinking they owed me a wedding.

Churches should really cash in on these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 03:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
If you go to wedding forums like The Knot, you'll find them.

We are spiritual, none committed to a certain faith Christians. When I got married it was in the chapel at the Bellagio. Looks like a small church in photos, all are welcome.

Would never have the NERVE to go to any church thinking they owed me a wedding.

Churches should really cash in on these folks.
Just out of wild curiosity, I went to a couple of forums. Damn. It's crazy. One poster noted that the church was perfect except for one tiny problem: Instead of two rows of pews, the church had three rows of pews. So she want to know if the church WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM IF THEY REARRANGED THE PEWS. Never mind that they're likely bolted to the floor. Never mind, even if they managed to get them unbolted, doing so would cause damage to the floors. Why? So she could have the aisle with taffeta on both sides of a central aisle.

Just crazy-assed stuff.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Reading this thread I am feeling bad for even planning a wedding! Everyone seems pretty excited about it- now I'm worried they are putting up a front.
Everybody is excited about it! There's going to be a nice party with good food and great friends. But keep it in perspective. You're planning a wedding and everyone else is living their lives. So, like when your closest friend's father dies, don't say Oh no! Then a second later start talking about your wedding and how hard it is to plan it....and that no one understands...

Yeah...that happened. At least she seemed to understand why I had to bow out. Frankly at that point I didn't really care.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownheightsnative View Post
Outside of the bachelor/ette parties, I am really not familiar with this tradition of wedding parties covering costs (including their own) for weddings.

I have been in more than a few weddings and depending on the culture my responsibilities were different each time. One thing was a constant, I was never expected or asked to spend money.

I am the youngest of 6 daughters and my father paid for all of our weddings: including the bride/grooms party travel/lodging.

I married into a culture where the mother in law makes the dress for the bride so my father compromised with my future (now ex) MIL by buying the material, accessories, etc for it and then my MIL made it.

I would be honest and up front with the bride/your friend and tell her why you don't want to be part of it. If she's really your friend she will understand and find someone else who wants to pay $1,000 to be part of her wedding or better yet, she will realize how ridiculous that is.
I think it is (used to be ) customary for the bride's parents to pay for hotels for out of town bridal party members. Air travel... I don't know...

I've always wondered about extravagant destination weddings that celebrities have. Do they pay to fly everyone in and put everyone up? Surely not all of their friends are as rich as they are.

I think showers have gotten more over the top since I got married. It used to be just your BFF's, and a few family members for cake. If there was a bachelorette party, it was clubbing in your home town, not jetting off to Vegas.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The trick is to invite rich people who will not come. Keeps your cost down but when they decline, they usually send a gift anyway.
Right - this is exactly what I meant. This is precisely why people invite others to wedding whom they are 100% sure won't come (i.e., they're out of town & it would cost too much to travel, etc.). They invite them anyway so the people will be obligated to buy a gift. This is so obvious, I don't know why more people don't realize this is something that happens a lot.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Reading this thread I am feeling bad for even planning a wedding! Everyone seems pretty excited about it- now I'm worried they are putting up a front.
Not everyone hates weddings. The nay-sayers on this thread are the same ones you'll see on every thread about weddings, baby showers, and housewarming parties. God forbid they buy a gift and socialize for a few hours.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times
Quote:
Well on the other side I wish I had enough friends to be asked to be a bridesmaid so many times
My thought as well. Some girls are hurt because they were NOT asked. I do agree with many of the OPs points, though.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Don't feel that way. Just keep the thing in perspective. Not knowing a thing about you, you're likely not a member of a royal family, so there's no need for a chorus line, dancing bears, and a seal act. In short, keep it fun for everyone without bankrupting anyone.
a chorus line, dancing bears, and a seal act

Yup been to those kinds of weddings and they're a nightmare! Yes, it's all about the couple getting married, but it takes the work of others to make the show happen. Don't get too full of yourself. You're still human just like everyone else. I've met brides who make Kate Middleton look like a janitor.....talk about Diva Town.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,305 times
I can't believe a bride/maid of honor would ask other bridesmaids to pitch in for a shower! That is ridiculous. $200? I have been in weddings and thrown a bridal shower, and this was Never the case.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Speaking of unflattering styles- before my breast cancer I was a natural 34G. I had to bow out of 2 weddings because the brides insisted they wanted everyone in strapless gowns. Um. Nope. Physics.
Did the bride want everyone staring at your chest instead of her? Very few people can actually look good in anything strapless. Most people look terrible going strapless. Good for you for not wanting to give the guests a show.....can't believe no one thinks about this and how you'd feel if they fell out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships