Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out whether OP objects to the Meal Trains website being used for meal scheduling, or the poor behavior of a few people who seem to brag about their efforts. Because they are two very different separate issues. And frankly, I've never seen the latter. If it happens, it doesn't necessarily mean that using Meal Trains is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not true... Much is "new" about it. The public aspect, the bragging, the announcement of good deeds, the photographic evidence of same, the implication that if your name isn't listed for all to see you are not "helping" that person, the coercive nature of it, the intrusiveness of it (from having "helped others" throughout my life without the benefit of an organization chart, I happen to know that many - when sick - don't have much of an appetite, and most have limited freezer space; many ALSO don't want a steady parade of near-strangers or even friends descending upon them every day, some eager to document the visit for social media). It's simply tacky.

"New," but not necessarily "improved," IMHO. If you REALLY want to help a sick friend and not just pat yourself on the back before all, call or TEXT (this is also "new") and ask what they need/want and when.

Then don't brag about it (claiming that it's to "inspire others" when really you're just blowing your own horn), because - as the Bible points out in that parable quoted above - "self-praise is faint praise indeed."
I've never participated in one by the name "meal train" but I have signed up for "care calendars". I don't see what's showy or offensive about it. Being spread on social media helps more people participate and ensures that 2 meals don't show up on the same day. There are a lot of things I find tacky, but this isn't one of them. Once you sign up, the only people who see it are other who also signed up. There's nothing to brag about. If people are sick and don't want company, they won't agree to having a friend start a meal train.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I've never once seen anyone brag on social media about providing a meal for a sick or injured person. The bragging could still be done, even if the meal was shared the old fashioned way. I'm just really confused by the OP's complaint.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:10 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbiekat View Post
i've never once seen anyone brag on social media about providing a meal for a sick or injured person. The bragging could still be done, even if the meal was shared the old fashioned way. I'm just really confused by the op's complaint.
+1.

I never see online "Hey! Just got back from bringing a meatloaf to a dead persons family. Look at me!"

Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,632 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I don't see people brag about it on social media, but the whole success of apps like Meal Train and others relies on people being able to notice who gives and who doesn't. If you can make it obvious that a person has given, it will be MUCH more successful.

That's why those "buy a brick" campaigns work so well, why charity auctions at a gala work, why those plaques of "thank yous" to donors where everyone can read their names work so well.

And if you doubt this, try this: If you need help with something, email out a request and then say please when you reply, reply to all so we know what's already being done and then everyone will know when we have all the positions filled. I used to do that before SignUp Genius came along, and it's MUCH more successful in getting signups. If you say please only respond to me so everyone's inbox doesn't blow up, forget it. You'll hear a very few responses because they won't get the public credit for helping.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:20 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
It's not a new or modern trend, it is consideration for fellow humans in need. Your consternation / complaint at the concept is more disheartening. I don't understand why would it bother you unless you were being the recipient of unwanted goods? (Like fruitcakes at Christmas)

Thanks for the thread title as it prompted me to start singing "MULE Train" hahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7oSPFpdqw

Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't see people brag about it on social media, but the whole success of apps like Meal Train and others relies on people being able to notice who gives and who doesn't. If you can make it obvious that a person has given, it will be MUCH more successful.

That's why those "buy a brick" campaigns work so well, why charity auctions at a gala work, why those plaques of "thank yous" to donors where everyone can read their names work so well.

And if you doubt this, try this: If you need help with something, email out a request and then say please when you reply, reply to all so we know what's already being done and then everyone will know when we have all the positions filled. I used to do that before SignUp Genius came along, and it's MUCH more successful in getting signups. If you say please only respond to me so everyone's inbox doesn't blow up, forget it. You'll hear a very few responses because they won't get the public credit for helping.
Um, Sign Up Genius & others are successful because we can see that we don't need one more pasta salad, but do need a dozen dinner rolls or a jug of orange juice. I don't really care WHO makes what. I just want to know the soccer team won't end up with 3 pounds of taco meat & a dozen snickerdoodles.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
(Shrug). I don't care if people boast about it as long as the good deed gets done.

I mean, look at "Name-of-donor Foundation" or "So-and-so Medical Center." If those folks wanted to donate anonymously they could but they don't. Does anyone get angry about it?

There's something deeper going on with this post.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
There's something deeper going on with this post.
I agree. Something specific has upset the OP, and so he's railing against the entire idea of Meal Train. My guess is that everyone else is signing up with home cooked meals, and he can only sign up with some Lean Cuisines, so he's feeling some shame and flipping his frustration on to the other contributors for "bragging" about their home cooked meals.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships