Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times

Advertisements

Great news for both areas possibly, as well as the Triad. AT&T is considering both metros for its gigabit per second fiber network for ultra high speed internet access. This type of infrastructure is necessary for development. For Charlotte this also include Huntersville and Gastonia, so this network is more comprehensive than the Google network. I wonder of it would be possible that Google and the AT&T network would both appear in a single network. Good news for both metros if it actually happens.
AT&T Eyes 100 U.S. Cities and Municipalities for Its Ultra-Fast Fiber Network - Dallas Business Journal

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
By the end of the decade, there will be over 1.1 million people in Wake County. That is unreal to ponder.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 AM

41 posts, read 45,422 times
born and lived in raliegh (1969 thru 2000) . lived in charlote (3 years and visted several times) . i will always prefer raleigh (and triangle) over charlotte.

raligh has a much more pleasant and lvable compactness than charlottes affronting sprawl..i delivered medical equipment in charlotte and the surrounding areas were just hard to look at. raleigh just has a more broadly apealing visual presence.

charlotte has a lot more pro overpaid atheletes playing pro sports and wasting fuel on race tracks..blah! if you like that go there and pay them and watch the federal reserve windows reflect on tryon st or whatever st it is.

lake norman north of charlotte?? nice , went there much as a kid. falls lake north of raleigh...nice too, went there more.

unmatched college sports competition in raleigh. raleigh..used to have the brewerey....black flag, bad brains and every other band that played in charlotte, and the cats cradle is closer to raleigh (carrboro).

ralaigh and triangle has a more overall livable pleasantness. gay or lesbian?..no problem either place really these days. charlotte has some kind of symphony...as does raleigh. bad radio both places. john boy and billy polluted both spots..i think they are gone now though. charlotte has south carolina public radio...excellent jazz. raleigh has wsha and wncu ! better 24 hr jazz.

real nc barbeque??...raleigh..not the tomato soup on pigs feet found in charlotte.

snow skiing? ok queen city is closer to the mountains. who has time for that anyway. hockey?? well raleigh has it but i wish it didnt.

a bigger mall?? charlotte, but i order from amazon anyway. raleigh is more pleasant, has an art, natural science museum and symphony. umstead park on the border too.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So we have been talking a lot about the growth rates of Mecklenburg and Wake. Here is some info about the two areas. The info will be name of county, 2013 estimated population, umerical gained since 2010, percentage increase since 2010
Mecklenburg 990,977, 71,409, 7.76%
Wake 974,289, 73,271, 8.13%

It should be noted that all values are positive. As Urbancharlotte pointed out, Wake is out gaining Mecklenburg but not at the stalwart pace speak years ago. At this rate of about 2k more that Wake is gaining it would take another 10years before Wake passes Mecklenburg.

that doesnt mean a whole poop of a lot. half a percent one day 2/3 a percent the next....i thought it was n holds barred

Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Why the obsession with constantly tearing down Raleigh at each and every opportunity? What's the motivation? I just don't get it.

shearon harris in wake county....if the bill gets sent to a check processing maching in meckenburg so what.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Hilarious! No offense Charlotteans, but Charlotte is not even the San Francisco of North Carolina, or the NC Piedmont! It is FAR too socially conservative and starchy to be even faintly compared to SF. Charlotte can't even be compared to Northern VA or DC! Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Asheville, and Durham are much more likely candidates to be considered the SF of NC.
when i was at unca in 1998 preachers were on campus preaching against homosexualtiy. regualrly and vocally.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Ok, I'm not trying to beat up on Raleigh or anything, but what's up with this statement that was made in the video: "With the new convention center, Fayetteville Street will easily rival uptown Charlotte." Just in case some people haven't noticed, it's more than just a downtown convention center in Charlotte but also light-rail and a downtown arena. Not to mention EpiCenter right across from the arena.

Well it could be said that Charlotte might be sucking up the companies, but the Triangle is easily attracting the brain power. Let's not forget that they have a slightly higher growth rate than Charlotte. Charlotte and the Triangle will split attraction for the foreseeable future, with each having different specialties. So I have to disagree about Charlotte clearly dominating and becoming Chicago-esque to the Carolinas. It will remain the region's largest city and metro for a while, but that's different from sucking up all of the talent from elsewhere. Not only do you have the Triangle, but you also have other metros in the Carolinas like Greenville and Charleston with their own niches and set of advantages that will ensure their viability even in the face of Charlotte's growing influence.
why would any one in the south want a chicago-esqe charlotte? geez

Old 04-24-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Ok, I'm not trying to beat up on Raleigh or anything, but what's up with this statement that was made in the video: "With the new convention center, Fayetteville Street will easily rival uptown Charlotte." Just in case some people haven't noticed, it's more than just a downtown convention center in Charlotte but also light-rail and a downtown arena. Not to mention EpiCenter right across from the arena.

Well it could be said that Charlotte might be sucking up the companies, but the Triangle is easily attracting the brain power. Let's not forget that they have a slightly higher growth rate than Charlotte. Charlotte and the Triangle will split attraction for the foreseeable future, with each having different specialties. So I have to disagree about Charlotte clearly dominating and becoming Chicago-esque to the Carolinas. It will remain the region's largest city and metro for a while, but that's different from sucking up all of the talent from elsewhere. Not only do you have the Triangle, but you also have other metros in the Carolinas like Greenville and Charleston with their own niches and set of advantages that will ensure their viability even in the face of Charlotte's growing influence.

light rail in downtown raleigh would be a vestigal organ. after 6 the state city and county employees split

and watch pro teams from other places on tv.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Don't Charlotte posts typically enumerate all the "reasons" why Charlotte is superior? Isn't this the same thing? If Raleigh posters put up a list of the area's superlatives for every time Charlotte's superior skyline is mentioned, it could crash city-data. Speaking of which, couldn't a "mine is bigger than yours" type of post be interpreted as insecurity as well?

a bigger mouth?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
LMFAO at that dude posting a listing saying “Raleigh-The Melting Pot was ranked as 50 Most Romantic Restaurants- OpenTable Inc., January”. I guess he didn’t know the Melting Pot is a chain…and uhhh..Charlotte has two of them.

He’s got some rankings on their twice as well. And did this guy even check to see where Charlotte ranked compared to Raleigh on those lists? Because he certainly omitted any rankings where Charlotte was higher than Raleigh…

"2010 - Relocate America Names Raleigh as the 8th Best Place To Live In the United States…The Raleigh metro area ranks among the top 10 places to live in the United States for 2010, according to a new study by the Web-based research firm RelocateAmerica.com…. Charlotte also cracked the top 10, coming in just ahead of Raleigh at No. 7."

Link: http://mytrianglegoodnews.com/?p=157
double the fat and grease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina