Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm 42 years old, and it's never really been acceptable to use (in reference to a human being) within my lifetime... and unless there was some public vote on the matter, blaming this on "the left" is just hyperbole.

Language is a living, breathing, ever-changing entity; and while you are technically free to say whatever you want, refusing to adapt to widespread changes is just plain obstinate. At some point we've stopped using many terms that are now considered offensive, like "colored" or "negro" to describe black/AA people, and I personally don't care why. I'm not a fan of overly-PC nonsense, but this is an easy and harmless way to show respect for other people. What's wrong with that?
You could not be more wrong.

The change in "fashion" occurred much more recently than 42 years ago.

And, of course, it's the Left that's responsible -- there's no other possibility. This is political correctness. That comes from the Left.

As for showing respect for other people, what are you talking about? Orientals had nothing to do with the adoption of the new politically correct term. "Oriental" is not offensive. No one ever claimed it was. The Left changed the politically correct term for reasons that had nothing to do with "respect" for anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 01:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You could not be more wrong.

The change in "fashion" occurred much more recently than 42 years ago.

And, of course, it's the Left that's responsible -- there's no other possibility. This is political correctness. That comes from the Left.

As for showing respect for other people, what are you talking about? Orientals had nothing to do with the adoption of the new politically correct term. "Oriental" is not offensive. No one ever claimed it was. The Left changed the politically correct term for reasons that had nothing to do with "respect" for anybody.
The change began in the 1960's, over fifty years ago, engineered by Asian/oriental students in California - not simply a "possibility" but actual fact. Some of those people with familial origins in the Far East really did take offense, even if you did not. Your venture into "political correctness" and the "Left" has no basis in anything but I'm sure it pleases you to place whatever blame must be placed on some partisan boogie man.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I don't think it's a "partisan boogieman," the far left is obsessed with identity politics and believes that your opinion about anything is invalid unless you're part of some oppressed group. Then they insist on constantly changing the "accepted terms" so that now it's not LQBT but LGBTQA+ or whatever, when I can tell you from having many gay friends they don't want to be lumped in with transexuals whatsoever and see nothing in common between them and that group of people. Most people have no interest in "political correctness" and furthermore, most people I would associate with have no concern for "offending" other people because we realize it's not my problem if someone else is offended, that's THEIR problem, they need to get their own emotions under control. Grow up, be a big boy, and get control of yourself, stop expecting the world to do it for you.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The change began in the 1960's, over fifty years ago, engineered by Asian/oriental students in California - not simply a "possibility" but actual fact. Some of those people with familial origins in the Far East really did take offense, even if you did not. Your venture into "political correctness" and the "Left" has no basis in anything but I'm sure it pleases you to place whatever blame must be placed on some partisan boogie man.
This is an interesting article:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...nap-story.html

I have a brother and a grandson who are both adopted from Korea, and both have Korean ancestry. I lived in Japan as a kid. I have a deep respect for Far East culture and history. So this is especially interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships