Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Like all of us, I’ve had a few friendships fade away, and the fading was clearly intended by the former friend. There was no falling out and the friend didn’t move; it was just clear that the friendship quietly ended. No discussion and no hard feelings; it happens.

Twice recently, the former friend has reached out (by email) to get together. We’re all straight middle-aged guys and perhaps they were short of friends and figured that maybe rekindling an old friendship was the way to go. Or maybe they didn’t intend to end the friendship; who knows.

I’m not interested and didn’t bother responding. Sorry- don’t end the friendship and expect me to be there when you want. I don’t miss the friendship and I thought that it ended at the right time.

How about you: when friendships fade and the person lives nearby, do you welcome the former friend reaching out?
It sounds to me like you're at the point before everybody you know who is going to have kids, has had kids.

Once you reach that point, you'll see the definition of 'fading away'.

Right now, I don't have any animosity with anybody in life (that I can think of).

I'd be glad to hang out with them, though it might be awkward in a few situations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I would reach out to them, but wouldn't go too far out of my way.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Like all of us, I’ve had a few friendships fade away, and the fading was clearly intended by the former friend. There was no falling out and the friend didn’t move; it was just clear that the friendship quietly ended. No discussion and no hard feelings; it happens.

Twice recently, the former friend has reached out (by email) to get together. We’re all straight middle-aged guys and perhaps they were short of friends and figured that maybe rekindling an old friendship was the way to go. Or maybe they didn’t intend to end the friendship; who knows.

I’m not interested and didn’t bother responding. Sorry- don’t end the friendship and expect me to be there when you want. I don’t miss the friendship and I thought that it ended at the right time.

How about you: when friendships fade and the person lives nearby, do you welcome the former friend reaching out?

Absolutely.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM

325 posts, read 207,665 times
My attitude towards people in general is...If I'm the one always reaching out or giving.. then the other party isn't interested in the relationship. I don't even bother with rationalizing why or what their excuses might be. I move on...period. I also do not revisit.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
It all depends on the situation for me. If it's something that just simply faded and I don't have hard feelings over it, I would probably welcome it. Recently, someone reached out to me who I really don't care for. I tolerated her because I was friends with her significant other. I was kind and responded to her texts, and said ok when she suggested we go out for lunch or dinner....until it became apparent that she really only was reaching out because she wanted me to buy her junk jewelry that she makes. She waited 2-3 days and then asked me if I was coming to her whatever party where I'd have to sit through some crap and be pressured into buying her junk. I just didn't respond and blocked her number.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
It happens all too seldom.

Staying connected is healthy even if it's just to tie up some loose ends. You never know what they may have for you.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:48 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
It is pretty common in my circles to kinda just fade away.. I don't take it personally. My closest friends always stay in contact....

I don't mind if they reach out to me... kinda get excited to catch up when they do.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 AM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
Sometimes I miss BFF's from high school, but then I realize that I have changed a whole lot since then, and so, likely, has the BFF. So, if I were to try to rekindle, it likely wouldn't amount to much of a new friendship.

Merry meet and merry depart---hopefully.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
I would, but it never happens. If anyone initiates a reconnection, it's always me. And my friends usually lose interest in me before I do in them.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:

I give it a chance but sometimes going in different paths makes it too difficult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships