Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,165,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Oh good heaven, there's not much difference from a 3 hour and change drive from Charlotte or a 4 hour and change drive from Raleigh to Charleston. The Charlotte route I've done plenty when I lived in Charlotte: I77 and I26 are likely to have plenty of traffic all the way to Charleston--during the holidays plus construction expect to spend more than 5 hours in traffic. The Raleigh to Charleston route is mostly I95 and 80+ MPH all the way just watch out for those SC cops. They love to ticket NC drivers.
They love to ticket any drivers not from SC.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Being I grew up in the Wilmington area, I go to Wrightsville Beach. For one, I can visit my family members.
I do not care much for Myrtle Beach.

But I go to the mountains here, more that the beach. I love the NC mountains.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head, and Savannah are all within a 3-4 hr drive of Charlotte.
2 hours less drive to Savannah and Charleston round trip... in exchange for a 2 hour longer drive to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington round trip, and a 6+hour longer drive to the Outer Banks and VA Beach round trip.

If you absolutely love Charleston and Savannah, and need to go there frequently, and don't care about those other things, then yeah it's a good trade. I don't particularly feel like there's something in Charleston or Savannah that I'm hugely missing out on in Wilmington. Going from a 6 hour round trip to a 4 hour round trip for a smaller but similarly vibrant city with better beaches is a trade I would make, even without the other stuff thrown in, but that's me.

But as I said before, I like mountains more anyway, and Charlotte's closer to those. Ultimately these things don't matter THAT much.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
2 hours less drive to Savannah and Charleston round trip... in exchange for a 2 hour longer drive to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington round trip, and a 6+hour longer drive to the Outer Banks and VA Beach round trip.

If you absolutely love Charleston and Savannah, and need to go there frequently, and don't care about those other things, then yeah it's a good trade. I don't particularly feel like there's something in Charleston or Savannah that I'm hugely missing out on in Wilmington. Going from a 6 hour round trip to a 4 hour round trip for a smaller but similarly vibrant city with better beaches is a trade I would make, even without the other stuff thrown in, but that's me.

But as I said before, I like mountains more anyway, and Charlotte's closer to those. Ultimately these things don't matter THAT much.

That’s completely different than saying SC is full of dumb white hicks and an embarrassment to be associated with...

I, for example, don’t like Asheville. Completely different than me saying it’s an Appalachian hillbilly town

The entire point is SC is a nice state with beautiful cities.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post

You're right; that's why architect_77's attempt to disparage Charlotte simply because it is located further south than Raleigh was asinine. Neither Charlotte or Raleigh are at some kind of disadvantage based on the next closest state.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM

The Triangle food scene is on fire...

New restaurants, food halls, coming to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill | News & Observer

Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post

Nice article with a good progress pic of the new tower in Durham. Though it did eventually get boring when listing out the new restaurants.

Wish there were more recent pics of Durham. Curious how it fits in.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM

459 posts, read 373,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post

North Carolina once again represented by Asheville and the Triangle at the 2018 James Beard Award Semifinalists published today.

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-...-semifinalists

From North Carolina:

Best New Restaurant: Brewery Bhavana, Raleigh, NC

Outstanding Baker: David Bauer, Farm & Sparrow, Asheville, NC

Outstanding Chef: Ashley Christensen, Poole’s Diner, Raleigh, NC

Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional: Leah Wong Ashburn, Highland Brewing Co. Asheville, NC

Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional: Sean Lilly Wilson, Fullsteam Brewery, Durham, NC

Rising Star Chef of the Year: Gabe Barker, Pizzeria Mercato, Carrboro, NC

Best Chef: Southeast:

1) Katie Button, Nightbell, Asheville, NC

2) Vivian Howard, Chef & The Farmer, Kinston, NC

3) Meherwan Irani, Chai Pani, Asheville, NC

4) Sam Jones, Sam Jones BBQ, Winterville, NC

5) Joe Kindred, Kindred, Davidson, NC

6) Cheetie Kumar, Garland, Raleigh, NC

That being said, hats off to Charleston, SC, the Gem of the South. Its accolades are too numerous to list here.

*Edit* Also a damn shame Boulted Bread, Raleigh, NC is not listed here. Probably one of the best bakeries in the US. In-house milled heirloom grains and one of the best examples of croissants in the world. I suspect once they move operations to the Transfer Company - Olde East Food Hall they will start to receive recognition.

Last edited by raleighsocial; 02-15-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
North Carolina once again represented by Asheville and the Triangle at the 2018 James Beard Award Semifinalists published today.

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-...-semifinalists

From North Carolina:

Best New Restaurant: Brewery Bhavana, Raleigh, NC

Outstanding Baker: David Bauer, Farm & Sparrow, Asheville, NC

Outstanding Chef: Ashley Christensen, Poole’s Diner, Raleigh, NC

Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional: Leah Wong Ashburn, Highland Brewing Co. Asheville, NC

Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional: Sean Lilly Wilson, Fullsteam Brewery, Durham, NC

Rising Star Chef of the Year: Gabe Barker, Pizzeria Mercato, Carrboro, NC

Best Chef: Southeast:

1) Katie Button, Nightbell, Asheville, NC

2) Vivian Howard, Chef & The Farmer, Kinston, NC

3) Meherwan Irani, Chai Pani, Asheville, NC

4) Sam Jones, Sam Jones BBQ, Winterville, NC

5) Joe Kindred, Kindred, Davidson, NC

6) Cheetie Kumar, Garland, Raleigh, NC

That being said, hats off to Charleston, SC, the Gem of the South. Its accolades are too numerous to list here.

*Edit* Also a damn shame Boulted Bread, Raleigh, NC is not listed here. Probably one of the best bakeries in the US. In-house milled heirloom grains and one of the best examples of croissants in the world. I suspect once they move operations to the Transfer Company - Olde East Food Hall they will start to receive recognition.
Agreed on Boulted Bread. I sometimes stop there after i get my haircut at Men at Work. Man you talk about a neighborhood that is transforming. Holy crap.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Agreed on Boulted Bread. I sometimes stop there after i get my haircut at Men at Work. Man you talk about a neighborhood that is transforming. Holy crap.
I go there as well to get a haircut. Who normally cuts your hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina