Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 04:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I would absolutely cringe to get this gift from a relative and open it in front of a group of people.

When I was going to more bridal showers I used to buy a good margarita or other mixer, a bottle of tequila, and then a cool pitcher or set of glasses. People seemed to like it, but I don't know if most of it got regifted, so who knows.
I did have a relative buy me edible underwear for one of my bridal showers. I was absolutely mortified. I started sobbing in the middle of opening the gifts. Please do NOT do this to a bride! The family member thought it was a hilarious gift. She almost peed herself laughing at me sobbing. That's one of the 2 things I remember about my bridal shower. I've been married for 24 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Since she is your niece, perhaps you can call her and suggest that she puts more things on her gift registry.
This is an excellent idea!

Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 8,438,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Gift certificates are about the laziest thing ever. What's more, not only does it lack any thought, but it actually puts a dollar amount on their relationship with you. You might as well hand her an envelope with cash in it.

Surely where you live, there's a cool shop selling interesting knickknacks and the whatnot. Spend twenty minutes there and buy something that seems to fit her personality. She'll remember who gave it to her a lot longer than she would a place setting.
Personally - gift card > knickknacks.

Unless you know the receiver extremely well, no knickknacks. I wouldn’t even presume to buy my own sister something with the expectation that she’d want to display it in her home. That’s a very style specific and personal choice.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:00 PM

2,887 posts, read 1,160,578 times
Congratulations to your niece, OP!
Crystal bowls never go out of style.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Personally - gift card > knickknacks.

Unless you know the receiver extremely well, no knickknacks. I wouldn’t even presume to buy my own sister something with the expectation that she’d want to display it in her home. That’s a very style specific and personal choice.
Are knickknacks still a thing? I remember my grandmother and great-grandmother having shelves and shelves of dust collectors.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:48 AM

8,286 posts, read 8,697,862 times
I can't believe the people saying buy them a picture frame.

Everyone has a box full of frames in a closet. I'm a guy and I even have one. Thrift stores don't even want them.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,034,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Gift certificates are about the laziest thing ever. What's more, not only does it lack any thought, but it actually puts a dollar amount on their relationship with you. You might as well hand her an envelope with cash in it.

Surely where you live, there's a cool shop selling interesting knickknacks and the whatnot. Spend twenty minutes there and buy something that seems to fit her personality. She'll remember who gave it to her a lot longer than she would a place setting.
I understand the sentiment but in our house, 98%+ of the knickknacks we got at showers got donated pretty quickly.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:57 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,512,782 times
Something else I thought of that I've done in the past is, if they live together, or are buying a house together, a gift certificate to a local nursury or garden center where they can buy a tree or flowering shrub to plant for their yard is nice.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,034,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Romantic sexy gifts from my aunt? Oh please no! Straight into the trash. These are my mother's sisters! Ew.
Absolutely ew.

A group of our friends was talking about this exact thing a few years back, and one of our funnier, more outspoken female friends said (cleaned up for PG), "why would my auntie believe she knows what I want in my ______"

We all practically died laughing.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:17 PM

8,810 posts, read 5,115,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Are knickknacks still a thing? I remember my grandmother and great-grandmother having shelves and shelves of dust collectors.
No. Knick knacks, have gone the way of the dodo bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships