Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

Like all of us, I’ve had a few friendships fade away, and the fading was clearly intended by the former friend. There was no falling out and the friend didn’t move; it was just clear that the friendship quietly ended. No discussion and no hard feelings; it happens.

Twice recently, the former friend has reached out (by email) to get together. We’re all straight middle-aged guys and perhaps they were short of friends and figured that maybe rekindling an old friendship was the way to go. Or maybe they didn’t intend to end the friendship; who knows.

I’m not interested and didn’t bother responding. Sorry- don’t end the friendship and expect me to be there when you want. I don’t miss the friendship and I thought that it ended at the right time.

How about you: when friendships fade and the person lives nearby, do you welcome the former friend reaching out?

Last edited by PuppiesandKittens; 12-16-2018 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 04:48 PM

51 posts, read 33,701 times
Depends on my feelings towards that individual. But I prefer to end friendships by talking to them then let it fade out.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I don't take it personally when friends have not kept in touch. They're busy, I'm busy, life happens. So when somebody I haven't heard from in a while reaches out, I respond, favorably. I enjoyed their company in the past, so why would I assume I wouldn't going forward, or, they mine?

If you haven't missed the friendship, then they weren't actual friends, they were just people you knew.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:45 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
If someone is my friend, they are my friend - from your posts it doesn't appear that you did anything ever to keep up relationships - what is wrong w/someone touching base with you?

Old 12-16-2018, 05:49 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
You sound bitter. You aren't even sure if the person intended to end the friendship. Sometimes friendships slow down. It doesn't necessarily mean something was wrong or that it ended.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

I’m not interested and didn’t bother responding. Sorry- don’t end the friendship and expect me to be there when you want. I don’t miss the friendship and I thought that it ended at the right time.

How about you: when friendships fade and the person lives nearby, do you welcome the former friend reaching out?
Yes, I welcome them reaching out. I"m not going to hold a grudge because the friendship faded for a while. Perhaps they got busy with other things in their life. Sure, I guess you can "get even with them" by not responding or telling them to go away.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 12-16-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 09:28 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
If the friendship ended, in most cases I wouldn't want to rekindle that friendship. I can see communicating on social media occasionally just to see what that person is up to but an in person meeting is a whole different story. When I first got a Facebook account I connected with a few people from my past and even met an old college buddy for lunch when he traveled to my city but that's it. We were both content to just meet once, talk a little and then go on with our lives. But this guy contacting you out of the blue seems a little strange but then again you don't really know what he's thinking. Hopefully your former friend gets the hint that you don't want to meet him again. BTW is it more than one person as you mentioned "all" in your post? Does he want to have a get together of a group of people?

Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I've had a surprising number of people from the past reach out to me. It must be the Internet. I've even email from a couple of frenemies, people I would not associate with again under any circumstances.

Someone from my past contacted me recently. I usually don't respond to these but this one I did. Complications ensued -- this person has always been exclusively about their own precious self -- and I'm reminded once again that people never really change.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 AM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
If a friendship had faded without any animosity or for an obvious reason there's no reason not to welcome them. Why would you question it? I don't keep scores on all my friendships (who did the last favor, who owed who a favor, who last called, who holds some petty grudge over the other, etc) tallied up in a ledger. I don't automatically place the blame for the faded relationship on them either. That smacks of resentment and could be misplaced. If you question their motivation you are holding onto baggage. Be honest.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:13 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
If I myself enjoyed the friendship the yeah sure, I'd rekindle it. Who knows what the heck was going on in the other persons life to make them fade away. Maybe they went through a depression or something and are now trying to get back to normal, it could be a million little things.

I'm guilty of meeting up with old acquaintances who've contacted me out of the blue, even when I didn't know them that well or particularly have fun hanging out with them. I guess I'm always thinking that if someone I'm not close to is desperate enough to contact me to hang out I don't want to reject them, and getting coffee or whatever could be fun. If it's not, it's just coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships