Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to put this one, but since I'm already complaining in this category about something else...

Am I the only one who thinks this modern trend of starting "meal trains" for sick friends is a little weird? I mean, I'm down with visiting friends and bringing them whatever they like, but hasn't anyone heard of frozen dinners? I don't cook, myself, and I basically live on those (and I am surviving just fine). I can see bringing a hot meal to eat at mealtime, but for the most part these are homemade, made-from-scratch dinners that go straight from the visiting friend into the sick friend's freezer, so they'll have to be heated up anyway (like, you know, a frozen dinner). So what is the point, exactly? I notice it becoming almost a competition among friends who DO (like to) cook in getting pics of their handiwork on Facebook and trying to outdo one another.

Of course people have historically brought meals in times of trouble, but that was BEFORE convenience food. The alternative back then was whole families starving. Hardly the case today; cooking is optional.

Moderator cut: delete

Is it just me, as usual?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: FB reference was deleted ..See sticky rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
If you think it's weird, don't participate. The point of making meals for someone struggling is to, you know, feed them without them having to prepare a meal.

We have a neighbor who is going through chemo. Some of us in the neighborhood are providing meals on M/W/F. We talked to her and she decided this would be the best schedule for her family. People don't just drop by with a meal. There's a schedule so they aren't getting multiple meals on any given day and so they're not inundated with visitors.

Moderator cut: orphaned response

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: your FB response is orphaned

Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Some people don't like eating a lot of processed foods.

As a person going through chemo myself, I've read up on foods that help fight cancer. One of the things stressed in all literature, websites etc... say to stay away from processed meals such as frozen dinners, deli lunch meats...

I would be one of those that do not like frozen meals regardless if I had cancer or not.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If you think it's weird, don't participate. The point of making meals for someone struggling is to, you know, feed them without them having to prepare a meal.

We have a neighbor who is going through chemo. Some of us in the neighborhood are providing meals on M/W/F. We talked to her and she decided this would be the best schedule for her family. People don't just drop by with a meal. There's a schedule so they aren't getting multiple meals on any given day and so they're not inundated with visitors.
Moderator cut: orphaned
Exactly. Illness and death can't always be planned ahead for. Meal Train is an app to make scheduling easier on everybody. If you want to participate, you sign up for a day. Meal Train does not post participants on social media.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not sure where to put this one, but since I'm already complaining in this category about something else...

Am I the only one who thinks this modern trend of starting "meal trains" for sick friends is a little weird? I mean, I'm down with visiting friends and bringing them whatever they like, but hasn't anyone heard of frozen dinners? I don't cook, myself, and I basically live on those (and I am surviving just fine). I can see bringing a hot meal to eat at mealtime, but for the most part these are homemade, made-from-scratch dinners that go straight from the visiting friend into the sick friend's freezer, so they'll have to be heated up anyway (like, you know, a frozen dinner). So what is the point, exactly? Moderator cut: orphaned

Of course people have historically brought meals in times of trouble, but that was BEFORE convenience food. The alternative back then was whole families starving. Hardly the case today; cooking is optional.

Is it just me, as usual?
I haven't seen this trend among my friends so much as among my co-workers. And yes, depending on my schedule, my connection with that co-worker, and if I can meet their dietary restrictions (if they have any) will determine if I'll volunteer to provide a meal.

Personally, when I do elect to provide a meal, it's because I want to help in some way and this is the best possible way for me to help them.

I am not above eating frozen meals. In fact, I had one last night. But those frozen meals are highly processed and the taste isn't as good as most homemade meals. I would also assume that someone that is unwell enough that meals are being provided should be eating healthier meals than the pre-packaged frozen ones. I will take someone's homemade lasagna over Stouffer's any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And no, I haven't seen one FB post with anyone pointing out their culinary skills or even talking about what they're participating in.
Same here. And I'm friends with quite a few humblebraggers.

OP, I'm sorry to see that your friends make it a competition. That should not be the spirit of providing meals for a friend.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Am I the only one who thinks this modern trend of starting "meal trains" for sick friends is a little weird? I mean, I'm down with visiting friends and bringing them whatever they like, but hasn't anyone heard of frozen dinners? I don't cook, myself, and I basically live on those (and I am surviving just fine). I can see bringing a hot meal to eat at mealtime, but for the most part these are homemade, made-from-scratch dinners that go straight from the visiting friend into the sick friend's freezer, so they'll have to be heated up anyway (like, you know, a frozen dinner).

Is it just me, as usual?
People have done this for years, it's not a "modern trend" by any stretch. Providing meals is done as a way to help someone out. Frozen meals can get costly and boring (in addition to the already mentioned nutritional concerns) and a meal for an entire family still has to be planned, which is tiresome and one additional thing to think about for an already stressed family / caregiver.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
People have done this for years, it's not a "modern trend" by any stretch.
I guess it must be an app? That would make it 'modern'.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I guess it must be an app? That would make it 'modern'.
Well sure the app would be modern but the action of friends helping out certainly is not. It was just more difficult to organize. It would be like saying " what's with this new fangled trend of adding numbers?" when calculators became popular/accessible.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
Our church uses meal trains to help members who are sick, surgery or had a baby. I think it is a great way to schedule meals so they won't be duplicated and helps share information of dietary restrictions and allergies. We usually set the schedule very other day so they can enjoy the leftovers the next day.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
That's not modern. That's normal and caring to help out a sick friend. I wish it was more common. And you cannot compare a home made frozen meal with a frozen meal you buy in the store.

The frozen meals you buy in the store are VERY unhealthy. Processed foods. Hungry man meals are the worst - tons of sodium. They have fillers and sodium and preservatives and what not.

I suggest you research a little and educate yourself about the frozen dinners you eat. It may be eye opening, not kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships