Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 11:53 AM

6,885 posts, read 11,251,567 times

Advertisements

Bride is 33. Never married. Finally found the right one.

One of my nieces.

She's been living on her own for 15 years - has a lot of personal items also.

Went on her website 2 weeks ago and she's gotten everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 12:33 PM

11,802 posts, read 12,045,871 times
Maybe a gift card to the store where she registered?

Old 11-06-2020, 01:03 PM

744 posts, read 878,532 times
Gift certificate for a spa day, pedicure etc. Does she drink coffee? Buy a coffee sample pack from Umbria coffee, does she cook? Buy her some different spices. How about a new journal? There are really nice ones on Amazon for everything like gratitude, bucket list, travel etc.
More info on the bride to be is needed in order to get a better idea.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:54 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

One of my nieces.

Do you have a picture of her & her groom to be that you could put it in a special frame? Or a collage of some pictures when she was young & include a picture of her & her man....in a pretty frame. Personal stuff like that makes for super nice gifts IMO from family & old friends.

Or...what about a spa basket filled with hand picked goodies of products she uses or that she might like. Throw in a little bottle of wine or a small box of decadent chocolates & wrap it in a pretty basket.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:35 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
Find out if the bride-to-be has a registry anywhere. Ask her friends what they think would be a good gift.

I would stay away from gift cards for wedding couple. It shows that you did not take the time to shop around for a present.

Traditionally, wedding presents were to be used in the home such as appliances, dishes, glasses, flatware, table cloths and napkins, bed linen, and so on.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:36 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:

One of my nieces.

You should contact her to ask what she needs that has not been purchased on her registry. Everyone is different. I personally would not mind a visa gift card but some may. Cash or check is also helpful. If you know where they food shop a gift card for there may work but some people just don't use gift cards no matter how much they are. My son used to get them, some expired.

I wouldn't want any of the gifts that have been listed. I don't do spas, need a spa basket and am particular with what products I use. I also don't have my nails done. I only like one brand of coffee, don't drink at all and I have tons of spices, don't journal and I don't shop on Amazon more then once or twice a year.

The picture would be nice if she's the type of person to appreciate something like that.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Quote:

One of my nieces.

If you went to the website that she was registered at and she's already gotten everything she was registered for then I would give something that she would not register for on a public website due to modesty.

I've been to enough bridal showers and seen plenty of brides being gifted with intimate wedding night/honeymoon gifts that have always gone over well. I'd make up a gift box of assorted things that are tastefully intimate, romantic, sexy and a little bit racy, enticing and playful but classy (never anything trashy or over the top) that are designed specifically to enhance the couple's conjugal pleasures and play time in bed on their wedding night and honeymoon.

Perhaps choose a selection of things like small bottles of edible massage creams and oils and massage tools or scented and flavoured intimate lubricants, a bottle of pink champagne or fancy strawberry liqueur with two crystal glasses to go by the bedside together with delectable, exotic chocolate dipped goodies (you can never go wrong with honeyed Turkish Delights, Baclava, sugar dusted Fruit Gelees, Rose & Citrus Gelees, heart shaped cookies, etc.), rose scented candles for the bedroom, specialized intimate wash cloths and towels for the bed side tables, an erotic illustrated book of sexual foreplay and positions, a book of romantic poetry, a long soft feather for sensual tickling, etc. ....... get the idea? Playful stuff for the person who already has everything else they need.

If those kinds of ideas fail or if I thought they would not appeal to a particular type of bride, then I would just give a general purpose gift card.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-07-2020 at 03:55 AM..

Old 11-07-2020, 03:49 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
I don't know, kind of cringey to get those things from your aunt.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't know, kind of cringey to get those things from your aunt.
Maybe cringey for you, eh? Mothers, grandmothers and aunts are the best women to get those kinds of gifts from. Do you know what is the traditional purpose of a bridal shower in many cultures? Traditionally it is for the purpose of other women to prepare a bride and advise her and give her the things that she will need for the marriage bed on her wedding night as well as things for her trousseau, her dowry, her home, her kitchen.

I've seen brides at bridal showers get gifts for the wedding night from their aunts, mothers, grandmothers, sisters, nieces, female cousins, girlfriends and co-workers. Suitable gift giving all depends on how close and open-minded the relationship is between the bride and the other women in her life.

In western society and stiff taboo-laden cultures if a bride-to-be (or the women in her life) is a cringey or prudish straight laced woman with no sense of play or intimate pleasure who is easily offended then the other women in her life will know that about her and likely will not give her intimate wedding night gifts anyway. Perish the thought!

But the decision for gifts is up to the OP and the OP is the only one here whose place it is to veto other people's gift ideas. The OP will be the one who knows the bride best, not you or me, and the OP can go by her own judgement on what she thinks will be appropriate gift suggestions out of all the suggestions given so far.

Speaking of suggestions - you haven't offered any gift suggestions yourself yet, so what are your ideas for gifts for a bride who already has everything else?

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-07-2020 at 04:48 AM..

Old 11-07-2020, 05:43 AM

9,469 posts, read 5,242,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you went to the website that she was registered at and she's already gotten everything she was registered for then I would give something that she would not register for on a public website due to modesty.

I've been to enough bridal showers and seen plenty of brides being gifted with intimate wedding night/honeymoon gifts that have always gone over well. I'd make up a gift box of assorted things that are tastefully intimate, romantic, sexy and a little bit racy, enticing and playful but classy (never anything trashy or over the top) that are designed specifically to enhance the couple's conjugal pleasures and play time in bed on their wedding night and honeymoon.

Perhaps choose a selection of things like small bottles of edible massage creams and oils and massage tools or scented and flavoured intimate lubricants, a bottle of pink champagne or fancy strawberry liqueur with two crystal glasses to go by the bedside together with delectable, exotic chocolate dipped goodies (you can never go wrong with honeyed Turkish Delights, Baclava, sugar dusted Fruit Gelees, Rose & Citrus Gelees, heart shaped cookies, etc.), rose scented candles for the bedroom, specialized intimate wash cloths and towels for the bed side tables, an erotic illustrated book of sexual foreplay and positions, a book of romantic poetry, a long soft feather for sensual tickling, etc. ....... get the idea? Playful stuff for the person who already has everything else they need.

If those kinds of ideas fail or if I thought they would not appeal to a particular type of bride, then I would just give a general purpose gift card.

Depending on her tastes, I would get her an art piece. Painting, blown glass sculpture...something beautiful that she will have for a long time. You do not have to spend alot of money on this either.
I agree that receiving erotica from a relative is a bit creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships