Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2006, 06:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You said... "from reading all these threads is that the South is far more religious that it used to be. In fact, it almost seems like the South has allowed religion to go to their heads."
And..."I don't like the fact Republicans have aligned themselves with the South and Southern Christians. I find the Republican party has very little to do with "being a good neighbor.") "

Do those statements no imply you want to come to the south and have it be more like California, just so you can find affordable housing? Can you not see how insulting those comments are? This is a conservative state, more Republican than Demoncrat as a whole. We are also a state whose people live their faith, which I understand can be foreign to people coming from other areas of the world or country. But that is who we are so I was just saying don't come here expecting it to be like California. If you can live with that, you will do fine here. If you come in insulting our way of life from the get go you will most likely not fit in and would probably be happier staying IN California.
That is NOT what I meant to imply at all! What I wanted to know is how much tolerance there is of other religions and beliefs. I'm also curious if the state, for the most part, is *really* political or if it is more "live and let live."

I worked for a born again Christian/activist Republican company owner at one time and it was not a real pleasant experience. Employers like this are rare out here. Most employers are not activists. But what is it like in North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
its live and let live. Yo uare almost certain to be asked if you need a recommedation for a church home but thats about it...

Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
That is NOT what I meant to imply at all! What I wanted to know is how much tolerance there is of other religions and beliefs. I'm also curious if the state, for the most part, is *really* political or if it is more "live and let live."

I worked for a born again Christian/activist Republican company owner at one time and it was not a real pleasant experience. Employers like this are rare out here. Most employers are not activists. But what is it like in North Carolina?

You know it's always tolerance on the part of the Liberals but they don't tolerate anything except that progressive movement. Sounds like all the Liberals are the activist. Yes I hear their are lot of Born Again Christians and maybe even lots of the R word Republicans in NC, so what. The Christians have to deal with being the outcast in California.

California is not live and let live, look what they have done to the schools there, it's shameful, this is because of all the ACTIVIST in Ca. Thank God for a Christian Activist against in California.

Maybe a bunch of us conservatives should move to San Fran. and change it. I'm sure that will go over big.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Why are people so quick to demean eachother on this thread? I was going to post a question/statement about my thoughts about relocating to NC, but now I'm afraid I'll be verbally attacked! Sounds to me that SOME of you North Carolinians (native and transplants) are the rude ones! NOT Californians or Northeasterners! Too bad! Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your intentions?
What question are you going to ask that you will be attacked? Who is being rude? The person bringing the Republican party into the picture for no reason that's who.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Most of the people in NC are registerd Demoncrats. But they are the "yellow dog" demoncrats, have conservative social views but could never see themselves voting (R).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Democrat

Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Most of the people in NC are registerd Demoncrats. But they are the "yellow dog" demoncrats, have conservative social views but could never see themselves voting (R).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Democrat
We have generations of the yellow dogs dems here too.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM

311 posts, read 618,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Can I buy you lunch when I get there? Any place you'd like to go it's on me
Let me buy lunch for both of you.....maybe on Sunday after church (I live in the Bible Belt and love it) or after I go to the polls (we might discuss politics!)
Welcome to NC when you get here.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
Let me buy lunch for both of you.....maybe on Sunday after church (I live in the Bible Belt and love it) or after I go to the polls (we might discuss politics!)
Welcome to NC when you get here.
Thank you Whitney, I swear I should have been born in the south

Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

If this is what you wanted to know I just wish you had phrased it that way instead of making disparging remarks about Republicans and Christians who have let "religion go to their heads". Hope you can understand why I thought those remarks were offensive.

As to your question, no, most employers here are not activists either, at least in political or religious terms. What you will find here is that employers encourage their employees to be community activists. This means big coorporations like Bank of America and IBM, just to name a few, give their people time off to volunteer at local elementary schools as mentors, lunch buddies or tutors. Whole teams of people from different firms band together to donate their time to build Habitat for Humanity houses. My company is a big sponser of Race for the Cure - a run to raise money for breast cancer. We got weekly emails encouraging us to participate, and time off of work to do it if needed.

This is a city that gets involved, led a lot of times by our different faith communities. The Room In the Inn program is an effort on the part of churches all over the city to give homeless men and women a place to sleep during the winter months. The participating churches round up volunteers to make an evening meal at their church and give the guests a place to shower and sleep for the night. The next morning another team of volunteers come in to make a hot breakfast and distribute bag lunches to the homeless before they are driven back to the uptown urban ministry center to either go to work or get to other appointments. All this happens 7 days a week during the winter without a single penny from local or state government. Most employers who have employees who make this volunteer effort encourage them by cutting them slack on coming in late or leaving early on the day they are volunteering.

I could on and on - about our tremendous United Way campanign or how our city's Crop Walk to raise money to feed the hungry raises more money than any other participating city. But hopefully you will get my point. We welcome all here - heck, we've all mostly come from someplace else and are so glad to live in such a community we understand why others would want to be here too. But just come knowing that if will not be like whereever you are coming from, and we like it the way it is. If you insult the way we do things we will get our feelings hurt and invite you to go back to whereever it is you came from. But if you come and join us and find a way to contribute to our community we will be happy to have you as a neighbor.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Civic activism is fantastic and I'm all for it! Among the things I would miss from Southern California are the fabulous art museums and parks, and the really terrific shopping! (I've actually been thinking that I might like to open a retail store in the south. I own a retail business here and I think I could open a successful retail business there.)

I guess I got really turned off to the religion/politics on that one particular job. I was warned when I started working there that the owner liked to sign everyone up to receive Republican party literature at home. Receiving stuff at home is not really a problem because you can throw it out if you want to.

I tried to think of some of the worst things he did and one in particular stood out: He told several of the Hispanic ladies that, if the Democrats won an election, the Democrats would kill their babies. This caused several of the women to burst into tears because they thought this would really happen. (Many of these women weren't even legally here. I guess he was trying to influence them to influence their friends who might be able to vote.) Anyway, it was an awful event. I worked in an office with two other women (all Democrats, though we never said much about it) and all the Hispanic ladies were coming to us crying about this. He was so stuck on Hillary and her village and whatever... It really made for a bad work environment. At one point, he made some new Republican book required reading and bought several copies that we were all supposed to check out and read.

All of this might have been okay if we were working in an industry where politics were involved -- but they weren't involved in our industry. It's like manufacturing hair care products and having a boss who is obsessed with Republican politics.

On top of it all, when he wasn't talking about Republican politics, he was talking about finding Christ -- which meant he would hire loads of ex-felons (they cost less plus many said they were "born again"). There was not one ex-con who worked out on the job. Some ended up stealing, others ended up doing other things. Not one was converted by reading the Republican literature readily available to all of us in our mailboxes!

Anyway, it was not a pleasant work environment. When I see a lot of posts regarding religion/politics and how it affects everyday life, I think back to this job and I don't know that I would want to live in an area like this.

Quote:
You know it's always tolerance on the part of the Liberals but they don't tolerate anything except that progressive movement. Sounds like all the Liberals are the activist.
I've never met a liberal who assigned reading material and signed all new employees up for Democrat party mailings. Do those exist in North Carolina?

Last edited by UB50; 10-04-2006 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina