Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times

Advertisements

My answer is yes, absolutely.
I think you're tracking with normal behavior/thought/reasoning. I wonder if there was something you don't know about involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 12:10 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
My wife has a sister she has not talked to in ten years who is in a hospital dying of cancer. I understand the sister will likely die within a month. The dying sister is in a hospital 500 miles away from where we live.

I asked my wife why she does not call her sister up on the phone or plan a trip to visit her. My wife said, "why should I, we have not talked to each other for the last ten years when she was well, why now?"

The sister dying of cancer and my wife never had a major blow up but just had a cold distant relationship. Nothing in common and their personalities did not match, so they just stopped communicating.

I don't know what to make of it. On one hand, if siblings don't talk to each other for ten years when they are healthy, maybe making an effort when one of them is dying is hypocritical. But maybe when someone is dying, that is a time to be an adult and make amends.

What about you? If you had a brother or sister you had such a distant cold relationship with that you had not talked to them in ten years, would you drive 500 miles to visit them at the hospital on their death bed?
No. There is a significant reason siblings would lose communication. Different personalities does not cut it as a good reason. They mutually chose to cut contact so they are out of each other's lives. It's crazy to choose now at this late time to have a relationship.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:13 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
I don't care what my past was with my sibling. And I know that a last minute visit with that sibling on their deathbed doesn't make amends for anything. But I would forever be ashamed and disappointed with myself if I did not go to visit, and for me it's as simple as that. There are reasons that family members separate, sometime live a life of hatred towards each other. But once that person leaves the earth, it's over. I would visit for me as a acknowledgement that I always knew I had a sibling and not for some reason like rekindling the relationship at the last minute. And hopefully my sibling in their final hours might actually appreciate the gesture as their life comes to a close.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:28 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,846 times
Default Make Amends

Quote:
My wife has a sister she has not talked to in ten years who is in a hospital dying of cancer. I understand the sister will likely die within a month. The dying sister is in a hospital 500 miles away from where we live.

I asked my wife why she does not call her sister up on the phone or plan a trip to visit her. My wife said, "why should I, we have not talked to each other for the last ten years when she was well, why now?"

The sister dying of cancer and my wife never had a major blow up but just had a cold distant relationship. Nothing in common and their personalities did not match, so they just stopped communicating.

I don't know what to make of it. On one hand, if siblings don't talk to each other for ten years when they are healthy, maybe making an effort when one of them is dying is hypocritical. But maybe when someone is dying, that is a time to be an adult and make amends.

What about you? If you had a brother or sister you had such a distant cold relationship with that you had not talked to them in ten years, would you drive 500 miles to visit them at the hospital on their death bed?
Don't leave grudges in place, she should make amends, go visit her sister before she dies otherwise she will carry it as a burden forever after her sister passes.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
She is not dead yet. A broken heart while she is still alive is very real.
Sorry. A lot went unsaid in my post. What you say is very true but the pain will not be as long for the dying sister.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't get involved. It's up to your wife and her sister, and it's no one else's business except theirs.

I do have a brother who has had nothing to do with our family for at least 40 years, his choice. I wouldn't go visit him unless he specifically asked me to. He knows how to contact me. Everyone does what makes them comfortable, including your wife and her sister.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Nope. No visits to my brother or sister unless they asked me to come. And financially, I really couldn't anyway. If they called, I would talk to them. But they made themselves so unpleasant to me, in different ways, prior to 2005.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
If the wife will have no regrets and the sister in the hospital doesn't really care, well, then what's the point of visiting?

A phone call may be easier and help decide if a 500 mile trip is warranted. Although a phone call may be harder, since what does one say to an estranged family member when you've not talked to them for years and now they're dying?

Dying is inevitable, there's no getting out of it. Dying comfortably is the best you can hope for. The way I see it, dead isn't so bad, dying sucks though. But, that's just me, other folks will have other opinions. A lot of folks are all afraid of becoming dead and or being dead, so that will color things, too. If wife is really afraid of death, that could be another reason she'd not want to contact her dying sister.

As for the living, will there be regrets afterwards from either path? Will she feel better about herself later if she goes to visit? Or will that then change her memory of her sister from 'healthy but estranged' to 'dying person in a hospital'?

The other consideration is the attitude of the folks around the wife. If they are really negative about her not visiting her sister and they find out she didn't visit, then instead of regrets, she may experience loss of social standing.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
The wife (sister) has made her decision. The OP should respect that. Some people make way too much theatrics out of the dying process.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Only if my brother was retired now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships