Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
can't believe you're sending money to this person - you must be made of money - or you have money to burn!

senseless waste of money
I think it's pretty ballsy considering I didn't even know their last names. Most likely I will do it as my friend, the grandmother, knows her daughter did this. I don't want to cause a rift over this but yeah it bothers me...a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:25 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think it's pretty ballsy considering I didn't even know their last names. Most likely I will do it as my friend, the grandmother, knows her daughter did this. I don't want to cause a rift over this but yeah it bothers me...a lot.
How would your friends--the grandparents--know you received the announcement unless you tell them? The US Mail isn't what it used to be.

Every year we get graduation announcements from kids of people we barely know. I mean could not recognize the kid and vaguely know who the parents are. & the same with wedding invites...I think it is a gift grab & refuse to participate.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
This is so odd to me. I have friends who have grown children and grandchildren. I don't know their grandchildren at all... maybe saw them once or twice. Why should I send them a gift of money for anything?

Why should anyone send money because they kid is trying for a gift grab and expects someone to give her stuff? That sounds like a good reason NOT to send any.

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.
You and me both.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Most likely I will do it as my friend, the grandmother, knows her daughter did this. I don't want to cause a rift over this but yeah it bothers me...a lot.
It doesn't seem like its that good of a friendship to begin with if something like this would cause a rift.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
When I graduated from high school, my parents and I sent out announcements far and wide. To me (and I'm assuming my parents) it was an announcement of my achievement. Kind of a "Look what I did! I'm entering the grown up world now!" kind of thing. I had no expectations of gifts at all. Didn't even realize it was a thing.

I was happily surprised when people DID send little gifts and money...but I sure wasn't expecting it.

Personally, I think a nice card would surfice.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I graduated from high school, my parents and I sent out announcements far and wide. To me (and I'm assuming my parents) it was an announcement of my achievement. Kind of a "Look what I did! I'm entering the grown up world now!" kind of thing. I had no expectations of gifts at all. Didn't even realize it was a thing.

I was happily surprised when people DID send little gifts and money...but I sure wasn't expecting it.

Personally, I think a nice card would surfice.

Yep. Same for me. I was actually surprised when I received gifts.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
My DH and I kind of feel like she just sent it out to get some money and it backs us into a corner...and kind of angers us. As I said we don't now her well or her grown children well.
We only give graduation gifts to people we know well enough to invite to our home for an overnight stay; that's how we weed out the gift-grabs. Most of the time we already know about the graduation coming up.

However, the fact that it was postmarked after graduation tells me this was an afterthought, and I don't blame you for being angry.

Also, as a parent, I would not take offense at an out-of-state friend not giving graduation money to my kid. So, if someone else gives me grief about it, they would be relegated to a lower echelon of acquaintanceship. And this isn't even the friend's kid, but her grandkid.

Don't feel bad for ignoring it.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
However, the fact that it was postmarked after graduation tells me this was an afterthought, and I don't blame you for being angry.
They were announcing that their son had graduated college, how do you announce something before it happens. Do you also expect birth announcements to come before the baby is born?

I could understand maybe being bothered if the OP was sent a graduation invitation postmarked after the graduation, because then it would be obvious that the OP wasn't really invited. But an announcement? Its just a way to share the good news about someone's achievements. I don't see why that needs to be sent prior to the graduation.

How long ago did the son graduate? Was it a December graduation? That would be a little odd to be sending out announcements that late. But if he just graduated a week or so ago, I don't see any problem with that timeline.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They were announcing that their son had graduated college, how do you announce something before it happens. Do you also expect birth announcements to come before the baby is born?
I wasn't aware his graduation was a surprise.

Every announcement I've ever received was about a month prior.

I wouldn't expect a birth announcement ahead of time, because of possible complications in the delivery. That's what the shower is for.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It doesn't seem like its that good of a friendship to begin with if something like this would cause a rift.

Seriously? Have you never heard the Blood is Thicker Than Water thing? Too many people take it to heart. Many families don't see the bad in their own families or they choose to ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships