Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 05:50 PM

4,208 posts, read 2,524,848 times

Advertisements

I am dealing with the same thing. Frankly, for someone in their 30's who has been on her own, its a bit cheesy to ask for bridal shower gifts and then a wedding gift. But, first, are you going to the wedding? (My nephew's is outside in Nov. I am not going.) I just sent $$ for a wedding gift. They don't need anything really having combined two households. My other nephews and nieces tell me they wish they had gotten more $ and less stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 08:28 PM

744 posts, read 879,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
So, a holiday item is nice, but a piece of art is not. WHATEVER.
I'm sorry, I was thinking of a photo of the couple in a frame, not an actual art piece. In the 80s people would give picture frames as gifts. The bride to be would receive many frames...it got to be ridiculous.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:29 PM

744 posts, read 879,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Depending on her tastes, I would get her an art piece. Painting, blown glass sculpture...something beautiful that she will have for a long time. You do not have to spend alot of money on this either.
I agree that receiving erotica from a relative is a bit creepy.
More wonderful ideas.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,186,742 times
Since she is your niece, perhaps you can call her and suggest that she puts more things on her gift registry.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:11 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,489,326 times
Dont know how much you want to spend but a bottle of fine champagne for celebrating their first anniversary would be fun.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,255,233 times
Smile Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks for all the responses. You gave me some great ideas.

I have 8 nieces and 4 nephews. I have 4 nieces not married yet but 2 are engaged.

The shower was absolutely lovely. It was held at a beachside restaurant and only 20 of us.
Mostly friends of her mom (my sister) and then the rest of her aunts and cousins. There are a lot of us and everyone is local within 15-30 minutes of each other. (South Florida).

We got to meet the groom's mom and she is absolutely lovely.

I called my other sister and she told she wanted stuff from her wish list which consisted of all new appliances for her husband to be's home (he owns it already).

Her other wish list deals with the honeymoon which is 2 weeks in the Caribbean.

As much as I didn't want to just click and give her $$$, my other sister said that's what she really wanted; she has too much stuff, has been on her own and has tons of clothing and little things.

I clicked and gave her a beautiful card but she told me she cried as to what I wrote on her registry.

She's a lovely girl, been through a lot of relationships, has a great job. Very pretty. My sister is so happy and I'm happy for her.

She has been disappointed as all of 3 of her children are still unmarried (but now 1 is getting married).

As far as the wedding goes, she has her maid of honor and 7 bridesmaids. You can see why her registry is all purchased!

They are doing 3 tables for all the singles. I have our son still single plus his other 2 nephews. Hopefully, one of them will meet a nice girl.

I met a cool guy at a wedding once but did not realize he liked me. A few months, at college, he asked me to go a frat party which I did go to but I thought he had a girlfriend. Sometime later, I found out he liked me, no girlfriend and that his family owned a huge security firm. (LOL, missed opportunity - I was too shy to call him).

Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't know, kind of cringey to get those things from your aunt.
Cringy to get some of those things from anyone. Stuff like "an erotic illustrated book of sexual foreplay and positions, .... a long soft feather for sensual tickling, etc.' would most likely be extremely embarrassing to the recipient.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
LOL. You folks are so funny and different about your stiff puritan sociosexual taboos and sensitivities and traditions.

Anyway, it's not like the customs that I'm used to and I do apologize that I obviously offended some of you, it wasn't intentional.

I can only conclude that maybe it's cultural differences between Canadians and Americans when it comes to what's considered offensive or appropriate gifts and conduct for bridal showers for brides and stag parties for grooms.

Here where I live both kinds of parties are intended for gifting all manner of personal things for the individuals (unlike staid wedding gifts for the couple and household) and the parties are for attendance by adults only with no children or opposite gender allowed at the parties, for getting a bit tipsy, for having lots of fun with plenty of joking around on the slightly raunchy side at both the brides' and the grooms' parties.

Down there where you all are I don't know what they're like, having never attended any. But from what some of you are saying here and what I've seen here in other threads about weddings and various pre-wedding parties it kind of sounds like they're way more conservative, very serious and not intended for getting a bit tipsy, having a lot of good natured rowdy fun and lots of laughs.

Again, sorry for having given offense. But I think I really like our kinds of parties better.

PS - forgot to mention this - Registering for wedding gifts is common here, but registering for gifts for a bridal shower is unheard of.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-08-2020 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-08-2020, 10:30 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Maybe a gift card to the store where she registered?
This^^^^^^^!!!

Showers are not the time to "get creative", "cut corners" or give anything that was not requested.

1. The gift card from her favorite store is always a good idea.

2. You could also give an extra item that matches something that was always bought. Something from the same line.

3. you could give money and a small, precious gift - such as an engraved sterling silver picture frame.

4. A photographic session for the couple, from a tasteful. trendy, independent photographer. Photography is a lot more artistic than it was a quarter-century ago.

5. You can be honest with her and ask her what she would like best under the circumstances.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:39 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I am dealing with the same thing. Frankly, for someone in their 30's who has been on her own, its a bit cheesy to ask for bridal shower gifts and then a wedding gift. But, first, are you going to the wedding? (My nephew's is outside in Nov. I am not going.) I just sent $$ for a wedding gift. They don't need anything really having combined two households. My other nephews and nieces tell me they wish they had gotten more $ and less stuff.
It's not cheesy in the least.

Why should a young woman - that IS what she is, after all, deny herself the same traditions that a 19-year-old or 22-year-old expects?

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships