Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo2412 View Post
Yes that does describe him. I got a newer car last time after driving my previous car to the point it was becoming a safety hazard. It is a mid level car (nothing super fancy, just a couple years old) and he made comments as if it were a luxury car. The only reason I could afford it was because I kept my previous car for so long and spent a lot of time looking for a good deal. If he didn't spend the money he did on a nice boat with a motor then he could afford the same.
There ya go.

The reason I mentioned the car is I had a similar experience with a "friend". Like you it was new car time, I casually mentioned I needed to start looking, I wasn't bragging it was time. First words were "you're not getting a new one are you?", and on and on about how they lose value(we all know this) the minute you drive it off the lot. They made such an issue of it, like they were paying for it....LOL.

I bought a small economy car, you would have thought I got a Rolls Royce. It was patehtic, they couldn't even say "congrats", they live in another state and will never see the car. It was a real eye opener for me. Now they just bought a new car a few months back and I was tempted to give it back to them, but I just said congrats.

It's really quite sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My experience with the rare person who insists on "being spontaneous" is that they do that (subconsciously) so that everything will be at THEIR convenience. They refuse to consider the other person's convenience. It's all about them, and what they want when they want it.

Draw a line. As others said, put up boundaries. This can be hard to do with a parent, especially a pushy, narcissistic parent, and it could cause complaining (since we know everything is everyone else's fault, not his), but you don't want to be jerked around chronically, and forced to drop everything, drop your own plans and activities, just because he's "being spontaneous", do you?
Exactly, I doubt this is spontaneous. Like you said it's all about them, they don't even think "are you available?", that you could possibly be doing something else. Only their time and their needs matter.

OP, don't be available a few times, even if you are free. He may start to realize he needs to give you some advance notice and not be so "spontaneous".

IDK if your father is a narcissist or not, but he has a lot of the traits. Nothing they do or say is sponatneous. They're very manipulative of your emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 29,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Obviously you can't change him. You can only change how you interract with him. Limit your phone conversations with him...no matter what he says about you not answering his calls. When he complains about something, just let him. Theres nothing you can answer with that wont be an argument. Just try not to engage too much. And for gods sake, dont let yourself end up like him~
I don't see that happening. I am the opposite of a hoarder. He will sometimes buy me something that I don't need from a garage sale or resale shop and I have to say no. I don't push my problems into other people but have a tendancy to let others dump theirs on me. The lack of boundaries have caused me to be taken advantage of at work, for example, but I have gotten better about that.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't wait for him to get his stuff out of your place. Could be a long wait. Have a friend help you load up a truck, and drop everything in his garage or on the driveway. You can announce in advance that you'll be doing this on X weekend. If he's not ready when the time comes, follow through anyway.
I don't have a friend with a truck nearby but if I have to load up my car and make multiple trips then that is what I will have to do.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:17 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo2412 View Post
Perhaps narcissist is a stretch although my mother would say he's controlling. It tends to run in the family.
Your mother is a saint to have put up with all that negativity for 30 years. I hope she got an ample divorce settlement.

What's the best way to deal with him? Tell him you don't want to hear it.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
My experience with the rare person who insists on "being spontaneous" is that they do that (subconsciously) so that everything will be at THEIR convenience. They refuse to consider the other person's convenience. It's all about them, and what they want when they want it.

Draw a line. As others said, put up boundaries. This can be hard to do with a parent, especially a pushy, narcissistic parent, and it could cause complaining (since we know everything is everyone else's fault, not his), but you don't want to be jerked around chronically, and forced to drop everything, drop your own plans and activities, just because he's "being spontaneous", do you?
No and that is an accurate assessment. Not only that but it is ok if I have to wait for him, but if he has to wait for me, it's the end of the world.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You were able to say no to him this time, so you are moving in the right direction.

There are a lot of things you can do to teach him how you want to be treated. If he doesn't learn, you stop being around him.

For instance, when he b*tches about your driving, turn around and take him back home.
Been there! As soon as the nasty remarks started when I was driving or doing him a favor I would stop, take him home or stop what I was doing and tell him why. I didn't launch into a big tirade (because that is part of what he wanted), just put an end to something. He would sulk, but couldn't escape the fact that he brought it on himself. Its hard, but once you learn how you will also learn when you can leave some comments alone and when not to.

Ironically this was the same parent who often told us kids "if you act like a child you'll be treated like one".

Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
However, its far too common for men who often blame anyone they deem that undermined their agenda of the past. These types do not evolve nor do they acknowledge their input that caused things!!
Everything is someone else's fault. I have had to hear about all the sacrifices (which I do appreciate), how he drifted apart from his friends when I came along, the missed investment opportunities, how his mother treated him, how he didn't get to have "fun" in his 20s, etc. He complains about his mother or another relative being controlling or manipulative and then turns around and is the same way with his kids.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There ya go.

The reason I mentioned the car is I had a similar experience with a "friend". Like you it was new car time, I casually mentioned I needed to start looking, I wasn't bragging it was time. First words were "you're not getting a new one are you?", and on and on about how they lose value(we all know this) the minute you drive it off the lot. They made such an issue of it, like they were paying for it....LOL.

I bought a small economy car, you would have thought I got a Rolls Royce. It was patehtic, they couldn't even say "congrats", they live in another state and will never see the car. It was a real eye opener for me. Now they just bought a new car a few months back and I was tempted to give it back to them, but I just said congrats.

It's really quite sad.
Sad and ridiculous
When I told my uncle (on my moms side) that I was buying the car, he was sorta the same way in that he tried telling me what to buy. He even called me to and asked me to go with him to the dealer and/or buy his car since he was looking at the time. Maybe he was afraid I would get a better car than him or something. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, I doubt this is spontaneous. Like you said it's all about them, they don't even think "are you available?", that you could possibly be doing something else. Only their time and their needs matter.

OP, don't be available a few times, even if you are free. He may start to realize he needs to give you some advance notice and not be so "spontaneous".

IDK if your father is a narcissist or not, but he has a lot of the traits. Nothing they do or say is sponatneous. They're very manipulative of your emotions.
There were a couple of occasions where I didn't answer the phone and then about 15 minutes later I would hear a knock at the door. He would say he called and I would come up with an excuse as to why I didn't answer (i.e. dealing with a work issue)

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Your mother is a saint to have put up with all that negativity for 30 years. I hope she got an ample divorce settlement.

What's the best way to deal with him? Tell him you don't want to hear it.
Saint? Not exactly. She is stubborn and negative as well. Both of them now have partners that bend over backwards for them.

The settlement is ample but he acts like he was screwed over and claims that she put away money that he never saw.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Been there! As soon as the nasty remarks started when I was driving or doing him a favor I would stop, take him home or stop what I was doing and tell him why. I didn't launch into a big tirade (because that is part of what he wanted), just put an end to something. He would sulk, but couldn't escape the fact that he brought it on himself. Its hard, but once you learn how you will also learn when you can leave some comments alone and when not to.

Ironically this was the same parent who often told us kids "if you act like a child you'll be treated like one".
That sounds like a good way to handle it. I do think they want to bait us into a tirade. Better to just walk away.

Last edited by gonzo2412; 07-12-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships