Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,180,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I know alot of people who spend alot of time in friendly social engagements with their brothers and sisters but do not really have anything in common except they are family. If that same person was not related they would not have anything to say to each other and would surely not be friendly.

Are you sociable with your brothers and sisters? If so, is it because he or she is family or do you really enjoy their company?
I often ask my parents if I am adopted. Does that tell you anything?

Hell no I would not even shake hands with any of my brothers or sisters if they were strangers on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
I don't have any siblings, but right now I'm very grateful to my much older cousin who sort of adopted me in the last 5 years. I've no idea how I could've handled my affairs back home without her! Probably should've hired an attorney and paid obscene amounts of money... The frustration would've been incredible! We weren't too close while I was growing up due to some stupid extended family feuds, but I've always liked her. I don't know how I'd ever be able to express my gratitude for what she and her husband have done for me...

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

298 posts, read 999,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I have one sibling. We are not close and I'd never speak to him at all if we weren't related.
I have one sister and I think she would say that about me. She is eight years older than me and we have never gotten really close. She writes off people for no reason and I know if I wasn't related to her, I would never see her again.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
So tell me who else are you going to say, "Remember when mom did that or dad took us there.?"

You can't put a value on those shared memories. Even comparing your growing up memories are interesting. You were both there but experienced it differently. Never a dull moment if you don't get dragged down in holding grudges about past imagined hurts or even real hurts. Family will always be family.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM

323 posts, read 806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
My sister and I resemble each other but we are very different. I'm the youngest of four.
My sister and I look nothing I like (I've jokingly been referred to as 'the mailman's baby' haha). I'm the oldest and she's my baby sister. and it was just the two of us and my mom until my step-dad came along (great guy by the way). I think that's part of the reason that we are so close. I feel really sorry for everybody on here who has such crappy relationships with their siblings. That'd be awful!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsherwo View Post
My sister and I look nothing I like (I've jokingly been referred to as 'the mailman's baby' haha). I'm the oldest and she's my baby sister. and it was just the two of us and my mom until my step-dad came along (great guy by the way). I think that's part of the reason that we are so close. I feel really sorry for everybody on here who has such crappy relationships with their siblings. That'd be awful!!!
Ditto with me and my sister but the older we have grown the more we look alike. It happens. LOL

My brothers are like the other sibs on here. Nothing to do with us if they can help it. One says---"you can pick your friends but not your family" Oh well, I figure it is his loss.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM

438 posts, read 947,514 times
Growing up I was not fond of my brother. After I moved out, our friendliness actually increased though. When we don't live together, we get along just fine. We hang out together and have fun. But if we spend too much time together we start to find each other annoying. He's a rather impatient and blunt person. Smart, but no tact. He really is a bit of an a*****e, but I love him. I'm not sure if I would ever have chosen to spend time with him if he weren't family, but I do like hanging around with him now when we have the chance.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,012,880 times
My siblings and I have absolutely nothing in common. I rarely see them, if ever.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 AM

956 posts, read 1,768,413 times
Are they stubborn and selfish?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,735 times
Well im the eldest son in the family .. often referred as the naive lol .. regardless of all the differences ..we're family ..we live together ..fight ..reconcile .. share every moment of joy and sorrow .. however god forbid if we ever experience turbulance ..as the eldest i will adhere to the family rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships