Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Nearly one in five North Carolinians under the age of 65 did not have health insurance in 2010, according to estimates by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Click on a county on the link below to generate a chart showing the percentage of the population without health insurance in 2006 and 2010.

Click on the "Statewide" button to generate a table showing the percentage of the population without health insurance in all counties. NC Insurance | NewsObserver.com

In North Carolina, only two insurers will sell subsidized policies: Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Too bad it doesn't break down the info by age. I'd like to know how many of those people are young and are just going to going to pay the penalty.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Default Insurance exchanges

Please do not turn this into a political post, it is merely a person, who is unsurable at this point asking a simple health question.

Did the state, or should I say is the state of NC going to have insurance exchanges for the Obama Care that comes into affect on 1-1-2014?

If so does anyone have a web site they can direct me to?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
NC has elected not to operate its own exchange, so residents will have to use the federal exchange. Here's a link with info:

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Here's a graphic with some age/premium information (BCBS) -

Blue Cross of NC releases rate info for Obamacare plans - Charlotte Business Journal

It's so hard to discuss this without getting into politics. So - I voted for Obama twice, and my ideal would be single payer. However, I'm dreading Obamacare because I'm guessing that my employer will find a way to drive us to the exchanges if they can find a way ... and I wouldn't get a subsidy ... and I think my premiums could be close to $500 a month. That doesn't include deductibles (surely high) or coinsurance (the bronze plan only pays 60%; the platinum 90%).

POTUS said over the weekend that the plan would cost a cell phone bill. I think that's incredibly irresponsible to say.

I'm really worked up over this. I keep hearing people say cost will be offset by subsidies but a HUGE chunk of the middle class will be eliminated from that subsidy. Also, with only two insurers in our state participating, there will hardly be a lot of free market competition. AND, we can't buy insurance across state lines.

So:

--As long as I live in this state I will never go into business for myself
--Woe to me if I get laid off and end up with part time jobs until I get a full time
--I'm considering moving to a state with more insurers and one that has their own plan

Very worried.

Before liberals yell at me: I'm a liberal. Before conservatives agree with me: I want single payer. Everything good about the ACA would also be present in a single payer system. And there IS a lot of good in the ACA but there's a big doughnut hole that is going to ruin people.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
The ACA could have been good. But it won't be. The law of unintended consequences caught up with it. Early. Employers are dumping employees out of the "have to provide" bracket, hours, temp, contractor and all of those will end up costing taxpayers money, when the assumptions were that employers would pay. The really sad thing is that when employers drop employees off health care, prices do not come down, the employer just makes more money.

This deal is too complex. In 2 - 3 years it will not be recognizable since I am sure a lot will go away. some will stay and that will form the core of the next attempt. I too, vote demo, but ACA is just not workable.

Oh most of my healthcare has been military medicine. So my standards in regards to choice are pretty low.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM

well I wanted to retire next year, not quite old enough for Medicare. I could have cobra'd my employers insurance for 18 months at a mere 700.00 a month. I could have went with a private carrier, alas, not with a bad heart, no one wants to cover you, however if I could have found a carrier, it would have been between 1200.00 to 1400.00 a month...not able to do that on SS. My SS will be 14,000.00 a year. My portion of the insurance coverage will be around 50.00 a month (Silver plan) after the federal contribution. For me it works, for me I can get out of the work force and some young person can come take my job (which has fabulous medical benefits ) The more money you make the more you will pay.
And what happens if you move out of state? Say in the middle of the year? Then what?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Too bad it doesn't break down the info by age. I'd like to know how many of those people are young and are just going to going to pay the penalty.
For the first few years the penalty won't be significant...but after ? Yes, the penalty will be very high. Also if you do a google search you can find several calculators that have been released that show how much per age, if you smoke and so forth. I highly suggest smokers stop now, because that is going to ding you a couple of hundred more a month no matter what age you are.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
NC has elected not to operate its own exchange, so residents will have to use the federal exchange. Here's a link with info:

https://www.healthcare.gov/
Thank you so much for the info :-)

Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
well I wanted to retire next year, not quite old enough for Medicare. I could have cobra'd my employers insurance for 18 months at a mere 700.00 a month. I could have went with a private carrier, alas, not with a bad heart, no one wants to cover you, however if I could have found a carrier, it would have been between 1200.00 to 1400.00 a month...not able to do that on SS. My SS will be 14,000.00 a year. My portion of the insurance coverage will be around 50.00 a month (Silver plan) after the federal contribution. For me it works, for me I can get out of the work force and some young person can come take my job (which has fabulous medical benefits ) The more money you make the more you will pay.
And what happens if you move out of state? Say in the middle of the year? Then what?
And for you I'm glad you'll have coverage. I thought that was the aim of the law. The idea of everyone having coverage is cheaper in the long run because they aren't getting emergency room only care.

But, as is stated earlier in the thread, and as we have seen with Trader Joe's, people are being pushed to ACA that already had insurance. For Trader Joe's it's a matter of being a better deal for their employees. That's great for them but in essence we are using tax dollars to get the insured covered by government programs. That's one of the Laws I see as also mentioned above. Where does this money come from to pay the subsidies of people that are already insured?

And then there's the issue of competition. I don't know about other states but I do not see in NC that the competition is going to drive costs down. There is only ONE statewide insurer participating in the plan. That cannot be a good thing.

The cynic in me thinks that this is driving towards single payer. And I'm not judging whether that would be good or bad. It's just suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina