Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times

Advertisements

I/we have been wanting to move to NC. We took a trip down this past march.
We like what we saw. We came home fixed up the house put it on the market on June 29th. We were not expecting much due to the credit crunch. We had a few showings but nothing dramatic. Last week we had a showing and BAM
sold! The closing is on Nov 9th So NC here we come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,595 times
WOW! That's pretty neat. We are thinking of putting our house on the market but it needs alot of maintenance (gutters, ceiling peeling in restrooms) however we do have a 2 story home, siding, full sized inground pool.....in Belmont, NC -- how much if the repairs do you think we MUST do in order to sale our home? You did a great job of selling your home it sounds like.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,467 times
Default Congrats & Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
We like what we saw. We came home fixed up the house put it on the market on June 29th. We were not expecting much due to the credit crunch. We had a few showings but nothing dramatic. Last week we had a showing and BAM
Congrats on your move! May I ask where in NC you fell in love with? I'm currently in Florida and would like to relocate to NC at the end of this year, but I'm torn between the Tri-Cities & Charlotte...and all the places in between!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 PM

219 posts, read 853,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Chuck,
Although I am jealous of ANYONE who is moving to NC I am REALLY REALLY REALLY HAPPY for you guys.
We are sitting on six months to sell our place.
We have a deposit on a place in Shallotte and are praying everyday.
Good luck and BE HAPPY.
Dennis
Woodlynne NJ

Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Chuck,
Although I am jealous of ANYONE who is moving to NC I am REALLY REALLY REALLY HAPPY for you guys.
We are sitting on six months to sell our place.
We have a deposit on a place in Shallotte and are praying everyday.
Good luck and BE HAPPY.
Dennis
Woodlynne NJ
Hang in there Dennis - it'll happen!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
Congrats on your move! May I ask where in NC you fell in love with? I'm currently in Florida and would like to relocate to NC at the end of this year, but I'm torn between the Tri-Cities & Charlotte...and all the places in between!
I kinda have a reverse theory about where we are moving. i will explain From what I have seen ENC is less populated and people are not migrating to that part of the state. I figure it will be quicker to the beach with less traffic. We are kinda lookin between Greenville Kinston and up towards Wilson. I know it is not the most desireable part of NC but housing is cheap and we are country people so we are not drawn to any large metro's. The summer humidity will be a little more than we are used to here in Maine. We do have hot humid summers here as well just not as long. My career field is in high demand just about everywhere. (trucker) I can make the same if not better $ in NC because of the demand well anyway enough for now thanks to all and good luck for those of you who are looking to take the plunge. I will update as the day gets closer

Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 13,140 times
Careful about moving to NC...there is a historic water shortage occuring and the state cannot handle many more people before we literally run out of water.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM

241 posts, read 755,976 times
We're in rough shape, but look at GA! I doubt a drought will stop people from relocating to the area. I see way too many positives in the state for a drought to have a large impact..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudothyrum View Post
Careful about moving to NC...there is a historic water shortage occuring and the state cannot handle many more people before we literally run out of water.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM

58 posts, read 221,847 times
Common Questions from Floridians moving to the Carolinas
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you build homes out of concrete, center block and cement that withstand winds up to 150 miles per hour?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: In Charlotte hurricanes and tornadoes are very rare. The last hurricane was Hugo that came up our way in 1989. It hit Ch[/SIZE][SIZE=3]arleston, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]SC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]and lost strength by the time it got to the Charlotte area. There were downed trees and power lines and [/SIZE][SIZE=3]we were [/SIZE][SIZE=3]very unprepared.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Homes are mostly stick built with lumber and timber. Wood can be very flexible under loads, keeping strength while bending, and is incredibly strong when compressed vertically. Most homes in our area have brick, stone, hardy plank or vinyl siding.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]How long are the warranties on a new roof? 5, 10, 15 or 20 years?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: Warranties in our area on new roofs are generally 20 or 25 years, depending on the supplier.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It is supposed to rain this weekend in your area. I don’t want to come to Charlotte in a storm.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: Our rain storms are mild compared to Florida’s tropical rain storms. I personally would welcome the much needed rain here in the Carolinas.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I heard your homeowners insurance and property taxes is so much lower. Is that true?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: The average Homeowners Insurance in the Charlotte region is $700 to $800 a year on a $350,000 home. Property taxes are about 1.29 per 100 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County. If you would live on the South Carolina side of greater Charlotte (York and Lancaster County) you will save 40% to 50% of property taxes since they have done away with the school tax for owner occupied homes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]My association fees run $200 a month on my home in Florida. Can I save on those fees in Charlotte?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: I have seen association fees on a home in the Charlotte area for about $400 to $1200 a year depending on the amenities. A home with maintained yard it is up to $170 a month.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The City of Tega Cay, for example has all the amenities including a golf course with club house, beaches, swim club, tennis, walking trails, but you only pay for what you actually use. There are no mandatory association fees in Tega Cay.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]With the national housing trend, how come Charlotte homes are going up in value?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Answer: The Charlotte area grew with about 75,000 newcomers alone last year. Of them 60% are from NY and NJ area, the rest of the influx is from Florida and California. We had a modest increase on home prices every year (4% to 14%) and it helped us prevent a housing bubble.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I appreciate your feedback![/SIZE]

Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,524 times
Default Moving to NC

Rain is on the way in NC! My family and I moved here from Denver, Co about 3 years ago when Denver was in a drought state. It must have followed us to the South.
Big Chuckie (and anyone else), let me know if you need some real estate listings in the Charlotte market. I can assist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina