Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverqueen44mag View Post
Havelock is the armpit of NC
This is not the first time I've heard this sentiment, but no one ever explains it. When people talk about Kinston, Wilson, Rocky Mount, and even Greenville they mention crime, schools, small mindedness, and poverty. havelock doesn't have any of these things. What exactly makes Haveock so bad? .....besides the million stop lights slowing you down on the way to the beach, that is. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 PM

240 posts, read 559,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchild7 View Post
Hi ...i was looking to move to NC so let me see if I understand correctly.....the majority is saying that the Western part of the state is better than the Eastern part of the state....eastern NC is under financial hardship....it seems to struggle while the western part ...such as charlotte is booming with businesses and financially stability. WHERE ARE THESE GHOST TOWN THAT PEOPLE SPEAK OF? and please name the top five GHETTO and / or poor places in NC. I try to stay CLEAR of poverty stricken areas.....i also want to avoid a burning cross in my back yard , thank you

Funny! I used to think the same way about Eastern vs. Western NC. Now, I can't even tell a difference anymore; they are both as bad. Staying clear of poverty stricken areas is a very smart move b/c many of those places are high crime areas. There definitely is a lot of poverty down here; it's sad. I see it everyday and I supposedly live in an area with a lot of people who have money. It's no Beverly Hills for sure. Most of NC is pretty ''ghetto'' IMO. Nothing wrong with it, but if you don't favor that lifestyle it can be pretty nerve racking.

Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area are both driving the growth of the state. If I had my choice between Charlotte, RDU, and more research; I would pick to do more research. It has paid off big time.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
Funny! I used to think the same way about Eastern vs. Western NC. Now, I can't even tell a difference anymore; they are both as bad. Staying clear of poverty stricken areas is a very smart move b/c many of those places are high crime areas. There definitely is a lot of poverty down here; it's sad. I see it everyday and I supposedly live in an area with a lot of people who have money. It's no Beverly Hills for sure. Most of NC is pretty ''ghetto'' IMO. Nothing wrong with it, but if you don't favor that lifestyle it can be pretty nerve racking.
I agree with this. My wife and I had to go to High Point to rescue a Border Collie. 8 months old and dang, someone has taught this puppy some bad manners. We'll get her fixed up though. Anyway, you could pick High Point and it's surrounding area up and drop it right into Eastern Carolina and it would fit right in.

We once went out just driving around and ended up in Southern Pines. We took a road back, I think it was NC 210, I'm not sure, but I have never seen so many mobile homes in my life. We went through a 30 mile stretch and there was just mobile home after trailer park after mobile home... It just went on and on.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
We once went out just driving around and ended up in Southern Pines. We took a road back, I think it was NC 210, I'm not sure, but I have never seen so many mobile homes in my life. We went through a 30 mile stretch and there was just mobile home after trailer park after mobile home... It just went on and on.
Oh no, not mobile homes and trailer parks!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
This is not the first time I've heard this sentiment, but no one ever explains it. When people talk about Kinston, Wilson, Rocky Mount, and even Greenville they mention crime, schools, small mindedness, and poverty. havelock doesn't have any of these things. What exactly makes Haveock so bad? .....besides the million stop lights slowing you down on the way to the beach, that is. lol
I think it's because it gives off the vibe that unless you have specific business there, there's no reason to be there. The rougher parts of Greenville or Rocky Mount nobody's forcing you to look at them, but Havelock kinda lays out its crappiness for all to see.

In Havelock's defense it's a military town; they're supposed to look like that. Somewhere like Hickory, whose main business section is almost identical to Jacksonville; what's their excuse?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc
Most of NC is pretty ''ghetto'' IMO. Nothing wrong with it, but if you don't favor that lifestyle it can be pretty nerve racking.
LOL, emphasis on most. I personally could not live ANYWHERE in this state east of Hickory. And honestly, I wouldn't want to live that far east even. Unless I was up in the High Country around Boone, that is. After having lived in these mountains for a good long while now, I personally just couldn't imagine living in somewhere like Raleigh or Charlotte. Every time I go to those places for whatever reason I remember why I left the Deep South to go to the mountains. And I take pride in the fact that I have yet to read anyone in this thread mentioning anywhere in WNC in their "worst towns" list. I absolutely LOVE my little unincorporated community tucked away in the mountains north of Asheville. It's nothing like Asheville here in Barnardsville. Not at all.

Worst towns in NC? Gotta be Charlotte, Raleigh, Fayetteville, and maybe Kinston gets honorable mention. Kinston reminds me of Selma, Alabama, which is not a good thing. No offense to Kinstonians out there, but I just don't like that town very much. And anywhere with a big population is automatically on my list. A big population would be anything above, say, 70k for a city and 15k for a town. Boone is probably that big, but, well, it's Boone, so it doesn't fit into that category. It's too nice of a town.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
LOL, emphasis on most. I personally could not live ANYWHERE in this state east of Hickory. And honestly, I wouldn't want to live that far east even. Unless I was up in the High Country around Boone, that is. After having lived in these mountains for a good long while now, I personally just couldn't imagine living in somewhere like Raleigh or Charlotte. Every time I go to those places for whatever reason I remember why I left the Deep South to go to the mountains. And I take pride in the fact that I have yet to read anyone in this thread mentioning anywhere in WNC in their "worst towns" list. I absolutely LOVE my little unincorporated community tucked away in the mountains north of Asheville. It's nothing like Asheville here in Barnardsville. Not at all.

You really hit the nail in the head with that one. That means you are wise and know better. I hate Raleigh and especially Charlotte with a passion and for reasons like the ones you've mentioned and more. It's just growing too fast.

Worst towns in NC? Gotta be Charlotte, Raleigh, Fayetteville, and maybe Kinston gets honorable mention. Kinston reminds me of Selma, Alabama, which is not a good thing. No offense to Kinstonians out there, but I just don't like that town very much. And anywhere with a big population is automatically on my list. A big population would be anything above, say, 70k for a city and 15k for a town. Boone is probably that big, but, well, it's Boone, so it doesn't fit into that category. It's too nice of a town.
AMEN!!! I live in the Raleigh/Durham area, and I have spent a lot of time in Charlotte. Once upon a time, I wanted to move to Charlotte until I realized that it was not much better it was than the Raleigh/Durham area. In fact, it's worse (especially with the congestion and all). If someone wanted me to answer the question of: worst towns in NC, I could easily say ''ALL OF THEM.'' Charlotte made the list of most miserable cities, and it's well deserved if you ask me.

Both of those cities (Raleigh and Charlotte) are driving the growth of the state. When I first went there many years ago, I was, like, ''wow, awesome city.'' Now, I just want to avoid that place like the plague (as well as its surrounding area). This place (the state as a whole) was a much more decent place to live in until everybody started moving here. Many also move here based on what is written in publications like Money. Bad idea! While many have liked it just the same, there are others who have regreted (sp?) their moves. I would recommend this place to nobody, but if they feel it is for them I tell them, ''just come down here, visit several times, and make a determination from there.'' I feel that is fair b/c one person may like it and another one no.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I agree with this. My wife and I had to go to High Point to rescue a Border Collie. 8 months old and dang, someone has taught this puppy some bad manners. We'll get her fixed up though. Anyway, you could pick High Point and it's surrounding area up and drop it right into Eastern Carolina and it would fit right in.

Kinda sounds like a kennel I went into that had lousy service in the same city (High Point). Hopefully, it will all work out good. Reasons of that nature are why I am reluctant about adopting animals.

Compared to almost every place I have been to people in NC seem to thrive in bad manners, and as many natives are responsible in addition to transplants. Those are only my observations on the matter. I don't know how anybody could think High Point is ''great.'' Personally, the Triad is the only place I can actually cope with compared to the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham area) and especially the Charlotte area. Another thing I abhor about Raleigh is the airport but I won't get into that.

I too have noticed that about many of the back roads here in NC. Don't tell someone who lives here that though. It's sad when you have to see it. For that reason, I hardly drive through the rural parts anymore. It's too depressing.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
You guys should spend some time driving around the rural parts of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, or just about any other state you can name. NC has no monopoly on mobile homes or bad manners.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
We went through a 30 mile stretch and there was just mobile home after trailer park after mobile home... It just went on and on.
Where do you expect lower-income or retired people to live? I lived in a mobile home as a kid, and found it much better than a boarding house or apartment in the city. A mobile home gives a family some open space and independence at a low price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina