Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:58 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,246 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer honesty, especially if it came from a family member, than being lied to. Just me though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 05:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
I have a cousin like this. Guy would call me fat, say I have no style etc. The kicker is he has a huge beer gut (I am far from this body type) and dresses like hes going to a club circa 1980's. Never liked dealing with it.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you Op. I hadn't been 'aware' that I was doing this in my family get together. My one niece whom I adore..often gets my attention. She is a bit timid and needs some encouragement...little did I 'realize' that my compliments to her were seen as a put down to my other kin. This is meant sincerely ..I reckon it's time I wo"man up on this flaw and do a better job at impartial compliments.

Being sincere is going to be a challenge for my one nephew...I'm going to really need to be creative in how I compliment him. He tends to think he is already 'above' everyone else... (arrogant ). Maybe I'll tell him I admire his imagination ....
And ... You don't HAVE to compliment them.

You could just engage them in conversation about what they are doing and what interests them. Sometimes compliments, especially when you TRY to think of something to compliment, can make kids uncomfortable.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:05 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Try to deflect it with a comment like "Beauty is only skin deep" or "Don't judge a book by its cover" and then compliment someone else on - their great career, their fashion sense, their wonderful family, their charitable works -- you get the picture.

I like to joke that my sister got the looks, brains, and ambition in the family, but truthfully I would not trade places with her as she is short in the love and kindness department. Which I have plenty of.
I guess you didn't know that your sister reads this forum?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Just sayin’ this is not normal in my universe at all. Neither in my original or any in-law family (I’ve had a few!). And there have always been some really pretty females and a few that were quite overweight or less pretty.
I agree. This is not normally done in my family either.

OP, just walk away when someone starts with this.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:05 AM

23,893 posts, read 33,638,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Our family has a few members who are considered "better looking" than the others. This happens in each generation. At gatherings, inevitably this is commented upon, especially when these individuals are female.

And trying not to sound like a humble brag (because its NOT), I am one of those people. I am 40 now, so I would have hoped it would stop. No. Standing next to a similarly aged female relative at a recent gathering I was compared to her (not favorably for her) by another relative, told "your husband must be really handsome!" and that I was part of the "good genes" that "not everyone got." This is incredibly awkward and not complimentary. And the comments went on. Many of these were from older men which gives it a different level of ickiness as I am related to them in some way.

I saw this behavior repeated with other younger relatives. Its nice to be considered attractive, but not the be all end all. And it creates animus between siblings, cousins, etc. Its just not necessary. Women do have other skills that they work hard to develop. People grow into different looks over time. Its just not positive to constantly call this out.
It sure does create animosity. I'm living proof of that. I never asked to look different then my siblings. It's not my fault what "genes" I got from both parents. I have a cousin who got really good genes too; the blue eyes and dark hair. What a beautiful woman she's always been but she has bad health that I also have too.

We were compared in school too. I was the C, D student while they were the A, B students. They were bankers while I pumped gas or cut hair. I never brought home the amount of money they did.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM

926 posts, read 755,112 times
It was like this a bit in my family, too. I remember getting together with extended relatives, and how one of my aunts would compliment my siblings on how attractive they were becoming. (this being back when we were teenagers)

Which made me feel bad, because this aunt would make these comments around/in front of me, so I felt like she was indirectly saying that I was ugly compared to my siblings.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree. This is not normally done in my family either.

OP, just walk away when someone starts with this.
I agree on the walk away part. I did that myself, even though in my mind I went to town on the cousin insultung me as I had more ammo on him then he did me so to speak. They dont change, the situation doesnt either and life is too short.

You can choose your friends only as they say....

Old 10-07-2018, 05:09 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Don't be ridiculous. What if the target of the intended advice is 8 or 18? They don't always have the wherewithal to take that kind of criticism.
Absolutely. My family, on both sides, tends to be vain and narcissistic, My maternal grandmother chose a favorite child among her grandchildren in each family. The animus it causes among us is still dividing grown siblings and cousins today, some of whom have carried it on in there own families.

Others have stopped it. To stop it one must remove one's self from the family.

As a child, even after being singled out as very pretty, I was way too fragile and needy in my own way to deflect the compliment. I was also afraid of the older person who was complimenting me. Afraid of rejection. And pobably on some level - afraid it would end.

When children are singled out like that, they pay for it later. The children who are not singled out, more obviously pay for it, instantly. I can understand their bitterness.

I had a cousin who had the audacity of having a slight weight problem. I loved her and had a lot of fun with her, growing up. I was her maid of honor at her wedding.
However, as a result, I was the recipient of much of her pent up anger as an adult. What could have been a nice, lifelong relationship, is so strained that we barely speak.

This kind of competition among children is fuled by the narcisisim of adults. It is toxic,

Old 10-07-2018, 05:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Now this is a harsh complication to throw into this discussion, but one reason that there's so much variation in characteristics among siblings in a family, is that about 25% of children born to couples, have a biological father other than the one who is in residence. There's a large bunch of cousins in my family and this is the reason that the youngest one looks totally different than all the others. The guy from the neighboring farm was her biological father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships