Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

I'm SO very sorry you're in this sad situation. I feel for you so much!!! Not only is NONE of your family on your side...NOT your parents, brother, sister & SIL, but because you're deaf, they really isolate you & make you feel like the invisible family member. And due to no fault of your own, you have to depend on these cold, heartless people! This really infuriates me.

If only they were warm, caring, & loving, but they're NOT, your life would be so much better!

Does anyone ever have a pleasant conversation w/ you AT ALL ever? Does anyone know sign language OR took the time to learn it because they care about you & love you? They SHOULD!

I understand the feeling because although my fiance' doesn't have a disability, he's treated like the invisible family member too w/ his entire family & there are 5 others besides him, but thank God he doesn't live w/ them or have to depend on them for anything.

I'm glad you have that 1 true friend you said you have. Thank God for her. Can't you move in w/ her at all? I'd be practically begging her to move in w/ her if I were you. If she's such a GOOD friend, she should HATE how you're being treated by your entire family & want to help you. It would pain me so incredibly much if I had a good friend in your situation that I'd want to help her out as much as I could.

Do you do any kind of work?
What do you do for fun? You can't have a license, so you have to depend on others to take you places.

HOW ARE YOU EVER GOING TO BE FREE & HAPPY? Will you be living like this for the rest of your life because it sounds so sad & hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
It’s really difficult for people with disabilities to be single and make it on their own. I’ve seen this with my own 2 eyes. It’s not easy. Most who are Deaf are underemployed or on disability of some sort. Many of my Deaf friends who are single are financially dependent on their friends or family to help out.

Being a woman and physically weak in strength makes it harder to want me to live in an area that I can barely afford but has higher rates of crime
I agree. It does seem tough for deaf & other disabled people. My cousin married a woman w/ a deaf son & he must be in his early 30s by now & still lives w/ them at home. I don't personally know him well, but from what I know & have heard of his situation, he's isolated & often ignored by his family who are his real mother, stepfather, & 1/2 brother. He probably has a sad life. They don't seem to take him anywhere either. They're more burdened by him. I feel sorry for him & you too. I'm praying for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Do you do any kind of work?
What do you do for fun? You can't have a license, so you have to depend on others to take you places.
Did you actually read the original post? She's mad because when she comes home from work, her visiting SIL has sometimes parked in her parking spot. You know, for her car.

And as we learned later in the thread, she is not completely without hearing.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Obviously, not a very warm and loving family. You evidently see your relatives (at least, the sister in law) first and foremost in terms of how much they annoy you and inconvenience you, rather than how much joy and happiness they bring into your life. Seems pretty clear they (or at least, some of them) see you the same way. That's the real issue; the hoo-hah about the parking space is just what brought it to a boil.

The way you get along with your sister-in-law and (apparently) some of your family members is probably not going to change. If it were me, I'd let this parking thing go, because to an outside observer, frankly it sounds incredibly petty. Now keep in mind, I'm not saying that it is incredibly petty, or that you're incredibly petty for banging away at it. I'm just saying that for most people, if you explain that you're angry at your sister-in-law because she makes you park 10 feet closer to rodents, they're going to think you're nuts, and it's just going to add to the drama and the friction.

You don't like each other. Just let it go and move on. I understand that you have resentments against them, and it sounds like you have excellent reasons. But if you let yourself get riled up by little things like this, it's not going to help anyone. I think you're better off letting things like this roll off your back until you're in a position where you can get out of there and build a more independent life for yourself.

Good luck. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Did you actually read the original post? She's mad because when she comes home from work, her visiting SIL has sometimes parked in her parking spot. You know, for her car.

And as we learned later in the thread, she is not completely without hearing.
Yes, I read it, but made an error when I added that one statement & yes, I read where someone asked her how did she overhear others talking about her when she's in the back seat of the car. Someone who doesn't have their FULL capabilities will still have a harder way to go in life than the person w/ full-working senses, so I still feel for her & the horrendous ways her $#itty family treats her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships