Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it's safe to say we all travel as far as we can get on our tractors.

Yee-haw.

Seriously, the OP is living in a pretty rural area. People in the Triange, Charlotte, Asheville, Triad, Wilmington area (in particular) are more likely to be people who have done a great deal of traveling outside NC.

People from rural areas travel, also. My grandmother, who lived in rural Nash County, never drove a car, and never traveled much until she was retirement age, really loved going to new places once she got over her anxiety about being far from home. So, if she did it, I'd imagine MANY others do as well.
That sounds like many women in that generation. People didn't travel far because they couldn't get there. The Wright Brothers flew the first plane during her lifetime. She made up for it when she could.

I gotta go. My plow done broke and I gotta find a man ta fix it.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Odd we never hear Midwest, Southwestern, Northwest, the heartland or the west coast or Alaskans or Hawiians saying that we all tell then to go home and they aren't wanted and blah blah blah.

I think some transplants from the North expect us to feel inferior and they want to explain to us why we are inferior and understand how great they are. No other region has so many vocal minorities. Except maybe Siutherners in CA

Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Odd we never hear Midwest, Southwestern, Northwest, the heartland or the west coast or Alaskans or Hawiians saying that we all tell then to go home and they aren't wanted and blah blah blah.

I think some transplants from the North expect us to feel inferior and they want to explain to us why we are inferior and understand how great they are. No other region has so many vocal minorities. Except maybe Siutherners in CA
Yeah, typically the "still fighting the Civil War" comment mostly comes up after an exchange such as this:

[Non-NC person] Wow, this state sure is backwards, and why don't you have good pizza, Wegman's, or snow-removal equipment {fill in the blank with your favorite}?!?! You need to do it the way we did where I come from!!!"

[NC person] Well, that's the way it is....if you hate it so much, why do you live here?"

[Non-NC Person] Why do you keep telling me to leave?! YOU PEOPLE ARE STILL FIGHTING THE CIVIL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He who attacks first in such an altercation is actually the one 'fighting' some kind of divisive "war".

In 50 years living here, among more Northerners than Southerners, I have NEVER heard a native just bring up something about the Civil War, ever. But I do hear plenty of non-natives make comments like "maybe we should have just let the South secede." (not always talking about NC specifically, but....they are the ones obsessed with the Mason-Dixon Line).

Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,517 times
lol

Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM

353 posts, read 604,464 times
Yes, it's like the OP settled in the middle of Mexico and is taken aback that EVERYONE SPEAKS SPANISH!!!!

When you live in rural areas, you live among rural people with rural ideas. It's not just a "Southern thing", it's a universal thing. I'll never forget how shocked I was when I traveled to rural Maine and met my ex's family. It was like everyone up there lived in a bubble, and they knew next to nothing about anything outside their little world. (Questions like "You don't have Thanksgiving in North Carolina, do you?" were pretty typical).
Oddly enough, though, I didn't leave Maine with the notion that every person in the state was as backwards as these folks. I just assumed that they were like all the other rural folks I've met - in NC, SC, California, Florida, Virginia, and Ecuador.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM

118 posts, read 185,363 times
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog80 View Post
It may not be as backwards as the deep south, but its still prevalent.

I agree with you 110%. Unfortunately, the native NC people seriously do not understand how ignorant their way of thinking is. They prefer road kill (dogs, cats) to rot on the side of the highway because if the town were to take care of it, it symbolizes a "northeastern" nanny state. North Carolina and from what I have seen SC has little to no social programs. It is proven day in and day out through the media...they have some of the worse healthcare, obesity rates, school dropouts, wages, ability for increasing their own prosperity, lack of local fresh vegetables vs. other states, higher crime rates....etc....you name it they are usually in the bottom ten of most lists...but they just blame it on the Northeast Yankees for writing the articles...They don't want no damn northern way of living...they claim they were better off before we came and will be better if we all left...

Your damn right they still fight the civil war because I was told directly by someone "we should have beat you in the civil war." Their confederate flag symbolizes intolerance and bigotry, but they say its representative of their upstanding heritage. They claim to be holy and spend hours each week reading the bible which teaches them to treat others as you would treat yourself, yet treat anyone from the north like a third class citizens; or as I like to say, as they treat their citizen black people. They are jealous...they hate the new house I live in, that I make over 6 figures a year that I drive a new car...

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that the IQ in the south is scientifically proven to be lower than in the north. Second, their religion clouds their way of thinking which in of itself is backwards and not progressive. They think it is ok for their chaplain to buy a 3 million dollar house, and justify it by saying it’s from the book sales...but it’s a conflict of interest because the books are sold during the course of providing the tax free sermon...you can’t win with these people because they do not get it...or should I say do not want to get it...and never will get it...their whole idea that northerners are rude, fast talking, and from high tax states, that we fled here to get away...IS WRONG! It's just warmer here...WE complain because we realize how so backwoods you are...and yes, they wish they had won the civil war...imagine how our country would be today!

Northerners have always been socially progressive...to them is is a symbol again of a nanny state...well, why do the nanny states have some of the healthiest, highest, paid, least crime ridden, and higher educated cities?????? Must be the liberals again...the ones we should have beat in the civil war for slavery.

What I don't get though is I that I see how urban sprawl is out of control, how some of the social issues that really could be fixed here quickly...but even though I agree, they don't want to hear it from me...we are just northern Yankees and they should have beat in the civil war, and well we should just shut up and go home.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog80 View Post
Yes its actually a fact. Why are you getting bent out of shape?
Says who? As a psychotherapist, I have to help you to understand something. Your feelings are not facts. Just to be clear.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
I could go on and on but the bottom line is that the IQ in the south is scientifically proven to be lower than in the north.
HA!

You know Raleigh was just named the #2 most educated city in the US and Durham was named the #3 most educated city. #1 was that Midwestern enclave, Ann Arbor.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 PM

118 posts, read 185,363 times
Default wrong again - southerners just dont get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
HA!

You know Raleigh was just named the #2 most educated city in the US and Durham was named the #3 most educated city. #1 was that Midwestern enclave, Ann Arbor.
OMG - where did you learn how to read statistics? Highest education per capita of people living within the area...MOST of whom moved from OUT OF STATE to work in pharma...

If you look at the test grades of students across the country NC is one of the lowest...they also have one of the lowest HS graduation rates.

Highest academic achievement = north of the mason dixon line...
Business Leaders Think These Are The Best States For Education

Old 10-02-2014, 12:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
I agree with you 110%. Unfortunately, the native NC people seriously do not understand how ignorant their way of thinking is. They prefer road kill (dogs, cats) to rot on the side of the highway because if the town were to take care of it, it symbolizes a "northeastern" nanny state. North Carolina and from what I have seen SC has little to no social programs. It is proven day in and day out through the media...they have some of the worse healthcare, obesity rates, school dropouts, wages, ability for increasing their own prosperity, lack of local fresh vegetables vs. other states, higher crime rates....etc....you name it they are usually in the bottom ten of most lists...but they just blame it on the Northeast Yankees for writing the articles...They don't want no damn northern way of living...they claim they were better off before we came and will be better if we all left...

Your damn right they still fight the civil war because I was told directly by someone "we should have beat you in the civil war." Their confederate flag symbolizes intolerance and bigotry, but they say its representative of their upstanding heritage. They claim to be holy and spend hours each week reading the bible which teaches them to treat others as you would treat yourself, yet treat anyone from the north like a third class citizens; or as I like to say, as they treat their citizen black people. They are jealous...they hate the new house I live in, that I make over 6 figures a year that I drive a new car...

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that the IQ in the south is scientifically proven to be lower than in the north. Second, their religion clouds their way of thinking which in of itself is backwards and not progressive. They think it is ok for their chaplain to buy a 3 million dollar house, and justify it by saying it’s from the book sales...but it’s a conflict of interest because the books are sold during the course of providing the tax free sermon...you can’t win with these people because they do not get it...or should I say do not want to get it...and never will get it...their whole idea that northerners are rude, fast talking, and from high tax states, that we fled here to get away...IS WRONG! It's just warmer here...WE complain because we realize how so backwoods you are...and yes, they wish they had won the civil war...imagine how our country would be today!

Northerners have always been socially progressive...to them is is a symbol again of a nanny state...well, why do the nanny states have some of the healthiest, highest, paid, least crime ridden, and higher educated cities?????? Must be the liberals again...the ones we should have beat in the civil war for slavery.

What I don't get though is I that I see how urban sprawl is out of control, how some of the social issues that really could be fixed here quickly...but even though I agree, they don't want to hear it from me...we are just northern Yankees and they should have beat in the civil war, and well we should just shut up and go home.
Good lord, you just don't quit. I'm a transplant & I've told you that you're out of line. You're living in a county that is redder than red. NC natives warn against Lincolnton on the Charlotte board. You bought in the wrong place. You are projecting it to the whole state.

I've been to Lincolnton. As advertised by natives, the folks aren't sociable or welcoming. I treat people in a pleasant manner & don't talk down to them. Nobody mentioned the Civil War to me. the only times that I've heard NC natives bring up the Civil War was to blame SC for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina