Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer on the "little City that could:"

Quote:
One early instance of the city’s determination to get ahead came after the United States declared war on Germany in 1917. The economy was floundering so city leaders lobbied the federal government for a military training camp. Charlotte competed against Syracuse, N.Y., Athens, Ga., Fayetteville and Wilmington.

When the general in charge of selecting sites arrived to look over Charlotte, some 8,000 of the city’s 50,000 residents turned out to hear him speak.

Charlotte got Camp Greene – and a financial boost.

“There are just so many times that we do that as a city,” said Mary Hopper, director of University City Partners. “To me, it’s the most interesting thing about Charlotte. When we want something, we just go to whoever has it and explain why we should get it.” Boosterism isn’t an adequate enough term to use for Charlotte, Hopper believes. “It’s boosterism bordering on hubris.”
Read more here: ‘The little city that could’ | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
"One of my favorite anecdotes about Charlotte is in Applebome’s 1996 book, “Dixie Rising: How the South is Shaping American Values, Politics and Culture.” He interviewed Thomas Storrs, the former chairman of NCNB bank (now Bank of America).

“When I first came here in 1959, a cousin in Richmond told me Charlotte’s a wonderful place,” Storrs told Applebome. “She said the best way to summarize Charlotte is to say that if the Russians bomb us and the first wave of bombs that comes over doesn’t include one for Charlotte, people here would be very much disappointed.”

“That’s Charlotte,” Applebome wrote, “a place that would rather be incinerated than be small time.'”

Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
"One of my favorite anecdotes about Charlotte is in Applebome’s 1996 book, “Dixie Rising: How the South is Shaping American Values, Politics and Culture.” He interviewed Thomas Storrs, the former chairman of NCNB bank (now Bank of America).

“When I first came here in 1959, a cousin in Richmond told me Charlotte’s a wonderful place,” Storrs told Applebome. “She said the best way to summarize Charlotte is to say that if the Russians bomb us and the first wave of bombs that comes over doesn’t include one for Charlotte, people here would be very much disappointed.”

“That’s Charlotte,” Applebome wrote, “a place that would rather be incinerated than be small time.'”

Hahahah

Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM

41 posts, read 45,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That creates a greater synergy in Charlotte's core that's not found in Raleigh's. And Charlotte is a city of over 750K; that small town way of thinking isn't suitable for the primary city of a large and growing mid-major metropolitan area. The more development Uptown, the better. If you don't care for it, there's always Hickory.

How is Raleigh's any better? There might be a little less of it, but I don't see how it's qualitatively any better.
i did say "for me" and thats qualatative enough "for me". im glad you are seeing.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:

delusions occur. the plauge was big time too....i doubt anyone wants it again.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
While they continue to commute to Charlotte for work, shopping, eating, and extended entertainment offerings.

i worked right beside a strip club in charlotte and those ******* werent any better.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
It might have to do with competition with Charlotte and the Triangle. Genuinely asking here, but is there anything the Triad can offer, that you can't find in Charlotte nor the Triangle? And although the commute is a little long, people from both metros can travel to the Triad if they need to.

did traid 'suffer' from greater economic upheaval from traditional manufactuing like furniture and textiles than charlotte and traingle??

Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
i did say "for me" and thats qualatative enough "for me". im glad you are seeing.
Fair enough; I'm just curious about the differences you perceived.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
It looks like Charlotte is truly becoming more of a financial services company instead of just a banktown. In one of the newest towers that set to be built, Babson Capital (a subsidiary of MassMutual) will be the anchor tenant. It is also considering HQing down here. I find this news good because it shows that Charlotte is becoming an ideal location for financial services. This is in turn is good for NC because in the Triangle you have higher ed, biotech, pharmaceuticals, and IT (just to name a few) and in Metrolina you have financial services, manufacturing, and energy (also to name a few).

Babson Capital CEO anticipates putting headquarters in new Charlotte office tower - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Numbers are out. Charlotte outpaced Raleigh 2.4% to 2%.

Charlotte grew by 18,420

Not sure by how much Raleigh grew numerically. I heard it on the news this morning.

One would expect with such smaller land area than Charlotte, Raleigh would lead percentage wise over Charlotte.

Of course this doesn't help the schism of "Charlotte VS. Raleigh" which usually opinions differ primarily because the two are built different (Metrolina being Charlotte-centric/Triangle being a collection of strong cities)

Even within Charlotte, Majority of growth is in center city. Not the vast areas of rural areas in East/North Charlotte

Edit: Raleigh added 8,000
NC population estimate

Mecklenburg also outpaced Wake 2.4% to 2.3%

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-22-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina