Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Depending on where you move in AZ, the Mormons are here and sometimes if you are not part of their Ward they will exclude you and your family. Az is not a typical friendly place. You probably know that though. This does not bother me about Az, because I have family here and friends here from NY, so I couldn't care less. If you are looking for neighborhood parties, it's easier to meet people when you move into a new home developement, if not good luck.
I actually like AZ, you may like it as well. If I don't like NC, I'm going back to Az. My husband won't go back, but I'll have to send him a postcard. LOL
I'm betting you won't want to go back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 05:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm betting you won't want to go back

I hope so The only thing that has me worried is I won't like the colder weather and the rain, that's the only concern I really have.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I hope so The only thing that has me worried is I won't like the colder weather and the rain, that's the only concern I really have.

It really doesn't seem to me that it rains a lot here, just sometimes when it does, it pours. The colder weather is not really so bad either because this is a less humid state than further south. The cold is a "dry" cold as opposed to a wetter more humid cold. For instance, 25 or 30 degrees here is not unbearable at all for me in NC. But in my native Louisiana where the humidity hovers at 88% most of the time 45 degrees feels miserable. Hope that makes sense? Most of the time the weather here is just beautiful - there really are such things as skies that are "Carolina Blue".

Old 10-01-2006, 05:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
NC is the king of "cold humidity", it's probably the peak region for it. I mostly here NY'ers (from the tri-state area) whining about it being colder here durring the winter because of the humidity. I don't know if it's any different in the mountains, but here in the peidmont, the "cold humidity" is definitely something we deal with. I can handle it and it doesn't really bother me at all, but there are plenty of people I know who feel it's still too cold, especially for the south. I do know for a fact though that it rains A LOT in the mountains of NC, but I guess you guys just have an extremely rainy rainy season? I heard some areas of western NC get near 80 inches of rain a year, and I know every time a hurricane or tripical storm comes inland it always dumps rain that the measure if feet our there.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:53 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I do know for a fact though that it rains A LOT in the mountains of NC, but I guess you guys just have an extremely rainy rainy season? I heard some areas of western NC get near 80 inches of rain a year, and I know every time a hurricane or tripical storm comes inland it always dumps rain that the measure if feet our there.
Our resident researcher mm34 can probably find it, but I saw a TV weather guy here in NC once say that the wettest part of the state AND the driest part of the state are a relatively short distance away from each other in the mountains.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I could see that being true, it would make sense.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
It really doesn't seem to me that it rains a lot here, just sometimes when it does, it pours. The colder weather is not really so bad either because this is a less humid state than further south. The cold is a "dry" cold as opposed to a wetter more humid cold. For instance, 25 or 30 degrees here is not unbearable at all for me in NC. But in my native Louisiana where the humidity hovers at 88% most of the time 45 degrees feels miserable. Hope that makes sense? Most of the time the weather here is just beautiful - there really are such things as skies that are "Carolina Blue".
Oh I know what you mean about the blue sky!!!! The first time I saw it I could believe how blue it was...just beautiful! We are coming in Jan to see what it feels like in winter, I hope it is cold because in Houston we have about two days of winter.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
NC is the king of "cold humidity", it's probably the peak region for it. I mostly here NY'ers (from the tri-state area) whining about it being colder here durring the winter because of the humidity. I don't know if it's any different in the mountains, but here in the peidmont, the "cold humidity" is definitely something we deal with. I can handle it and it doesn't really bother me at all, but there are plenty of people I know who feel it's still too cold, especially for the south. I do know for a fact though that it rains A LOT in the mountains of NC, but I guess you guys just have an extremely rainy rainy season? I heard some areas of western NC get near 80 inches of rain a year, and I know every time a hurricane or tripical storm comes inland it always dumps rain that the measure if feet our there.

I already bought 3 coats. I guess I better get some long underwear too. I have a feeling I'm going to be bundled up till June.

I was just comparing Vegas Winter temps to Charlotte's on Sperlings. I forgot I lived in that hell hole for a year, I guess my mind keeps supressing it. I remember the Winter being very cold and we even had snow. The avg January temp for Charlotte said 30 and Vegas 34. I guess I'm going to be cold Vegas doesn't get much rain so it won't be as damp as Charlotte but it was cold compared to Phoenix.

Last edited by a1m1700; 10-01-2006 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I already bought 3 coats. I guess I better get some long underwear too. I have a feeling I'm going to be bundled up till June.

I was just comparing Vegas Winter temps to Charlotte's on Sperlings. I forgot I lived in that hell hole for a year, I guess my mind keeps supressing it. I remember the Winter being very cold and we even had snow. The avg January temp for Charlotte said 30 and Vegas 34. I guess I'm going to be cold Vegas doesn't get much rain so it won't be as damp as Charlotte but it was cold compared to Phoenix.
Seriously, it may take you a year of going through the seasons for your body to adjust, but you will. When I first moved here from Louisiana the lack of humidity compared to what I was used to chapped my hands so badly that first winter, I was must miserable! I didn't even own a winter coat til I came here so my body was not at all ready for the difference. By the next winter I was fine. A few years later a family from Michagan moved in next door. Those people NEVER wore coats that whole first winter! The mother and I got to be dear friends and I could not believe how warm they felt the winter was. Seriously, if she put more than a sweater on she started sweating! I've seen this happen often actually. But we all do seem to eventually adjust

Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Seriously, it may take you a year of going through the seasons for your body to adjust, but you will. When I first moved here from Louisiana the lack of humidity compared to what I was used to chapped my hands so badly that first winter, I was must miserable! I didn't even own a winter coat til I came here so my body was not at all ready for the difference. By the next winter I was fine. A few years later a family from Michagan moved in next door. Those people NEVER wore coats that whole first winter! The mother and I got to be dear friends and I could not believe how warm they felt the winter was. Seriously, if she put more than a sweater on she started sweating! I've seen this happen often actually. But we all do seem to eventually adjust

That's funny, I moved to Phoenix from NY in Feb and I was swimming and everyone thought I was nuts and I thought they were nuts for not taking advantage of the swimming pool. I also walked around with no jacket and could not understand why these people were bundled up. I just had to laugh. The next Winter I was bundled up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina