Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times

Advertisements

so you have problems with 5 out of 5. let it go. It's families, everyone has a story. let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:49 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Thank you for letting us know mate but apart from venting and showcasing your jealousy do you have a question?

And I wonder what their opinion of you is LOL!
Bingo.

OP, getting a free ride through college doesn't result in druggie, flaky kids, in case you were wondering. There's something wrong with the way these people were raised, which points to potential issues in the extended family, meaning--the parents. Also, having to work your way through school doesn't guarantee someone won't be a flaky adult, and will have even a moderately successful career.

You're wondering if others have flaky Millennials in the family? I have professionally successful Millennials on one side, and struggling Millennials on the other side. All of them went through college on grandparent "scholarships". Two chose practical majors, that drew on their strengths, their natural talents. Another two chose finance, and interned at Charles Schwab all through school, starting their own brokerage together a couple of years after graduation. The struggling ones chose dime-a-dozen majors, like art/graphic design.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-28-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Don't concern yourself with these cousins or aunts and uncles. You don't approve of their life choices or their parents enabling them so just don't have anything to do with them. Don't even think about them-- not worth the effort.

Their slacker lifestyles will catch up to them when the parents pass on. Even if they are left money, they will probably blow through it or mismanage it and eventually be left with nothing.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Judge not lest ye be judged? Be grateful for what you have and don't worry about your cousins. We all have different paths in this life.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why do you care, and how is it your business?
The old "why do you care". That never gets old.

It's his business because he chose to post about it.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The old "why do you care". That never gets old.

It's his business because he chose to post about it.
No, it's not his business.

He can post about it, and people will ask(and we have) as to why he cares, because it isn't his concern.

It's not impacting him directly, they're not hitting him up for loans.

If this is his biggest gripe in life, he should be grateful.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:15 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Not jealous at all, my wife and I both work good jobs, and work hard every day. We are doing fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with 20-35 year olds really being slackers in today's world?
Well, your descriptions certainly made me feel like I'd stepped in something icky. I try to stay away from people who make bad decisions, so your distancing yourself from them seems entirely appropriate to me.

The only familial slacker I know is 40. She has a tendency to latch onto men who are sick -- I mean, actually physically ill or in poor condition, like someone who weighs 400 lbs. These relationships never last very long. Works minimum wage and leeches off her mother and grandmother, who enable it. Currently living with the 'rents.

It is sad to see someone you liked as a child grow up to be such a disheveled mess and you wish she would find the mental health help she needs. If just once family would resist the impulse to bail her out of her latest screw-up, she might start to turn her life around.

So yes, I think I know what you're getting at.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Judge not lest ye be judged? Be grateful for what you have and don't worry about your cousins. We all have different paths in this life.
Exactly. The OP should be really grateful these are cousins and not silblings. Siblings who are living with him and not paying rent, or working, while he and his wife go off to work.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
They probably think the same of you.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Parenting that did little to encourage independence and moving into adulthood has NOTHING to do with their age. This type of poor parenting has always existed. .
Exactly. I have cousins older than I am (I'm pushing 50), who are the sorts described in the OP. I have a whole bunch of millennial nieces and nephews, plus my own daughter, and none of them are slackers living off their parents. Not that it would be any of my business if they were.

It is a shame when you see someone "waste" the benefits their parents gave them. My daughter is working her way through university right now, and she gets frustrated seeing some of her peers flaking out when seemingly being handed anything they want. We're helping, but we don't have the means to just give her everything. I think in the long run, she'll come out the better for it, but in the mean time I understand it can be hard.

Last edited by bondaroo; 05-28-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships