Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Not everyone in jail for murder or assault is a career criminal.

"Law abiding citizens" lose their tempers, get drunk even when they should not be drinking while carrying a weapon, etc.

Ya'll are naive if you think otherwise.
sure it happens, but its the exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
sure it happens, but its the exception to the rule.
What's the rule? How much crime are most people who carry concealed realistically expecting to face at their local Applebee's?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
What's the rule? How much crime are most people who carry concealed realistically expecting to face at their local Applebee's?
It is not about "expecting" crime, it is about being able to protect yourself when going about your daily life. The rate of CHP license revocations is very low. Here is data since 1995 (PDF warning):

http://www.ncdoj.gov/CHPStats.aspx

Unfortunately the stats do not indicate why permits were revoked so not all revocations may be due to criminal activity. Most of the CHP holders I know don't want to do something stupid to lose it.

Who would you rather have with a gun in a restaurant, someone who doesn't care about the law or someone who has been fingerprinted and passed a local and federal background check?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
That's one thing I hated about living in NC. If I ever went to Outback, I'd have to leave my gun in the car unattended because they served alcohol. I was not drinking alcohol, only eating a steak. People seem to only mention "GUNS IN BARS OMG!" and seem to forget that Applebees, Outback, and local burger places serve alcohol.

While eating at one of these places, my gun was alone in the car ready for any thief to swoop by and steal it. Preventing CHP holders from carrying in restaurants actually PUTS guns in the hands of criminals.

Anyone who supports the current gun control laws in NC supports racism as many of them are hold-over laws from the Jim Crow era.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
It is not about "expecting" crime, it is about being able to protect yourself when going about your daily life. The rate of CHP license revocations is very low. Here is data since 1995 (PDF warning):

http://www.ncdoj.gov/CHPStats.aspx

Unfortunately the stats do not indicate why permits were revoked so not all revocations may be due to criminal activity. Most of the CHP holders I know don't want to do something stupid to lose it.

Who would you rather have with a gun in a restaurant, someone who doesn't care about the law or someone who has been fingerprinted and passed a local and federal background check?
How in the hell is that going to make anyone safer? This is likened to providing more alcohol to someone who is already totally wasted or supplying a match and gasoline to an arsonist, typical GOP stupidity!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Not everyone in jail for murder or assault is a career criminal.

"Law abiding citizens" lose their tempers, get drunk even when they should not be drinking while carrying a weapon, etc.

Ya'll are naive if you think otherwise.
Drunk people kill people with cars all the time, yet nobody has introduced legislation to ban cars. The sheriff in my county stated over 10,000 CCW permits have been issued and only a handful have been revoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
That's one thing I hated about living in NC. If I ever went to Outback, I'd have to leave my gun in the car unattended because they served alcohol. I was not drinking alcohol, only eating a steak. People seem to only mention "GUNS IN BARS OMG!" and seem to forget that Applebees, Outback, and local burger places serve alcohol.

While eating at one of these places, my gun was alone in the car ready for any thief to swoop by and steal it. Preventing CHP holders from carrying in restaurants actually PUTS guns in the hands of criminals.

Anyone who supports the current gun control laws in NC supports racism as many of them are hold-over laws from the Jim Crow era.
There seems to be popular notion of ignorance that:
a) a person(s) who patronizes an eating establisment that serves alcohol can't possibly be going there only to dine.
b) a person(s) who consumes alcohol at a bar or dining establishment is doing it for the sole purpose of getting plastered.
c) Restaurant + bars + guns = more shootings

Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
How in the hell is that going to make anyone safer? This is likened to providing more alcohol to someone who is already totally wasted or supplying a match and gasoline to an arsonist, typical GOP stupidity!
It has always been illegal to drink while carrying concealed and a gun does not have a magical forcefield that automatically causes people to break the law.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Drunk people kill people with cars all the time, yet nobody has introduced legislation to ban cars. The sheriff in my county stated over 10,000 CCW permits have been issued and only a handful have been revoked.

There seems to be popular notion of ignorance that:
a) a person(s) who patronizes an eating establisment that serves alcohol can't possibly be going there only to dine.
b) a person(s) who consumes alcohol at a bar or dining establishment is doing it for the sole purpose of getting plastered.
c) Restaurant + bars + guns = more shootings
Ummm. People need transportation. They don't need guns strapped to their hip 24/7.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ummm. People need transportation. They don't need guns strapped to their hip 24/7.
People don't "need" to have the ability to communicate instantly via smartphone either. It is not a Bill of Needs, it is a Bill of Rights. People have the right to protect themselves. The law abiding permit holders in NC are not the problem.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
It has always been illegal to drink while carrying concealed and a gun does not have a magical forcefield that automatically causes people to break the law.
I'm stiil not convinced this new law is going to make things any safer, you're just going to encourage more wannabe vigilanties, why don't we go back to the Wild West days while we're at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina