Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
YES! I've noticed that. I always wondered why "everyone" is Spanish in New York. Why is east Harlem referred to as Spanish Harlem?
I've wondered this too, and one theory I've heard is that the first group of Spanish speakers to come to New York were actually people from Spain. These days though, people use the term "Spanish Harlem" less, in addition to being a misnomer I don't even think the neighborhood is that Hispanic, only about 50% or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I am married to a Mex-Am from Texas and all his relatives refer to the one side of the family as "Spanish" more, so maybe it is a Texas Hispanic thing?

They used it to qualify the difference tween the 2 sides in that the "Spanish" ones either look more white or are from Spain way back, their ancestors.

The other side they don't say it usually and don't seem as proud, but I would wish they would be, are more Indian, more broad nosed and dark. But the non Spanish side still has one "Spanish" person and they always refer to her that way because although not light, her mom was from Spain.

I am fascinated by the different names people call themselves. it is not for us to judge them or tell them what to do, unless we want others to do the same to us. Another example the word Chicano is never used here. I thought it was a generational thing but it also seems more common to use that term in California. I just looked it up and even in Texas in the 70's the progressive movement folks called themselves Chicanos. To do that today in Texas would be a mistake.

As far as having a German last name, if you are not familiar with Hispanics that can throw you off, many Mexican have Germanic sounding last names like Aleman. Here is a good article about why that happens and how.https://newstaco.com/2011/06/15/lati...exist-like-me/

Most Anglos or non Hispanics not familiar with the culture have a lot of stereotypes about them. They are as diverse as any 2 average "whites", whatever "white" means.

A book I really enjoyed about New Mexico is called WE FED THEM CACTUS. Here is a line from a review "A member of an old Hispanic family, Cabeza de Baca celebrates her Spanish heritage rather than the Mestizo culture embraced by later writers." It seems in New Mexico they use the term "Spanish" as well to denote the differences tween the 2 types of Hispanics in New Mexico at the time. It is a really enjoyable read because it really makes you feel what is was like then.
In your case it sounds like he's using "Spanish" the right way, to indicate heavier Spanish ancestry rather than referring to all Hispanics as "Spanish" because they speak Spanish.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
I know someone who is 100% Spanish and he obviously considers himself Spanish. I have never known a Mexican who wants to be called Spanish. Newer immigrants usually think of themselves as Mexican...their children often prefer Latino, Hispanic or just think of themselves as Americans who happen to be of Mexican ancestry.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you are from Mexico, you are Mexican.

If you are from Spain, you are Spanish.

These countries are on two different continents.
you could be from both places or even 3

Mexican is not a race but a nationality, and so is American or Spanish. you could have them all.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
What's interesting is even if few Mexicans refer to themselves as Spanish they often have a higher % of Spanish DNA than people who identify with other European countries of origin. For example a Mexican could have 60%+ Spanish DNA (which is common) and never say they are Spanish while someone who is 39% German will often say they are German.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM

If you are calling anyone "Hispanic" you are calling them Spanish, as Hispanic=Spanish in Latin. So it is correct call anyone that speak the Spanish language Spanish . People from Spain are called Spaniards.

it is kind of an archaic from, as it is preferred to use the nationality and not just call them by the language they speak.

by the way, no one that call themselves "Spanish" is trying to be white or from Spain, its making the point they come from a Spanish speaking country.

People from Spain are Spaniards
There is no language called Spanish the real name is Castilian
As there is no language called Chinese but Mandarin and Cantonese.
Spanish is used to refer to everything related to Spain, including the language.

"Spanish" is an adjective, denoting that a person (or object) originates or from Spain.
"spaniard" is a noun, meaning "person from Spain".

this difference is what generates the confusion as some people from Latin america see their culture and language as originating is Spain (this mostly happends when talking to non-Latin people.) rarely among Latin Americans.

people think that calling anyone "spanish" is incorrect but calling them "hispanic" is jajajaja people are funny.

Last edited by upthere22; 03-01-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you are from Mexico, you are Mexican.

If you are from Spain, you are Spanish.

These countries are on two different continents.
Lots of people claim to be Irish or British and have never even been there nor do they have that citizenship.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If I let every passing, uncorraborated anecdote from the internet into what I consider my gnosis, I, and society in general, would probably cease to exist from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

Supposedly the first anecdote you heard was from a co-worker who was telling about her family, or 'people she knows' (you seem undecided on that), not from the internet. Either way, my comment stands. You never heard it before, but now you have.

PS if comments on here don't mean anything to you, why did you post on here seeking comments?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Supposedly the first anecdote you heard was from a co-worker who was telling about her family, or 'people she knows' (you seem undecided on that), not from the internet. Either way, my comment stands. You never heard it before, but now you have.

PS if comments on here don't mean anything to you, why did you post on here seeking comments?
americans are funny people

they stopped calling African Americans "Negro", Spanish for Black, to call them black in English.
they stopped calling latinos-americans "spanish" to call them spanish but in Latin (Hispanic)
what would be next?, dont call white people "white" call them "blanch" WTF

Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Crashj007 if you go around Spain and in conversation mention the word "Hispanic".
It will be assumed you are referring to the people's of south and central america that speak the Spanish language.
not true, the term used in Spain to refer to latin americans is Latino not hispano
if you say the word hispano, they will think you are talking about spain.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
americans are funny people

they stopped calling African Americans "Negro", Spanish for Black, to call them black in English.
they stopped calling latinos-americans "spanish" to call them spanish but in Latin (Hispanic)
what would be next?, dont call white people "white" call them "blanch" WTF
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships