Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's so refreshing to travel in Europe, especially Ireland and the UK, people actually can have conversations about various subjects. All Americans know how to say when they meet someone say a party is "what do you do?".
This. It seems to be the first and sometimes, only, thing that people ask in America. "What do you do?" It gets old. It also puts someone on the spot if they are having career problems or just laid off from a job. And frankly I think the question is all about trying to size up how much money someone might have. Which really can't be determined just from the type of job they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Years ago I watched a lovely film called Educating Rita with Michael Caine and Julie Walters. The story was essentially a hairdresser that wanted to better her life and her financial situation. She went to college between the salon and home and struggled but graduated. Quite an achievement given her circumstances but in the end she lost her entire community, friends, family, husband. (They didn't support or understand her.) All they saw was Rita's studies ebbing her away from them and before she could leave them, they essentially closed ranks and pulled the plug on her. She was a woman without a country and it turned out to be a bittersweet victory as she struggled to find her place in life. It depends on many things but sometimes better isn't better. And sometimes it is.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:31 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Excellent comments. Jackie Kennedy said "If you fail as a parent, it really doesn't matter what success you have in life".

Being kind to people and making a difference is so much more important

It's so refreshing to travel in Europe, especially Ireland and the UK, people actually can have conversations about various subjects. All Americans know how to say when they meet someone say a party is "what do you do?".
Yes, it is nice in some other places they don't bombard you with talk about work.

I don't know why we immediately go to that in the US.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
The OP's last post in this thread was #24.

Exactly 100 posts ago.

I hope he learned something.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The OP's last post in this thread was #24.

Exactly 100 posts ago.

I hope he learned something.
Imagine the person that OP is talking about. I'm sure OP didn't discuss this with them and here over 124 posts from strangers on the internet debating the validity of that person's life decisions.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
From my perspective, the very best in life is being happy and content. That has nothing to do with one's job, money or education.
As much as I'm not particularly ambitious, I can't agree with the above. A certain minimum amount of money definitely matters. A good, basic education matters. Being able to think critically matters. Having a job that you like--or at least do not hate--matters, etc. All of these things, while certainly not a guarantee, most definitely increase one's odds of being happy.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM

66 posts, read 39,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I’m really not judging this girl. I just think if there are more opportunities out there, why not take them?
You really think they are more opportunities? I don’t know where you live but just having a college degree doesn’t really do much these days. If you live I a big city each better job will have 100 applicants, most positions will need connections, or be ready to intern for a year. Usually for free. Not to mention back stabbing, favoritisms and all that can come up in office settings. Not to mention her having to compete with younger women for some jobs. Let’s say she tries for office admin entry. She has no chance, and any other admin will be looking for 3-5 yrs experience.
Or let’s say she gets a associate in dental hygiene, low paying position for amount off work done , but lots off debt to get training . Lots of online schools are not worth on paper. Recruiter will always pick applicants from a more known college.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying_to_easy View Post
You really think they are more opportunities? I don’t know where you live but just having a college degree doesn’t really do much these days. If you live I a big city each better job will have 100 applicants, most positions will need connections, or be ready to intern for a year. Usually for free. Not to mention back stabbing, favoritisms and all that can come up in office settings. Not to mention her having to compete with younger women for some jobs. Let’s say she tries for office admin entry. She has no chance, and any other admin will be looking for 3-5 yrs experience.
Or let’s say she gets a associate in dental hygiene, low paying position for amount off work done , but lots off debt to get training . Lots of online schools are not worth on paper. Recruiter will always pick applicants from a more known college.
That is ridiculously negative. Plenty of entry level positions get filled by community college people or someone with a certificate or just some knowledge in the field. I'm sure it depends on the area, but there is opportunity out there now if you want to find it.

Food store woman in the OP probably just likes where she is.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted before but an acquaintance of mine got me thinking

She is 37. Dropped out of college, has no degree (not even associates) and works @ a food store. Now there is nothing wrong with this, she obviously earns enough to make a living, but for me, I don't understand why someone like this would not take measures to get themselves into a better job situation.

I have no idea if she is happy doing that job or not, I just know for myself, I am ambitious and I would do something like that as a temporary situation while either trying to go back to school or get a new job, but this woman has been in the same scenario since 20 years old.

This person doesn't seem to do want to do either. I get college isn't cheap, but with online colleges being the new thing now & the fact that she IS working, I don't see online college being so out of reach for her. They are very accommodating to working people and if she looked into financial assistance, maybe she would qualify .. or you take out a loan like a responsible adult.

Does anyone know anyone like this? If she is happy, it's not anyone's place to judge, but I don't really understand this mindset. Wouldn't you want to strive for the very best in life?

As you say you have no idea if she is happy or not. If she's content with her job that's great. Wouldn't work for me but that's me and not her.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 PM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is ridiculously negative. Plenty of entry level positions get filled by community college people or someone with a certificate or just some knowledge in the field. I'm sure it depends on the area, but there is opportunity out there now if you want to find it.

Food store woman in the OP probably just likes where she is.
It may be negative but it's not inaccurate. My son graduated with a BS last year and is still looking for a job in his field after 9 months in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area . "Entry level" jobs are asking for 3 to 5 years real work experience on top of the degree. His loans have come due but the supposed increased income has not materialized. At this point he's technically worse off than before he went to college since he left a full time blue collar job with benefits to take a lower paying no benefits temp job in order to try and gain some experience in his field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships