Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times

Advertisements

I don't generally mind although I am not usually the one instigating conversation. Sometimes I admit I am a little amazed at the personal things people will tell me. I never say anything judgemental although I may be judging like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 06:54 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
generally if a random stranger approaches you and talks to you , they have some ulterior motive, they are trying to hustle you or sell you something, or worse case scenario rob you.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
generally if a random stranger approaches you and talks to you , they have some ulterior motive, they are trying to hustle you or sell you something, or worse case scenario rob you.
Usually, yes. Although, I have found that family and so-called "friends" tend to do that as well.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I take public transportation now, so I'm often in situations where someone wants to talk to me, or I feel talkative.

Most people will figure out whether or not someone feels like chatting. In the event they aren't getting the hint, most people simply retreat by looking at their phones. I always have a book that I can open and look at when I don't feel like talking anymore - or at all. And if I am talking to someone who simply starts looking at their phone or a book, etc., I get the hint they don't want to talk, and pull out my own book.

I like chatting with most strangers. For me, it's so much less complicated than a real friendship. With a stranger, you can ask them questions, have a nice chat, and normally, not have to worry about any on-going relationship, when expectations will eventually become an issue. With strangers, there are normally zero expectations, other than simple good manners. That's refreshing for me and I enjoy talking to strangers mainly because there are no long-term expectations. It's just a pure interaction of basic human interest or kindness, which is nice.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I've had some great conversations with strangers, and some fun exchanges. Some people have a great sense of humor and spontaneity. The only unwelcome stranger encounter I recall was in an airport, where a woman latched onto me in the boarding area, and proceeded to drone on and on. The attendant making seat assignments (this must have been SW Airlines?) without consulting me assigned her to the seat next to me! I had to listen to her drone on and on the whole flight! I could've killed that boarding agent, lol.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I have a nephew who, at 13 is guaranteed to strike up a conversation wherever he is, with whomever he sees, regardless of age. I admire it. Sometimes folks seem a little shocked, especially older folks but he is just so genuine that people let their guard down. We were recently in line at Security at the airport when he struck up a conversation with an elderly man holding a guitar case. He was asking the man if he was”any good” on the guitar or, just carried it around to impress the ladies. I was slightly mortified but after we got through the gate, as I was putting my shoes back on I hear this incredible riff on a guitar. I looked over to see the old man playing, right there past the gate into the airport. He looks at my nephew and says “What do you think?” I just thought, how cool to be able to be so spontaneous like that and get folks to reciprocate.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've had some great conversations with strangers, and some fun exchanges. Some people have a great sense of humor and spontaneity. The only unwelcome stranger encounter I recall was in an airport, where a woman latched onto me in the boarding area, and proceeded to drone on and on. The attendant making seat assignments (this must have been SW Airlines?) without consulting me assigned her to the seat next to me! I had to listen to her drone on and on the whole flight! I could've killed that boarding agent, lol.
With someone like this, I generally find a way to make some excuses. Sorry, I've got a lot of work to do, or sorry, I'm recovering from being sick and just need my quiet time. No need to have to put up with that.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

So if you are a person who hates when strangers try to strike up a convo...be it in line for ice cream, on a long flight or...what ever. Tell me what you don't like about it? I really don't understand.
You don't want my answer bc I actually enjoy speaking with strangers and learning new things. But I will answer about the times that I don't. And what's when people don't pick up on social cues and keep rambling on about themselves or become inappropriate. Sense the mood and understand when it's time to stop the conversation and let everyone get back to what they were doing.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:43 AM

417 posts, read 191,037 times
I like chatting with people. If they don't want to chat, that's fine, then I'll keep to myself. Sometimes I learn something interesting by chatting with someone new. Isn't that why were all on CD? I think that people who hate to chat with strangers are missing out.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I like chatting with most strangers. For me, it's so much less complicated than a real friendship. With a stranger, you can ask them questions, have a nice chat, and normally, not have to worry about any on-going relationship, when expectations will eventually become an issue. With strangers, there are normally zero expectations, other than simple good manners. That's refreshing for me and I enjoy talking to strangers mainly because there are no long-term expectations. It's just a pure interaction of basic human interest or kindness, which is nice.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships