Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
OMG - where did you learn how to read statistics?

Well by golly gee, I just don't know about all this edumacashun and whut-all. Maybe you could teach me and show me how it is that
Quote:
the bottom line is that the IQ in the south is scientifically proven to be lower than in the north
by citing some of them there scientifical studies whut will prove how dumb and backwerds we is here in the South. I shore would appreciate it seeing as how I'm so stupid and all.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The problem is your broad generalizations, as though every single person in the south is the same. Besides that, you didn't come here with any appearance of have a discussion, you came here calling all of us names and telling us all about how inferior we are in all aspects of our lives. You've left no room for discussion, painting all with the same broad brush. And, honestly, the people and events you have described are so far removed from the world I live in that I almost believe you're making most of it all up.
Yes. That sums it up very politely and succinctly.

The OP is clearly unhappy with his choice to move here. But, for all his alleged IQ and intellect, it was indeed HIM who chose to move here AND chose to live in the place he moved TO.

I was born in NC and there aren't many places here where I'd actually want to live. No hatred, it's beautiful country. It's more than I just wouldn't fit in day-to-day in more rural areas. It's not my thing.

I have lived out of state and I have traveled the US (and other countries) extensively enough that I have to say that I think the OP is either dramatizing the situation or has stepped into an alternate universe.

FWIW, here in the Triangle area of NC, roadkill doesn't go unnoticed. It is removed the same day. People take pride in their homes and the maintenance of them.

We don't have as many social programs as more densely populated states tend to have, but we also have much lower taxes, and I think that is a big lure for people who move here, so I guess it's a matter of choosing. Do you want a large buffet of social programs and entitlements or do you want low taxes? Because you cannot have both.

I do agree that we need to do something about our education rankings, but I know that those, too, are a product of the rapid influx of people from other places. When I was in high school here in the 80s, NC was lauded for their top-notch schools.

I don't know where the OP got the idea that everyone down here has a low IQ. I have never seen any data to support such a notion.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:22 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't know where the OP got the idea that everyone down here has a low IQ. I have never seen any data to support such a notion.
Don't ask OP for any data to back that up.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
I admit I threw a jab in there and I was wrong...my intention was to get experiences from other transplants when I asked "How many of you have been called a Yankees or been treated poorly by a native? Do you ever remember being rude to a Southerner when home just because you did not agree with their religion or political party?"
You threw the first punch on the Gaston County thread, then came here. I'm a native of Michigan & spent most of my life in South Jersey, just outside of Philadelphia, in the MidAtlantic. You were offensive on the Gaston County thread. You started this one off by being offensive. It was offensive that you went through thread after thread making statements about the educational system in this state & posting a link to something else. This is the type of behavior that gives transplants a bad name, particularly in rural areas.

This site is for people who are moving to the area or people who have moved & are looking for follow-up assistance, like where is the nearest (craft store name), or people telling about festivals or fairs. Read your own posts & it will tell you why people are unhappy with your point of view & that includes me. Your boorish behavior reflects on other people who are trying to blend in.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
I am quite open to any formal feedback...and yes, I did consider what you have said...do i let this bother me more than i should, i sure do...but why can't we have a conversation about things like the traffic on 77...how about the dead animals not getting cleaned up...how about all of the urban sprawl...can we be concerned our teachers are not getting paid well? how about talk about the HS drop out rate, crime, obsesity, lack of heath care access, or the homeless on our streets...honestly, I made it my mission the past few days to try to get a different point of view out there and was met with "shut up or leave" or something on the lines of "you northeast yankees" or "we don't want no damn nanny state." Why can't we talk social issues without all the other junk? I would be more than happy to have a serious conversation about it...but i am a yankee and of course if you call me one i will fight you on it...and i wont stop until this place bans me or i get bored...because i believe in social equality...not god and my gun dont tread on me junk...it does't work all that well.
Go back to your longest post in this topic, print it out, and stand in front of a mirror and read it out loud.

You should then have your answer as to why you are unable to hold a serious conversation with anyone on these subjects.

(The vast majority of people in this world, don't care where you come from, but if you make it an issue, then you will have an issue.)

Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
[quote=TypicalSituation77;36724662][quote=Caleb Longstreet;36724409]

I do have to say though that those from the South that visit the North are rarely, if ever treated poorly JUST because they were from the South so take some pride in that. Most up there find the accent charming and love to just hear it. Go figure.
Quote:

Agree. I would always want to talk the ear off someone from the south. I never thought to myself anything about the civil war, or why they live here, and wish them to leave...

One of the best things about NC to me are the wineries. We have one of those tour books and travel all over the state going to different places for tastings...I am like a kid and repeat the word muscadine muscadine...lol...the BBQ is pretty darn good but wouldn't eat it every day. As for the beer, GA has a few good breweries as well as Virginia. Western MA also has some great breweries...I have a tough time w/ the Charlotte IPA's as they are a bit too strong for me...
How do you know how I'm treated when I visit other places? You don't. You are, again, making generalizations about large groups of people.

I have been a Social Worker for a very long time. They taught us in social work school how to do something about problems, not just yammer about what's bothering you to others. SO if you have strong feelings about social justice (somehow roadkill doesn't quite fit into that category), then get out and volunteer.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
[quote=Sue at the Rock;36726402][quote=TypicalSituation77;36724662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

[i]I do have to say though that those from the South that visit the North are rarely, if ever treated poorly JUST because they were from the South so take some pride in that. Most up there find the accent charming and love to just hear it. Go figure.

How do you know how I'm treated when I visit other places? You don't. You are, again, making generalizations about large groups of people.

I have been a Social Worker for a very long time. They taught us in social work school how to do something about problems, not just yammer about what's bothering you to others. SO if you have strong feelings about social justice (somehow roadkill doesn't quite fit into that category), then get out and volunteer.

In addition, I believe in "blooming where you are planted", perhaps the OP would consider trying that

After all, everywhere you go, there you are!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Most stereotypes have an element of truth. Some, not all, of the 'Yankees' I know fit the bill. Loud and some what obnoxious. I can pick them out of a crowd.
As for people from New England they tend to be condescending. They'll tell you all about how American history began with the Pilgrims and talk about the first Thanksgiving. Neither being true. When you inform them that the first permanent English settlement was years before the Pilgrims in Jamestown VA they have a strange look on their faces. And that the first Thanksgiving was certainly in Jamestown and not by the 'Pilgrim Fathers' they dismiss it as an error on your part.
Ironically, the first English settlement was in North Carolina! Imagine if it were permanent... .

In all seriousness, I can imagine how annoying it is when people expect the same conveniences at their old home at their new home. People do themselves a disservice by assuming everyone has their standards and that they're "wrong" if they don't. Every place isn't going to have the same expectations and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't expect NC to have NY style Pizza. (I'd go to NYC for that). Likewise, I wouldn't expect it to have Mexican food that one could find in Los Angeles. However, I'd expect Carolinians to know how to cook greens properly, to fry chicken, pull pork, make cornbread, and or biscuits along with macaroni and cheese. (Please and thank you in advance.) Otherwise, that's a problem... .

Last edited by LexWest; 10-02-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
You guys lost the war. Get over it .

Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You guys lost the war. Get over it .
What war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina