Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 07:39 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
True, but SC and GA pretty-much share Augusta and Savannah. This is why I just don't understand some folks' obsession with pooping on SC. Here are the cities and metros that are either in SC or extend into SC

Columbia
Greenville
Spartanburg
Charleston
Myrtle Beach
Augusta
Savannah
Charlotte

The folks in SC who commute into the latter 3 are often driving less than 30 minutes each way; making those 3 very relevant to South Carolina's economy and culture. One could argue that SC has better access to a wider diversity of cities than North Carolina does. I'll admit that NC definitely has more in common with VA than West Virginia does (even though those two states share a last name). On the other hand, NC and SC aren't much different at all especially when you look at the list of SC relevant cities that I posted above.
I have to say I've recently spent a lot of time navigating the secondary roads in SC off I-85, and South Carolina builds bizarre and weird arterial roads from Anderson through Greenville Spartanburg and Gaffney.

Often there will be a huge paved median that serves as a drainage canal and I guess a turning lane for left turns.

Then in shopping centers there will be a concrete curb that prevents you from connecting to adjacent businesses forcing you to go a long, long way to turn around and navigate a different way.

Some of the thoroughfares in Greenville have intersections that take a long time to get through.

I feel like the road engineers in SC just have a completely different mindset from neighboring NC and GA.

I have suffered through the I-85 widening project that's 30 miles long and it will be nice when it's completely finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 06:19 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
True, but SC and GA pretty-much share Augusta and Savannah. This is why I just don't understand some folks' obsession with pooping on SC. Here are the cities and metros that are either in SC or extend into SC

Columbia
Greenville
Spartanburg
Charleston
Myrtle Beach
Augusta
Savannah
Charlotte

The folks in SC who commute into the latter 3 are often driving less than 30 minutes each way; making those 3 very relevant to South Carolina's economy and culture. One could argue that SC has better access to a wider diversity of cities than North Carolina does. I'll admit that NC definitely has more in common with VA than West Virginia does (even though those two states share a last name). On the other hand, NC and SC aren't much different at all especially when you look at the list of SC relevant cities that I posted above.
Neither Savannah's MSA or CSA extends into SC, but Hilton Head/Beaufort and Savannah are within the same DMA and share an airport.

In 2013, Hilton Head-Beaufort became an MSA consisting of Beaufort and Jasper counties in SC (which has nearly 225K residents according to most recent estimates), but there's not enough cross-state commuting for them to be classified as a CSA or MSA which makes sense given 1) the regional geography that makes it hard to construct direct road connections between Savannah and the larger population centers nearby across the border and 2) how disproportionately retiree- and military-heavy Beaufort and Hilton Head (and Hardeeville and Bluffton) area.

The other two MSAs in SC not mentioned are Florence and Sumter. I don't see much change for Sumter in the near future, but I do think Florence has certain advantages that might cause it to experience some accelerated growth in the years to come.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-24-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-13-2023, 02:22 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
In 2021, North Carolina is the closest state to the national average in educational attainment, with 34.9% of adults having a college degree. For South Carolina, it is 31.5%, and for Virginia, it is an impressive 41.8%

Old 02-14-2023, 11:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,781 times
So the Carolina’s have only a 2.6% difference between each other, which is basically close to average versus VA and NC with a 10.3% difference. Probably skewed toward NOVA/DMV suburbs.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:33 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
North Carolina:
White alone: 60.5%
African American alone: 21.8%
Hispanic of any race: 10.7%
Asian: 4%
Native American: 2.5%
Pacific Islander and Other: 1.3%

Georgia:
White alone: 50.1%
African American alone: 30.6%
Hispanic of any race: 10.5%
Asian: 5.2%
Native American: 1.5%

Virginia:
White alone: 58.6%
African American alone: 18.3%
Asian: 7.1%
Native American: 0.2%
Pacific Islander and Other: 0.6%

Old 05-28-2023, 07:08 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
North Carolina:
White alone: 60.5%
African American alone: 21.8%
Hispanic of any race: 10.7%
Asian: 4%
Native American: 2.5%

Georgia:
White alone: 50.1%
African American alone: 30.6%
Asian: 5.2%
Native American: 1.5%

Virginia:
White alone: 58.6%
African American alone: 18.3%
Asian: 7.1%
Native American: 0.2%
Pacific Islander and Other: 0.6%
No SC stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina