Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:45 PM

983 posts, read 3,989,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post

No. I notice road kill on the side of the road quit often, including cats and dogs. Where is the department cleaning it up? How about the trash bags on 73 that have been there since april.

You need to call the DOT District office for your area for the roadkill and the trash. The trash was probably picked up by a local group that forgot to notify DOT that they were picking it up and they need to come get it.

No. Back to the TAX poor state, why isn't SC for example collecting revenue for car inspections? Yet all the while the cars are broken down on the side of the roads with towels hanging out of the window. Do you find that normal? It is avoidable by doing required inspections.

We're in NC, so we really don't care what they're doing in SC.

If it's so awful here....the roads in NC lead OUT of the state.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 AM

118 posts, read 185,486 times
Apparently I can talk social issues all day but natives really don't care about them...the hottest issue from yesterday demonstrated we have the worst climate for teachers here in NC vs. all 50 states and 1 local. Did anyone here read the article or was it ignored? If you did you probably thought it must have been when the democrates were in charge. BTW, the states with the best schools are democratic states...so it must have been from the last time the republicans ran the state. Second, it must be ok to leave cat and dogs to rot on the side of roads because hell we don't want no damn nanny state taxes cleaning up rotting animals from our roads. This is what you are building for yourselves...read this article from the weather channel and defend this. Southern 'Megalopolis,' Pest-Ridden and Traffic-Choked, to Stretch From Raleigh to Atlanta by 2060: Study - weather.com

"Southern 'Megalopolis,' Pest-Ridden and Traffic-Choked, to Stretch From Raleigh to Atlanta by 2060: Study:

Ladies and Gentlemen: This is basic logic. IF A leads to B then (Change strategy leading to an alternative outcome). In other words, If A. NC has the worse schools in the US THEN DO C. implement a strategy to change the outcome....Nothing will change if you keep telling anyone from up north known to be socially active to shutup or leave.

With that being said, it was a pleasure. Enjoy your pest riddent megalopis. I am leaving in March...peace!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 AM

135 posts, read 162,854 times
I'm glad it won't be a Megalopolis until 2060 as I don't think I'll make it that long Of course, I remember reading that about the northeast corridor (Richmond, VA to NY, NY and beyond) in the late 70s or early 80s saying it would be that way by 2000 or something...I don't think the area has quite reached that level yet, but I'm looking forward to getting out of it into a MUCH less congested area that (per the article) won't get as bad as my current location until way after I'm gone. While that isn't the only reason we are moving, it is certainly one aspect I'm looking forward to!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM

353 posts, read 604,941 times
Bye!!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
.... Enjoy your pest riddent megalopis. I am leaving in March...peace!
Indeed there are annoying pests in the South, but they are of the two legged variety. It's a beast with many eccentricities including never being happy and chasing after unicorns & rainbows. The preferred eradication method is to simply ignore it as it rarely stays put once no attention is given to it.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:47 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
"Southern 'Megalopolis,' Pest-Ridden and Traffic-Choked, to Stretch From Raleigh to Atlanta by 2060: Study:

With that being said, it was a pleasure. Enjoy your pest riddent megalopis. I am leaving in March...peace!
LOL, how would you define the Megalopolis from Boston to DC that covers your Promised Land?

Is it March yet?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

118 posts, read 185,486 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
LOL, how would you define the Megalopolis from Boston to DC that covers your Promised Land?

Is it March yet?

it doesn't exist the way you think it does NC Native. Ever been?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
Quote:
Thanks for the notes Todd. I have called on a number of things in Lincoln Co. There is a county pond down the road which has a lot of litter, etc. in it (tires, dead fish, trash). I contacted the county and they never responded. I contacted the CMPD about concerns of safety issues in Charlotte and was responded to with a canned email to only write if a crime is taking place. I once emailed my mayor in MA about concerns of a littered waterway and he swiftly responded and said they would look into it. As for the dog, I should not have to call anyone. There should be a town/city/county funded department that handles roadkill...it has always been the case where I have lived.

My point here is why does NC keep landing on the bottom of the list for certain things like the schools. Why are they always at the top of the list for things like unemployment and obesity?

Maybe if you stopped and thought about what we are talking about you would learn something.
How does the city/county department find out about a deceased animal? Generally someone calls in to report it. Sometimes people just call the cops and the dispatcher contacts the appropriate department. I love pets so I find it really sad and disrespectful to this loyal friend. I think in these cases contacting the media is a good idea, because many people do love pets and would be outraged by this, it would be a story of interest to many.

As far as education and the recent study rating the states by Wallethub, I don't really believe these studies tell the whole story. New York was ranked 7th and Illinois 22nd, and both New York City and Chicago have some God awful public schools. Maryland was ranked 19th, but you can bet the same applies to the Baltimore schools. Illinois is number 3 for top annual salaries (adjusted for COL), but that doesn't mean the teachers are necessarily of higher quality and doing a better job teaching their students than those in states ranking lower.

New Jersey was ranked first for best school system and came in fifth highest spending. Yet in Newark, parents recently boycotted new changes, keeping their kids out of school, some for the entire month of September. The protest is over a new system that reorganized the state-run district this year. It gives student the option of going to another school outside their own neighborhood school, they also have expanded charter schools and are consolidating or re-purposing other schools. The U.S. Department of Education is investigating the plan over claims that it has a disproportionally negative impact on minority students. So even in states ranked very well by this study they still have their on going issues. Certainly there are students not doing well in the NJ school system. Crime remains an issue too.

From the article in NJSpotlight (below) regarding the NJ school system, "The test is now everything. Test scores determine whether a school closes in Newark. Test scores determine whether a school gets a “Priority,” “Focus,” or “Reward” rating from NJDOE. Test scores, as filtered through Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs), will play a critical role in determining whether a teacher of a tested subject keeps her job. Test scores determine whether a school outperforms its “peers” in the new performance reports. And yet, so far as I know, New Jersey has never conducted an independent study to determine the validity or reliability of the NJASK, HSPA, or PARCC tests that are coming. And we know that student poverty is heavily correlated to proficiency rates, which raises the question: what, exactly, are we testing"? "Segregated and apartheid schools are now a defining feature of New Jersey. A scathing report from the Institute on Education Law and Policy at Rutgers-Newark finds that many of New Jersey’s schools have moved beyond “segregated” status. They are, in effect, apartheid schools, where children of color have little or no interaction with white students. This intense segregation extends to poverty status as well.

Local control of schools has been eroded State control in several cities. Camden has had a history of dangerous schools, and I'm sure there are others elsewhere too where crime is an issue. So things are not perfect there by a long shot. This doesn't paint a very good picture, despite their glowing rankings on this survey.

The graduation rates for 2010-2011, shows 78 percent of students graduated in North Carolina. While Georgia graduated 67 percent, South Carolina 74 percent, Virginia, 82 percent, Tennessee 86 percent. But this survey shows Tennessee ranking 41st. I doubt things have changed that much there. South Dakota that ranked poorly in this survey, graduated 83 percent for the year above.

Much of the problems with the schools can be blamed on the administrators, their methods, how they use their funds and their agenda. The city and state government are also accountable for these school issues and their judgement often comes into question. That seems to be a constant no matter what state we are discussing.

So maybe one can't simply go by the rankings on some study.

Opinion: Looking Closely at the Dangerous Legacy of Commissioner Chris Cerf - NJ Spotlight

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-wo...teachers/7159/

Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,187 times
Another thing no one seems to mention about the school system is overcrowding. Because people are moving to NC at a rapid rate, the school systems cannot keep up. I am a teacher, but I am lucky to have small classes. Larger classes means more disruptions, more papers to grade, and more parents to deal with. Top that off with low pay and no wonder why teachers in NC are fed up.

To those complaining about roads, roadkill, and other public works in NC. You are welcome to move back up north or to CA where taxes are much higher to cover things like roadkill.

On another note, I live in a low tax state in the Midwest, but I find our DOT to be excellent. They are always doing upgrades on the highways and roadkill is usually cleaned up pronto.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
it doesn't exist the way you think it does NC Native. Ever been?
Do you think we don't travel? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina