Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
One issue with this comparison is in considering only the cities themselves and not the entire metro areas. That gives Charlotte a leg up since pretty much every major amenity in the Charlotte area is in Charlotte itself. However, that's not the case for Atlanta and despite Raleigh being a separate MSA from Durham, they are joined at the hip from a regional perspective so the entire Triangle should be considered. With that in mind, the gap between Atlanta and Charlotte is definitely larger than between Charlotte and the Triangle.

Everyone discussing this topic should know how big Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh really are. I still believe despite the population gap (which is obvious) I believe that gap between CLT/ATL & CLT/Raleigh are similar. But CLT vs. Miami (which is smaller than ATL if I'm not mistaken) I think there is a huge difference making CLT much more aligned with Raleigh. I don't just go based off of population numbers.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Everyone discussing this topic should know how big Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh really are. I still believe despite the population gap (which is obvious) I believe that gap between CLT/ATL & CLT/Raleigh are similar. But CLT vs. Miami (which is smaller than ATL if I'm not mistaken) I think there is a huge difference making CLT much more aligned with Raleigh. I don't just go based off of population numbers.
The gap is similar I guess, but it's still a matter of 3 times the size versus twice the size. I suppose three times is similar to two.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Raleigh will always have the higher education and an H&M.

Charlotte will always have Carowinds and a better skyline.

It can go back and fourth, but eventually, Charlotte is going to come out on top. That's just how it is.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Raleigh will always have the higher education and an H&M.

Charlotte will always have Carowinds and a better skyline.

It can go back and fourth, but eventually, Charlotte is going to come out on top. That's just how it is.
Always is a very long time...I wouldn't count on always for anything.

Charlotte will eventually have an H&M. I kinda thought there was already one there.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I think it is cute when people talk about amusement parks when they discuss which city is better than another. The last time I cared about amusement parks was when I was 14.

Come to think of it, a lot of posters here sound like they are in high school - judging each other by their looks and the clothes they wear.

Oh well... carry on!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think it is cute when people talk about amusement parks when they discuss which city is better than another. The last time I cared about amusement parks was when I was 14.

Come to think of it, a lot of posters here sound like they are in high school - judging each other by their looks and the clothes they wear.

Oh well... carry on!
Because Raleigh has no 14 year olds. That's kind of a funny statement considering many families enjoy amusement parks. Keep on spending your day at Barnes & Noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Always is a very long time...I wouldn't count on always for anything.

Charlotte will eventually have an H&M. I kinda thought there was already one there.
Let's be honest. Charlotte's chances of getting an H&M almost overwrites Raleigh's chances of receiving an amusement park.

Raleigh can built the nicest, tallest buildings in the South, but Charlotte can become home to the top rated school in the country.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:

Oh well... carry on!
I think the tall building argument is funnier.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
I think the tall building argument is funnier.
When a 1 million-plus sq/ft building is placed on a 3 acre or less site, several trees (that would have been cut down in the name of suburban styled developments) were saved. Also, dense urban office markets are easier to serve by mass transit (which saves on the infrastructure expense of building more roads). Placing sports arenas in or near a dense office market helps justify mass transit and less road building also. Tall buildings are nice to look at, but they also help with urban design and smart-growth-land-use practices.

If uptown Charlotte kept all of its buildings under 5 floors tall (over 20 million sq/ft of office space), uptown would sprawl several thousand acres. The area would not be compact or walkable like it is today. However, due to the massive heights of many towers, we have an office district with 75,000 workers, 15,000 residents, 20,000 students, and several thousand daily visitors all confined to a 1.8 sq/mile area of the city.

Though Charlotte itself sprawls to nearly 300 sq/miles, much of the activity takes place in the small 1.8 sq/mile center of town. Charlotte could've pulled off its current city tier without building a single skyscraper, but if the city had done that; there would be very little available land uptown for future growth and developments.

My point is that there's logic behind measuring a city's success by looking at the building density and building heights of its downtown. A small-town person probably would see this stuff as "funny" or "pointless". Then again, people in large cities laugh at the small-towners when they brag about getting a new Target or Super Walmart. To the larger city folks, tall buildings and a new mass transit line are our "new malls", "new stop lights", and the "new truck stop". For the record, there are folks in Raleigh who would turn flips down Fayetteville Street if an amusement park, light rail, an Ikea, and a 30 story tower were announced for Raleigh this week. I'm just being honest...

Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:

Oh well... carry on!
I know this post was directed at a few posters, but let's be real. Several thousand kids, teens, and adults would like to see a major themepark/water park built in the Triangle. I don't even live in the Triangle and I would like to see such an amenity added to the area. To belittle something simply because your area doesn't have it is just as bad as Charlotteans who belittle Raleigh. Think about it...

Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I just come to this thread for amusement purposes. I don't need to go to a theme park .

Seriously, I don't know anyone IRL and very few online who want an amusement park in Raleigh. I'm sure there are some. There are probably some folks who would like a pro basketball team and a race track, too, but most people I know IRL (and online) prefer ACC basketball and have no interest in NASCAR in the Triangle. You don't see a lot of threads in the the Triangle forum saying, "why don't we have a theme park" or "how come Charlotte has NASCAR and we don't?" Now, if somebody wanted to build a NY Pizza theme park they'd be all over that since we have to re-live that thread every 2 months or so .

Oh, and I'll give you the IKEA comment, too. I know A LOT of people IRL and online who would have liked to see that come to the Triangle.

As far as the tall buildings, I don't know. I think Triangle residents are pretty ambivalent at best about those. When a new tower was announced for Durham there wasn't a consensus of jumping up and down with joy. There were some people who were jumping on the bandwagon, but there was also a lot of concern about the impact on the area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina