Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM

468 posts, read 786,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Maryland hasn't put it to a popular vote nor had the national Catholic Church spend hundreds of thousands on its amendment. You cannot compare based on that, alone. EVERY state, 100%, who have put it to a popular vote, have passed it, because the churches get involved and most people don't really think about what they vote, and just do what the minister tells thej (which should revoke their tax-exempt stats).
The idea that people vote certain ways just because their minister tells them to is ridiculous. Where is your evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
Attention North Carolina is getting isn’t quite what it wants | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 24,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Wouldn't you know it, the godfather of go-go passed away today. Rest in peace chuck brown:

Chuck Brown, Godfather of Go-Go, Dead at 75 | Music News | Rolling Stone

I am from NC and the only time I have heard go go was when I went to college from other DC folks. I really don't see or hear of anyone who listens to go go from NC not to say there ain't but reading these threads everyone is linking NC to the mid atlantic which I do not see by no means unless they are referring to the transplants but anyway go go is a unique sound and I;ve enjoyed what little I've heard of it

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 24,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
That's a problem. I was never taught that and i'm a native N Carolinian. Obviously one of our teachers is wrong. Not sure who it is but in my opinion its just the south.
I am a native and I have NEVER heard anything about NC being mid anything lol this is the first time ever! Not saying they didn't but NC is SE in every way imaginable . . . IF you are from NC and think otherwise then you ain't really from NC sorry

Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM

494 posts, read 849,968 times
There is no real Northern and Southern anymore. It's all rural vs. urban. Look at a county-by-county electoral map. The cultural divisions now are the city vs. the country. What is traditionally thought of as "Southern" (both in a nostalgic and pejorative way) is low population density rural areas. What is thought of a "Northern" (both good and bad), is really just higher population density urban centers. The higher the population density, the more "Northern" people will describe it. Charleston, SC is perhaps one of the most quintessential southern cities. It has a population density of 1833 persons per square mile. Charlotte and Raleigh are southern cities but are seen as more northern than Charleston. Charlotte is seen as holding on to a little more of it's southern charm. You could blame this on geography, but I think it's population density. Charlotte's is 2457, Raleigh's is 2826. Alexandria in NOVA, which no one on this thread considers southern, has a density of 9314. New York City, the ultimate Yankee bastion has a density of 27,013 (!).

You can even use this to predict the future. What city in SC will be the first to be described as northern? Columbia and Charleston are the biggest, but I think it's Greenville with it's density of 2037, creeping closer to Charlotte. Columbia's is only 978.

I know Greenville is more conservative than the other 2, but the numbers speak a different story and if you have been there, you can see it happening with all of the changes and growth.

Just my two cents, but I think we are getting hung up on Geography and culture and ignoring the fact that people just act differently when you are forced to interact with a lot more of them. Some of these things are bad (rudeness) and some are good (tolerance).

All my numbers came from Wolfram Alpha.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulumagik View Post
I am from NC and the only time I have heard go go was when I went to college from other DC folks. I really don't see or hear of anyone who listens to go go from NC not to say there ain't but reading these threads everyone is linking NC to the mid atlantic which I do not see by no means unless they are referring to the transplants but anyway go go is a unique sound and I;ve enjoyed what little I've heard of it
Depends on your age, in the 80s and early 90s, go-go music was much more popular and made significant waves throughout the state of NC. Be careful where you decide to jump-in on a thread, this was a response to a previous post.

No, NC is clearly southern as many others have stated, but due to the proximity of the DC/MD, etc. there are many influences and interactions that occur here (NC) that will not occur in other regions of the US. Perfect example, going to college with a lot of DC folks...those types of interactions and influences (bidirectional) cannot be ignored. NC isn't by any means a geographic or cultural mid-atlantic state but the I-95/I-85 corridor allows for those cultures to mix quite often so there are some undeniable relationships. It one of the reasons many transplants decide to relocate here, it's cheaper and not too far a drive from home.

As Niceguy pointed out, much more apparent in the NC's larger metros or urban areas.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
There is no real Northern and Southern anymore. It's all rural vs. urban. Look at a county-by-county electoral map. The cultural divisions now are the city vs. the country. What is traditionally thought of as "Southern" (both in a nostalgic and pejorative way) is low population density rural areas. What is thought of a "Northern" (both good and bad), is really just higher population density urban centers. The higher the population density, the more "Northern" people will describe it. Charleston, SC is perhaps one of the most quintessential southern cities. It has a population density of 1833 persons per square mile. Charlotte and Raleigh are southern cities but are seen as more northern than Charleston. Charlotte is seen as holding on to a little more of it's southern charm. You could blame this on geography, but I think it's population density. Charlotte's is 2457, Raleigh's is 2826. Alexandria in NOVA, which no one on this thread considers southern, has a density of 9314. New York City, the ultimate Yankee bastion has a density of 27,013 (!).

You can even use this to predict the future. What city in SC will be the first to be described as northern? Columbia and Charleston are the biggest, but I think it's Greenville with it's density of 2037, creeping closer to Charlotte. Columbia's is only 978.

I know Greenville is more conservative than the other 2, but the numbers speak a different story and if you have been there, you can see it happening with all of the changes and growth.

Just my two cents, but I think we are getting hung up on Geography and culture and ignoring the fact that people just act differently when you are forced to interact with a lot more of them. Some of these things are bad (rudeness) and some are good (tolerance).

All my numbers came from Wolfram Alpha.
In terms of urbanity, Charleston is the only city in the Carolinas that was architecturally designed like many northern cities with attached mid-rises, rowhouses, etc. Density isn't a prescription or remedy for racial tolerance (see Boston). I do think it affords one an easier platform to experience other cultures via ethnic neighborhoods, etc. - doesn't mean relationships will be any better/worse whether in Raleigh or New York.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
you can't look at columbia's density because over half of it is fort jackson which takes up a majority of the city limits. 130,000 people are really living in about 40 square miles in columbia

Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
Charlotte is seen as holding on to a little more of it's southern charm.
I have asked this multiple times before and didn't get an answer...

Just what is Southern Charm and how would I know it when I see it?

I tend to think it only exists in the pages of Gone With The Wind.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 PM

100 posts, read 318,178 times
Yes and it's a mess, thanks to the North. Kidding of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina