Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Gizmo, sometimes when people are dying they come to their senses a little bit and realize what selfish a**es they've been. It may be that that will happen with your brother and you two may create a new connection that was never there before--or maybe not, but you will feel like the bigger person if you go see him at least once before he dies. I'm sorry for what you've been thru w/ your family--mine is pretty insane too, but I guess I'd go see my nutty sis if she were dying, though we've not been in contact for years--sometimes dying is a new beginning.
I admit to wondering if my brothers illness would give him a change of heart. If he comes to his senses and realizes how important family ties can be, it would be really nice. Better late than never, I suppose. This is assuming he'll give me more than his usual obligatory 2 minute conversation. I'll probably break down and give it another try but I have to admit that I'm anticipating more of the same old thing I've gotten for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM

378 posts, read 772,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I admit to wondering if my brothers illness would give him a change of heart. If he comes to his senses and realizes how important family ties can be, it would be really nice. Better late than never, I suppose. This is assuming he'll give me more than his usual obligatory 2 minute conversation. I'll probably break down and give it another try but I have to admit that I'm anticipating more of the same old thing I've gotten for years.
Giz, I too come from a rediculously disfunctional family. But, please hear me out and take it in a positive way....

Your brother is ill. He has much on his mind like medical care, future, and plain old fear. If you could, put your past aside and reach out to him in this dire time. Keep reaching out to him even if he doesn't recipricate. One thing you don't ever want is regret....JMHO

Make your brother's illness YOUR change of heart.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
My parents have several nice antiques in their house. I have a cousin who, every time she is around, always makes it a point to tell us when something happens to my parents she will make it well worth it for us to sell her a dry sink they have. This has been going on for years. It's like she is a buzzard circling around overhead waiting for my parents to die! I agree with my exwife about this. (Yeah, EX wife. Shows this has been going on for years!) She said she would rather have that antique dry sink chopped up for kindling that to sell it to my cousin, no matter what she offers!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM

464 posts, read 753,100 times
As others have said Gizmo you could be talking about my family except my Dad is still around and is an enabler to my 2 sisters. My mother passed away 19 years ago and our family has never been the same.

After years of depression and heartache over the situation I have realized I can't continue beating my head against a brick wall. Good Luck to all of you with crazy families.

T

Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I've been suspecting for a long time I shouldn't regret not having siblings...

Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM

318 posts, read 820,784 times
Annoyingly disfunctional and plain evil to the point where I disowned them. I don't need anybody like that to drag me down. When I ran into SEVERAL different physical health problems from fractured eye bone that could lead to permanent physical damages, to a misalligned neck bone which screwed my entire body, suffered major depression and needed them most, they pretty much rubbed salt on my wound and added more insult to injury then they gave me a kick in the stomach and spat on my face. They offered NO assistance (financially, emotionally.. the works) ut had money to go on vacation, had absolutely NO interest in my symptoms or the fact that I was throwing away 3 years of my life (MY PRIME) due to these issues and pretty much, through their actions, told me to rot away in my room which I did for those years because I was so distraught from the effects of all these issues that I could not work.
F*** THEM!

Ok that was a nice session.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post

Ok that was a nice session.
We'll send you a bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships