Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
I forgot about Publix. The only time I went in one was this past summer at the beach and I was very impressed. My wife thinks that they are expensive, so she mainly shops at Target, and gets the other stuff from Harris Teeter.

I like Ingles (went there in Asheville) but don't know if they will ever come here or not. Unlikely due to the competition.
I doubt that Ingles will go to the Triangle, but you never know. However, they have cut into Food Lion and Harris Teeter. I don't know if Food Lion will completely fold. I do think that they're more likely to morph into something else, and possibly be consolidated with one of the Ahold Delhaize Giant chains. It remains to be seen. The funny part is that they can do decent stores. They had moved into the DC and Baltimore markets, up to southern Delaware. They operated respectable stores there, but were forced to close them when the merger was done.

Just the same, this thread is about Wegmans. They've been operating stores in the MidAtlantic for over 10 years. They don't have to make major changes to operate in North Carolina. It would be lovely if they brought Habbersett or Hatfield scrapple to their stores here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Wegmans says it plans to open its next store in the Triangle this summer in west Cary, and the grocer has already begun hiring hundreds of employees to staff the store.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:12 PM

Popular grocery chain Wegmans is planning to build a large distribution center in Virginia as it continues its growth in the region.

Wegmans Food Markets paid $4M for a 221-acre property in Hanover County, where it plans to build a $175M, 1M SF distribution center, according to a release from Coldwell Banker Commercial, which represented the supermarket in the deal.

The vacant land sits at the intersection of Sliding Hill Road and Ashcake Road in Ashland, Virginia, less than 2 miles off of I-95. It is roughly 10 miles north of Richmond, and about 100 miles south of D.C.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...-center-109846

Old 08-17-2021, 08:17 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,351,784 times
I hope the new distribution center will allow Wegmans to expand down to Charlotte as speculated. But frankly I am very satisfied with Publix and Harris Teeter. And the upgraded Food Lion stores are convenient and decent and I really enjoy their fried chicken. And Publix also has good fried chicken. What about Wegmans? I can't remember if they offer fresh fried chicken.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I hope the new distribution center will allow Wegmans to expand down to Charlotte as speculated. But frankly I am very satisfied with Publix and Harris Teeter. And the upgraded Food Lion stores are convenient and decent and I really enjoy their fried chicken. And Publix also has good fried chicken. What about Wegmans? I can't remember if they offer fresh fried chicken.
Wegmans in Wake Forest is very nice and looks huge on its site next to US1.

Inside it seems smaller and it's a specialty store to me.

they have like a hundred different flavors of hummus, and about 50 different flavors of sauerkraut.

Wonderful charcuterie counter and display, and lots of wines.

But it doens't seem like a well-rounded grocery store to me, more like a Trader Joes kind of.

Ultra cheap staples to lure people in, all in all it seemed foreign to me as a Southerner but I am still impressed and hope they do well.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:25 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Wegmans in Wake Forest is very nice and looks huge on its site next to US1.

Inside it seems smaller and it's a specialty store to me.

they have like a hundred different flavors of hummus, and about 50 different flavors of sauerkraut.

Wonderful charcuterie counter and display, and lots of wines.

But it doens't seem like a well-rounded grocery store to me, more like a Trader Joes kind of.

Ultra cheap staples to lure people in, all in all it seemed foreign to me as a Southerner but I am still impressed and hope they do well.
I know what you mean about Trader Joe's not being a well-rounded grocery store, but I don't agree that Wegmans isn't...There is a ton of selection for every product you'd find at any other store. They have all your standard brands of pastas, rice, cereals, sauces and condiments, cooking oils, meats, veggies, sodas/juices, snacks, boxed dinners, frozen meals and veggies, etc. In addition to those standard national brands, they have some higher end ones- including fresh pasta which is real nice, and a nice selection of high quality olive oils. Did you go through the whole store?

Old 08-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Wegman's is a very comprehensive grocer, about as comprehensive as it gets. What is missing?

Old 08-19-2021, 01:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Wegman's is a very comprehensive grocer, about as comprehensive as it gets. What is missing?
They've got it all, and the volume of customers supports that.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:02 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Oh it well, and more than one store will be built.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:31 AM

And now to Charlotte!

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/04/15/wegm...eF3y-r3WbH-B9U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina