Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM

118 posts, read 185,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Good lord, you just don't quit. I'm a transplant & I've told you that you're out of line. You're living in a county that is redder than red. NC natives warn against Lincolnton on the Charlotte board. You bought in the wrong place. You are projecting it to the whole state.

I've been to Lincolnton. As advertised by natives, the folks aren't sociable or welcoming. I treat people in a pleasant manner & don't talk down to them. Nobody mentioned the Civil War to me. the only times that I've heard NC natives bring up the Civil War was to blame SC for it.

I live in denver about 5 miles from huntersville...and i rent a house because i don't plan to stay here...i only find the natives in the charlotte area to be nasty nasty toward us...for whatever reason in WNC they are very very nice.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
UMM...I live in denver about 5 miles from huntersville...and i rent a house because i don't plan to stay here...
There's enough transplants in Denver that you have no excuse. You get back what you give off. I live in Kings Mountain. Nobody treats me poorly in Shelby, Kings Mountain, Gastonia, Hickory, etc. Expect the same problems in Virginia. Wherever you go, there you are.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-02-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,431,048 times
Quote:
I live in denver about 5 miles from huntersville...and i rent a house because i don't plan to stay here...i only find the natives in the charlotte area to be nasty nasty toward us...for whatever reason in WNC they are very very nice.
Are they dumb there too?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:07 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,707,608 times
Quote:
.......for whatever reason in WNC they are very very nice.
I suppose for you, it probably is odd that someone is nice in response. The reason behind it, since you asked, is simple pity. They know a lost cause when they see it. It's nothing more complicated than that. Maybe you are not like this in your real, non-Internet anonymous, relationships but we can only go by your posts of disgust here.

When you are gone you won't be missed. It's all rather pointless if you ask me. If you are lucky, you will find some real purpose in life beyond the need to make others feel bad about themselves. It doesn't work you know, but I suppose there is no point in telling you that either.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I suppose for you, it probably is odd that someone is nice in response. The reason behind it, since you asked, is simple pity. They know a lost cause when they see it. It's nothing more complicated than that. Maybe you are not like this in your real, non-Internet anonymous, relationships but we can only go by your posts of disgust here.

When you are gone you won't be missed. It's all rather pointless if you ask me. If you are lucky, you will find some real purpose in life beyond the need to make others feel bad about themselves. It doesn't work you know, but I suppose there is no point in telling you that either.

I am quite open to any formal feedback...and yes, I did consider what you have said...do i let this bother me more than i should, i sure do...but why can't we have a conversation about things like the traffic on 77...how about the dead animals not getting cleaned up...how about all of the urban sprawl...can we be concerned our teachers are not getting paid well? how about talk about the HS drop out rate, crime, obsesity, lack of heath care access, or the homeless on our streets...honestly, I made it my mission the past few days to try to get a different point of view out there and was met with "shut up or leave" or something on the lines of "you northeast yankees" or "we don't want no damn nanny state." Why can't we talk social issues without all the other junk? I would be more than happy to have a serious conversation about it...but i am a yankee and of course if you call me one i will fight you on it...and i wont stop until this place bans me or i get bored...because i believe in social equality...not god and my gun dont tread on me junk...it does't work all that well.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,238,698 times
Quote:
Lets Clear Things Up:

New England consists of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. New England has a large number of small towns and 3 of the states tops the top 5 list of most forested states. New York and New Jersey is not in New England. With that being said, MOST of New York is Country and Farm Land and has the most farms per capita in the NATION. All of New England is not like Boston or New York City. You can quickly get out of those areas and find yourself lost in no man's land. New England is not MSNBC...NOT all of the people are bad drivers and nasty liberals. They drive slower in Vermont than in North Carolina. New Hampshire has very lax gunlaws and vote republican more than Maryland.

I am tired of hearing all the hatred toward Northeast Yankees...especially from people who probably have no clue what they are talking about and/or never visited the place.

A large number of Natives have seriously gotten themselves into a world of negativity. Everything is to blame on the Yankee. For example, urban sprawl, bad drivers, crime, bad schools, etc. Bottom line, here is an example of a backward person from NC who really has no clue...and if he and others especially in the capital would get their heads out of their orfices, NC could be some much better.

Referencing the first paragraph: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/us...tity.html?_r=1

How many of you have been called a Yankees or been treated poorly by a native? Do you ever remember being rude to a Southerner when home just because you did not agree with their religion or political party?

Don't take it so much to heart. So much of it is geography and none of us in the South were born during the Civil War. Heck, a lot of us aren't from the South past 100 years. I was born in Louisiana, live in Texas as a young kid and then grew up in Northern Ohio. What's ironic is that this Northern "influx" is just the opposite of what happened 70-100 years ago.

Back then, the South invaded the North. Why? To take advantage of those higher paying jobs. Heck any job over the agrarian South. Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and similar cities were BOOMING. Henry Ford doubled the average American wage and that, was that. Chicago and other cities North were invaded by southerners.

People go where the jobs are. Always have, always will. Right now I'll bet you there are some folks in South Dakota that are complaining of EVERYONE that is invading them due to the recent oil boom. Can't help that.

I even had a boss yell at me here a the top of his lungs, that if I were to try and find clients in Claxton Georgia, they would think, and I quote; "Another damn yankee from Atlanta"....no joke....I paused and basically told him, if he thought I was too painful to be around, I could leave and we could still be friends....he didn't like that...I left 5 months later.....turns out, he was wrong. The hospital down there was just fine with me and invited me back this past spring to help them with a project. No one gave off any bad vibes but, I've pretty much been here for a quarter of a century soooooo.....there's.....that.....

You just have to ignore it. Come to find out, his lineage is 100 years or less in Georgia as well. He's basically, a blow hard that no one likes. Even those from the South that worked in the same office. They, like I, was embarrassed for him.

Just shrug it off. Can't please everyone and everyone down here doesn't hate those from the North. They may, however, hate verbose and loud folks (like my ex Southern Boss) so be aware....just be yourself, be polite, use yes sir and yes ma'am, generously, hold doors open for people of ALL ages and ALL genders, SMILE even when you don't feel like it, let people over if they have to change lanes, beware of Southern women who start off a sentence of "how are ewwwwwwwwww?" (especially if you have a woman with you that is prettier than them) and know the difference between grits and rice and things will be fine.

I do have to say though that those from the South that visit the North are rarely, if ever treated poorly JUST because they were from the South so take some pride in that. Most up there find the accent charming and love to just hear it. Go figure.

It's a beautiful part of the country to live in and I'm quite privileged and thankful to be here. Your results may vary.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM

353 posts, read 605,880 times
Quote:
I am quite open to any formal feedback...and yes, I did consider what you have said...do i let this bother me more than i should, i sure do...but why can't we have a conversation about things like the traffic on 77...how about the dead animals not getting cleaned up...how about all of the urban sprawl...can we be concerned our teachers are not getting paid well? how about talk about the HS drop out rate, crime, obsesity, lack of heath care access, or the homeless on our streets...honestly, I made it my mission the past few days to try to get a different point of view out there and was met with "shut up or leave" or something on the lines of "you northeast yankees" or "we don't want no damn nanny state." Why can't we talk social issues without all the other junk? I would be more than happy to have a serious conversation about it...but i am a yankee and of course if you call me one i will fight you on it...and i wont stop until this place bans me or i get bored...because i believe in social equality...not god and my gun dont tread on me junk...it does't work all that well.

The problem is your broad generalizations, as though every single person in the south is the same. Besides that, you didn't come here with any appearance of have a discussion, you came here calling all of us names and telling us all about how inferior we are in all aspects of our lives. You've left no room for discussion, painting all with the same broad brush. And, honestly, the people and events you have described are so far removed from the world I live in that I almost believe you're making most of it all up.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:01 PM

[quote=Caleb Longstreet;36724409]

I do have to say though that those from the South that visit the North are rarely, if ever treated poorly JUST because they were from the South so take some pride in that. Most up there find the accent charming and love to just hear it. Go figure. [quote]

Agree. I would always want to talk the ear off someone from the south. I never thought to myself anything about the civil war, or why they live here, and wish them to leave...

One of the best things about NC to me are the wineries. We have one of those tour books and travel all over the state going to different places for tastings...I am like a kid and repeat the word muscadine muscadine...lol...the BBQ is pretty darn good but wouldn't eat it every day. As for the beer, GA has a few good breweries as well as Virginia. Western MA also has some great breweries...I have a tough time w/ the Charlotte IPA's as they are a bit too strong for me...

Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The problem is your broad generalizations, as though every single person in the south is the same. Besides that, you didn't come here with any appearance of have a discussion, you came here calling all of us names and telling us all about how inferior we are in all aspects of our lives. You've left no room for discussion, painting all with the same broad brush. And, honestly, the people and events you have described are so far removed from the world I live in that I almost believe you're making most of it all up.
I admit I threw a jab in there and I was wrong...my intention was to get experiences from other transplants when I asked "How many of you have been called a Yankees or been treated poorly by a native? Do you ever remember being rude to a Southerner when home just because you did not agree with their religion or political party?"

Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM

363 posts, read 445,667 times
[quote=TypicalSituation77;36724662][quote=Caleb Longstreet;36724409]

I do have to say though that those from the South that visit the North are rarely, if ever treated poorly JUST because they were from the South so take some pride in that. Most up there find the accent charming and love to just hear it. Go figure.
Quote:

Agree. I would always want to talk the ear off someone from the south. I never thought to myself anything about the civil war, or why they live here, and wish them to leave...

One of the best things about NC to me are the wineries. We have one of those tour books and travel all over the state going to different places for tastings...I am like a kid and repeat the word muscadine muscadine...lol...the BBQ is pretty darn good but wouldn't eat it every day. As for the beer, GA has a few good breweries as well as Virginia. Western MA also has some great breweries...I have a tough time w/ the Charlotte IPA's as they are a bit too strong for me...
Not a direct response to this post.. but I live in a condo uptown, and am a transplant. I feel you would have a much better time if you lived here (or in one of the adjoining neighborhoods). Nearly everyone I meet is from the northeast. I cant say I've had any of the problems you have, not to say they aren't real. :\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina