Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times

Advertisements

The father of somebody I know died. I found out because this friend sent a mass email to just about everybody on his address book.

Bailey and I are not super close friends. The dynamics between us have limited our interactions to drinks, talk over sports and women, and politics. We met at a company where we both worked once. We both moved on several years ago and kept in touch sporadically - more by email in recent time than in person or by phone. I do not think we have hung out in about 2 1/2 years.

Now, it's not about attending. I will go to the wake.

Bailey mentioned donations.

Given that I never met Bailey's father, and given that Bailey and I were never super close, am I obligated to give? I feel a bit awkward - if I give, I may give a modest amount and fear that such a small amount may be offensive. If I don't give, I feel that may be seen as rude too.

The way I was raised, I only attended funerals so far for people who were either relatives or friend of my parents. So when I attended, I attended with my parents, and they handle any gift-giving. The few times I attended a funeral as a young adult without my parents, it was: 1) when the father of a man who is a lot younger than my father but much older than me died. Both of my parents were away so I attended, in part to represent my family. 2) my best friend's father passed away when I was in college, and that was of course a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
The father of somebody I know died. I found out because this friend sent a mass email to just about everybody on his address book.

Bailey and I are not super close friends. The dynamics between us have limited our interactions to drinks, talk over sports and women, and politics. We met at a company where we both worked once. We both moved on several years ago and kept in touch sporadically - more by email in recent time than in person or by phone. I do not think we have hung out in about 2 1/2 years.

Given that I never met Bailey's father, and given that Bailey and I were never super close, am I obligated to give? I feel a bit awkward - if I give, I may give a modest amount and fear that such a small amount may be offensive. If I don't give, I feel that may be seen as rude too.

The way I was raised, I only attended funerals so far for people who were either relatives or friend of my parents. So when I attended, I attended with my parents, and they handle any gift-giving. The few times I attended a funeral as a young adult without my parents, it was: 1) when the father of a man who is a lot younger than my father but much older than me died. Both of my parents were away so I attended, in part to represent my family. 2) my best friend's father passed away when I was in college, and that was of course a no-brainer.

You are not at all obligated to donate. Showing up for the services will do more to help your friend anyway as your presence will be a real gift to him right now.

He/she most likely included the info about memorial donations because that is kind of a standard thing to do - it was just an FYI, not a solicitation.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:

Is the donation for a foundation Bailey's father chose or a family type fund? I ask because I am always suspicious of any kind of family fund...anyway, people know times are tough and donations will reflect the times. Give if you can and if you feel compelled. If not, send a nice card.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
A brief and reflective note expressing your condolences is all that you really need to do. Quite frankly, I think it's more meaningful and reflects greater caring than writing a check.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I think a small donation would be appropriate. No one expects anyone to make a huge donation. Just do what is financially comfortable for you. The amount isn't important, every bit will help. Your presence and support will mean more than the donation.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
I agree. Your presence is most important.
As far as the donations, many folks are doing that now, suggesting Charity and Hospice-related donations and such because most peoples' first instict is to send flowers. The family would be over-flowing with a gazillion flowers from everybody....they hope folks will use the money they would have otherwise spent on flowers for a good cause which people, otherwise, wouln't have thought of at such a time.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I agree. Your presence is most important.
As far as the donations, many folks are doing that now, suggesting Charity and Hospice-related donations and such because most peoples' first instict is to send flowers. The family would be over-flowing with a gazillion flowers from everybody....they hope folks will use the money they would have otherwise spent on flowers for a good cause which people, otherwise, wouln't have thought of at such a time.
Yes, I agree totally. Just showing up is important if this guy means anything at all to you. Hey, funerals are definitely unpleasant. But so is a root canal. That doesn't mean you blow off your appointment to the endodontist, do you?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
If you feel compelled to give, do so. It should be an anonymous thing, correct? So he wouldn't know either way if you did or not. Otherwise, just showing up and having him see you there should be enough.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
...am I obligated to give?
Absolutely not. A gift is not obligated and, frankly, a kind, handwritten note (not a preprinted card) expressing your sincere sympathy would probably mean a whole lot more. Attendance at a funeral and a kind note cost virtually nothing but can express much, much more than an expensive gift.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
I am going to attend. I decided to do so the moment I got the email. And probably just hand a card to Bailey.

It was only a later, when I made my plans for this evening, that I did a search on where Bailey’s father’s wake is being held. It’s a 45-minute drive away, in a town I’ve never even been in.

Doesn’t matter. As I said, Bailey isn’t a very close friend and we haven’t been in touch lately. We did exchange many emails in 2008 as we discussed a lot about politics. But this is a very serious matter – his father passed away.

Not to dramatize, but in recent time I’ve thought a lot about my own father, who is alive and healthy, but who is getting up there in age. Because my father (and mother) live in a city where they have many relatives (siblings) as well as friends, I know that there would be a solid turnout at their funerals. Yet, I know I’d appreciate it if anyone who knew my father only passingly still cared to show up. Which is why I’m doing it for Bailey.

And as I said earlier, one of my first funerals was when I was only 19 and my friend’s dad died. John was only 20 and his dad wasn’t even 60. Very few people of our age range (undergrads) went, and it was clear that it was a big lift to John that I went – we had only known each other for 4 months but had become good friends, and I wasn’t embarrassed to hug him and to cry when I saw him there. The dude was hurting.

It’s a lesson I learned in life – it is never too big a sacrifice to be there for someone who is hurting due to a personal loss, and even if we think our gesture isn’t meaningful, it may be seen differently by the recipient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships