Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay...Because it's always good to have a built-in support system. Let me count the ways.

1. They can watch your apartment and feed your cat while you're away.
2. You can borrow salt or butter or whatever when you find you're out at the last minute while cooking.
3. If your car breaks down and you need to be at work, they can give you a ride.
4. Unless you're a complete sociopath, a good neighbor is a built-in friend.
5. The list goes on and on.

Of course, what they can do for you, you can do for them.
I see, so neighbors are there for your convenience. Well, remember that if you take advantage of this resource that you will be required in return to:

1. Watch their apartment and feed their cat(s) while they are away (and possibly be held responsible if someone breaks in or if there is a water leak or a gas leak requiring you to stay up until 3 am moving precious items out so that they will not be damaged, not to mention bringing their cat over to your house.

2. Allow them will borrow salt, or butter or *whatever* from you. Regularly, and not pay it back.

3. Be available if their car breaks down they will call YOU for a ride to work. Of course, they have a 40 minute commute on the New Jersey Turnpike, and it will be January in the worst weather on record for the last 170 years.

4. Be their friend. They will call you 30 times a day just to ask "whats new?" or they will cry on your shoulder endlessly about their 40 year old drug-addict daughter who has taken up with a known wife beater, etc., etc., etc. How, back in '39 they drove the old "Model T" from Joplin to Los Angeles on Route 66 with agonizing detail of every single mile along the way....ad infinitum ad nauseum.

5. And it goes on and on and on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,336 times
That's funny!....one question, however.......WHAT WAS SHE THINKING????.....
wow, that could be dangerous but I guess if she did it during the day and let someone know she was doing it, I suppose she was safe enough, but that's too bold for me by half.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I see, so neighbors are there for your convenience. Well, remember that if you take advantage of this resource that you will be required in return to:

1. Watch their apartment and feed their cat(s) while they are away (and possibly be held responsible if someone breaks in or if there is a water leak or a gas leak requiring you to stay up until 3 am moving precious items out so that they will not be damaged, not to mention bringing their cat over to your house.

2. Allow them will borrow salt, or butter or *whatever* from you. Regularly, and not pay it back.

3. Be available if their car breaks down they will call YOU for a ride to work. Of course, they have a 40 minute commute on the New Jersey Turnpike, and it will be January in the worst weather on record for the last 170 years.

4. Be their friend. They will call you 30 times a day just to ask "whats new?" or they will cry on your shoulder endlessly about their 40 year old drug-addict daughter who has taken up with a known wife beater, etc., etc., etc. How, back in '39 they drove the old "Model T" from Joplin to Los Angeles on Route 66 with agonizing detail of every single mile along the way....ad infinitum ad nauseum.

5. And it goes on and on and on.....
Gosh, it's worked out for me. I'm sorry that you can't your friends on one hand. I wonder why?

Old 07-14-2008, 12:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,934,589 times
2 of the neighbors I know have been a blessing since we've been able to watch each other's mail, get rides to/from the airport, a helping hand for handyman stuff, etc.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
2 of the neighbors I know have been a blessing since we've been able to watch each other's mail, get rides to/from the airport, a helping hand for handyman stuff, etc.
I wouldn't mind such blessings, either, particularly the last one!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
No i don't do that. And i hate getting those "howdy neighbor, welcome to the neighboorhood visits." Meaning "i don't know you and i need to take a look in your house" whatever
When I lived in Phoenix, no I never did introduce myself to the neighbors (there's some wild folks Phoenix in some areas). But since moving to Prescott Valley people are a little more laid back and will help you when they can (only if you're really nice to them and there's not much gossip about you, that is).

Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,645 times
Nope.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM

112 posts, read 569,579 times
Default ...

Usually the Community Notification Flyers take care of that.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,227,451 times
We enjoy getting to know our neighbors. We still hang out with our first neighbors, went to their wedding, they come and stay with us, etc.
Our last neighbor was an older woman - we would occasionally shovel her snow for her and got on very well with the whole block. They didn't much like the people who owned that house for the 10 years before we got there, and they don't much like our buyers who don't really talk to anyone. We were only there a year, and were renovating and making a nuisance of ourselves, yet our neighbor cried when she heard we were moving. How sweet is that! All it took is some chatting and smiles and general friendliness. I don't see how that is such a big deal for people!

We will probably introduce ourselves around when we buy a place here. Maybe invite people over for a Bar-be-que. We'll see. I love meeting people, and hope I don't move in next door to some of the cold fish on this thread!

We're in the north east BTW.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,934,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wouldn't mind such blessings, either, particularly the last one!
I bet, to change your "smokey" air filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships