Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times

Advertisements

I have separated myself from several family members, both by distance, and the fact that I don't talk to them anymore.

I am in my mid 30's, they are similar in age, maybe older.

I was raised poor in a 700 sq foot house, given nothing.

My cousins were raised by college educated parents, in a middle class home, and were offered free education, etc.

I put myself through college, and pay hefty student loans. When there were no jobs upon graduation, I moved south to get a job in my field.

Here is an example of 5 of my relatives, some from different parents.

1.) Male cousin, offered free education, and free car from parents. Chose to get deep into drugs. Ruined everything he was given. Arrest records, and addiction. Parents call it a disease. He moved to a warmer climate. Now age 32. Parents still pay his health insurance, and parents purchased him a $175k condo. Has little responsibility and works at a retail store, never graduated college. Does not have a drivers license, but had one at one point. Is having a baby with girlfriend of 5 years, and we are expected to shower them with gifts and approve. This person shouldn't have a pet let alone raise a child.

2.) Male cousin, age 42, offered free education from parents, dropped out of school. Was into rave drugs, and coke for his college years. Has three children from three different women. Parents pay these women his child support because he does not work a real job. Claims he has anxiety and can't work a lot. I believe he works a call center job part time. Does not have a drivers license. Cousin lived in a ghetto apartment, parents did not like that. Parents purchased him a two family house, refinished the whole thing, and even put a renter in the lower apartment. He resides in the upper apartment and does not lift a finger. He claims he has autism, but I think he is a scammer who fried his brain with drugs.

3.) Male cousin, age 35. Never moved out of his parents 4 bedroom house. Has a 4 year degree from Private University. Parents paid 100 percent. Spends his money on video games. Obese, probably 350 pounds. Had a girlfriend, who suggested that they move in together in their own apartment. Dumped girlfriend, said he would rather live at home. Now sits at home and plays video games and works for a retail store for $12 per hour. Parents pay all his expenses. Did I mention he has a degree from a high end private university?!?!

4.) Male cousin, near age 40. Had children at very young age. Now has 6-7 children. Works at a restaurant as a cook. Family members cover up saying that he is very religious, that is why he has so many children. Not married, never married, has 3-4 baby-mommas. Family covers it up. He gets various public assistance programs, and works under the table at a restaurant. Takes family on beach vacations 2-3 times per year.

5.) Male cousin, age 30. Parents put him through a tech electronic school. Father said he would be making so much money after graduation. Never graduated, continued to live in parents basement. Last time I seen him was at a bar, he was so drunk and stoned he didn't even know who I was. Last I heard from another family member he is drunk all the time, and sleeps in the basement of his parents house, and was aggressive and abusive towards my aunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Thank you for letting us know mate but apart from venting and showcasing your jealousy do you have a question?

And I wonder what their opinion of you is LOL!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:08 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
Not jealous at all, my wife and I both work good jobs, and work hard every day. We are doing fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with 20-35 year olds really being slackers in today's world?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Of the 3 people you complained only 2, maybe 3, are technically Millennials. But if you want to join the crowd of people that love to complain about them so be it.

Parenting that did little to encourage independence and moving into adulthood has NOTHING to do with their age. This type of poor parenting has always existed. Perhaps you would like to hear about a few of my aunts/uncles that never really got it together and are now deceased or in their 70's and 80's? Perhaps you would like to hear about my husband's siblings in their 60's that still call us for money for rent?

It has nothing to do with what kind of help they were given or not given. My 2 Millennial children were given cars because we could afford it and because it was useful to us to have them be responsible for their own transportation. They earned college scholarships which covered most of their costs, and we paid for the rest as we saved for it. They graduated debt free. That was our choice. We wanted them to start adulthood in a better financial position than we did. I think most parents want better for their children. That is part of the American Dream. Both were fully employed in their fields and 100% financially independent within a month of college graduation. Our dream was fulfilled.

Again, nothing to do with their ages.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Not jealous at all, my wife and I both work good jobs, and work hard every day. We are doing fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with 20-35 year olds really being slackers in today's world?
Yes. In laws though. From what I can tell my extended family can hold their own. Not sure about the younger generations though because I haven't been around in 20 years.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Right well as you've been more specific and.....

I'm glad you're happy and content with your life but are they with theirs? I ask because on paper I know a few that you'd think " what a waste " or " how could they live like that " but end of the day they LOVE their life and actually happier than most that feel they have it made

Old 05-28-2017, 10:28 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
That's what happens when you give people free stuff without expecting good behavior in return. We are animals that require training and sometimes that requires (gasp) discomfort.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That's what happens when you give people free stuff without expecting good behavior in return. We are animals that require training and sometimes that requires (gasp) discomfort.
Yes it's unfortunate that many parents by doing right by their kids and giving them the very best they can out of life unnecessarily get tarnished with " bad parenting " when their kid does something wrong or makes a lifestyle choice that most don't agree with etc

Don't get me wrong I KNOW there are " spoiled brats " and all that entails but it's not always down to the parents if they show a lack of discipline and so on.

Good point

Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

Why do you care, and how is it your business?

You don't have things like.

1) My cousin who is 28 stayed with us for two weeks, borrowed our car and had an accident due to texting
while driving. Also some of my wife's jewerlry is missing.

2) My cousin who is 23 comes over and never puts down their cell phone, you can't have a conversation with
them. We loaned them $1,000 over 6 months ago and the deal was they pay us back $200 a month and
they made one payment, and now they saty they can't do it.

Get back to us when their lifestyles impact you directly.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
I have separated myself from several family members, both by distance, and the fact that I don't talk to them anymore.

I am in my mid 30's, they are similar in age, maybe older.

I was raised poor in a 700 sq foot house, given nothing.

My cousins were raised by college educated parents, in a middle class home, and were offered free education, etc.

I put myself through college, and pay hefty student loans. When there were no jobs upon graduation, I moved south to get a job in my field.

Here is an example of 5 of my relatives, some from different parents.

1.) Male cousin, offered free education, and free car from parents. Chose to get deep into drugs. Ruined everything he was given. Arrest records, and addiction. Parents call it a disease. He moved to a warmer climate. Now age 32. Parents still pay his health insurance, and parents purchased him a $175k condo. Has little responsibility and works at a retail store, never graduated college. Does not have a drivers license, but had one at one point. Is having a baby with girlfriend of 5 years, and we are expected to shower them with gifts and approve. This person shouldn't have a pet let alone raise a child.

2.) Male cousin, age 42, offered free education from parents, dropped out of school. Was into rave drugs, and coke for his college years. Has three children from three different women. Parents pay these women his child support because he does not work a real job. Claims he has anxiety and can't work a lot. I believe he works a call center job part time. Does not have a drivers license. Cousin lived in a ghetto apartment, parents did not like that. Parents purchased him a two family house, refinished the whole thing, and even put a renter in the lower apartment. He resides in the upper apartment and does not lift a finger. He claims he has autism, but I think he is a scammer who fried his brain with drugs.

3.) Male cousin, age 35. Never moved out of his parents 4 bedroom house. Has a 4 year degree from Private University. Parents paid 100 percent. Spends his money on video games. Obese, probably 350 pounds. Had a girlfriend, who suggested that they move in together in their own apartment. Dumped girlfriend, said he would rather live at home. Now sits at home and plays video games and works for a retail store for $12 per hour. Parents pay all his expenses. Did I mention he has a degree from a high end private university?!?!

4.) Male cousin, near age 40. Had children at very young age. Now has 6-7 children. Works at a restaurant as a cook. Family members cover up saying that he is very religious, that is why he has so many children. Not married, never married, has 3-4 baby-mommas. Family covers it up. He gets various public assistance programs, and works under the table at a restaurant. Takes family on beach vacations 2-3 times per year.

5.) Male cousin, age 30. Parents put him through a tech electronic school. Father said he would be making so much money after graduation. Never graduated, continued to live in parents basement. Last time I seen him was at a bar, he was so drunk and stoned he didn't even know who I was. Last I heard from another family member he is drunk all the time, and sleeps in the basement of his parents house, and was aggressive and abusive towards my aunt.

Boohoo. I lived almost the exact same life you did, except you are a few years older than me.

BTW-Two of your cousins don't qualify as millenials, as much as you'd like to bash them. Maybe you should complain about your aunts and uncles who apparently support the behavior of your cousins.

It doesn't impact you. Be happy you're living a good life and did it on your own. Blood doesn't mean you have to keep relationships with people. Everyone I know my age lives on their own and works, so no I don't really know too many people qualifying as slackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships