Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times

Advertisements

Holy crap!!! It looks like we are about to embark on another boom of uptown real estate development. Here is a major development by Spectrum Properties and 300 South Tryon is back.

Sources: Spectrum planning uptown office tower, has anchor tenant - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Holy crap!!! It looks like we are about to embark on another boom of uptown real estate development. Here is a major development by Spectrum Properties and 300 South Tryon is back.

Sources: Spectrum planning uptown office tower, has anchor tenant - Charlotte Business Journal

by next year, we could have more than 5 skyscrapers and several midrises under construction uptown. 2 being large office towers.

Yay 2014/2015

I'm just read for the uptown retail boom to follow. I don't know if you guys knows this but Bank of America Plaza is converting the first 2 floors to retail.

Whole Foods is rumored for uptown, Urban Outfitters and other major retail conversions are planned. In addition, both new office towers are going to have huge retail components.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
by next year, we could have more than 5 skyscrapers and several midrises under construction uptown. 2 being large office towers.

Yay 2014/2015

I'm just read for the uptown retail boom to follow. I don't know if you guys knows this but Bank of America Plaza is converting the first 2 floors to retail.

Whole Foods is rumored for uptown, Urban Outfitters and other major retail conversions are planned. In addition, both new office towers are going to have huge retail components.

And all of this will happen just in time for the streetcar line. I hope the city can figure out a way to fund the extension to JCSU and Plaza Midwood soon.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And all of this will happen just in time for the streetcar line. I hope the city can figure out a way to fund the extension to JCSU and Plaza Midwood soon.
I know that we did win some federal funds for this extension. I'm sure the city will find a way to get this to work as it will definitely have a great impact. With all of this retail and the extension of the blue line many TOD should occur. 2020 Charlotte will drastically different from 2010 Charlotte. It may not be too far fetched to see Charlotte hit 1 million by 2020, on or after census. This of course would require tons of breakneck growth but it is possible given the recent gains.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Another big difference between the cultures of Charlotte and Raleigh: Raleigh residents are a lot less excited and gung ho about growth and development than the uberstoked pro-growth Charlotteans. This is generally speaking, but it is even evident on this forum and other urban planning forums.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Another big difference between the cultures of Charlotte and Raleigh: Raleigh residents are a lot less excited and gung ho about growth and development than the uberstoked pro-growth Charlotteans. This is generally speaking, but it is even evident on this forum and other urban planning forums.
Reading anecdotal nonsense like this makes me laugh. How many regular users are on the Charlotte and Triangle Forum? A few hundred at most. That compared to the hundreds of thousands that call both metros home. There is nothing less reliable to base your notion on than an anonymous Internet forum that is utilized by less than .01% of the population. Same goes for those other forums.

Do me a favor, next time you start to think this is real again google the term "echo chamber".

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-05-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Reading anecdotal nonsense like this makes me laugh. How many regular users are on the Charlotte and Triangle Forum? A few hundred at most. That compared to the hundreds of thousands that call both metros home. There is nothing less reliable to base your notion on than an anonymous Internet forum that is utilized by less than .01% of the population. Same goes for those other forums.

Do me a favor, next time you start to think this is real again google the term "echo chamber".
I wa about to say something of the same sort but you beat me to it. I'm certain the city of Charlotte wants all of the positive smart growth as Charlotte does. But these forums are hardly the barometer to measure the city attitude.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I wa about to say something of the same sort but you beat me to it. I'm certain the city of Charlotte wants all of the positive smart growth as Charlotte does. But these forums are hardly the barometer to measure the city attitude.

Ughhhh yeah.

It's a website about cities. I like following city developments. I live in Charlotte so obviously it's the one I follow closer... And it's in that spot of "Not Quite there yet" major city. If we were there yet, skyscrapers, retail, bike share etc wouldn't be exciting.... If we weren't close to being there yet, it also wouldn't be exciting because the long term vision plans seem so unrealistic

Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 AM

]I was about to say something of the same sort but you beat me to it. I'm certain the city of Raleigh wants all of the positive smart growth as Charlotte does. But these forums are hardly the barometer to measure the city attitude. I had to fix my statement.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Yes, these forums are not a scientific barometer of the attitudes, views, and composition of real cities or regions, but I think they can be indicative of the mindset that predominates there. Moreover, it is not just forum that we are talking about. If you review the many urban planning forums on the internet, you will notice that Charlotteans tend to be amongst the most zealous and active posters. They not only love their city, but they love growth and want to be a "world class city."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina