Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I didn't say that NoVa people considered Raleigh Mid-Atlantic.

I said that's what the newcomers from the Northeast think about Raleigh. And this forum has plenty of threads in the Triangle sections confirming the sentiment.

If you are boasting about NC with all of your desk stuff, then their responses likely are more of a response to the interaction with you.

Some people could use their NC native status as some sort of credential that makes them hot sh8t like they're better, or broadcast it like everyone in the country is supposed to swoon.

Or you could be like me, and educate all my co-workers of its fabulousness in a respectful, humble, great admiration way.

If you're trying to sell NC like everyone does with Charlotte, that isn't the way to achieve cool-dem, it has to be much more subtle like you're not trying.

I know you're young, but NC has a very proud history for 200 years before these bathroom bill idiots took over. Anyone with any intelligence would have had some knowledge or opinion about the state before this past decade.

And NC is at heart, small town with small town mentalities. Gay people like me aren't in big enough numbers in small towns to be noticed or make our voices heard.

So the hundreds of small towns and cities all the way up to Charlotte still aren't forced to confront that aspect of the full package of "The facts of Life"

So it that small town atmosphere and Franklin Graham hating on us that makes NC one of the last bastions of homophobia.

Duke apparel is one of the most used on television and in movies outside the true Ivy League.

But during the 1993 March on Washington, cities and states held up signs showing the area they were representing and NC had the best designed sign in the entire country. While LA just had big He lvetica letters reading LOS ANGELES, NC had NORTH over top CAROLINA and the red aids ribbon served as the O in North and the A in Carolina.

Always a very progressive state prior to the changeover in the legislature.

Omg. I can’t read all this stuff. Just leave it alone. North Carolina is nowhere near as great of a state you make it out to be. It’s personally my top 7 and the one I love the most but Geez. It’s not the center of the universe you think it is. Just enjoy it for yourself and stop worrying what others perceive of it. Geez.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As someone who now lives in NoVA, I would say that it’s not so much that Northern Virginians look down on North Carolina, it’s just that the two areas are so very culturally different. Mid-Atlantic identity has superseded and almost killed off any remnants of southern identity here. Yes, people recoil at any insinuation NoVA has any southern inclinations, but largely because southernness is so very faint here now. North Carolina actually had a pretty good reputation in the DMV, until republicans took over state government. The DMV has become very culturally and politically progressive, and the disdain toward NC is directly traced to its rightwing state legislature and cultural conservatism.

Also, gay Rights are viewed by many as a huge barometer as the indicator of whether a place is culturally modern and developed, and in that matter, NC is prominently backwater. There is a widespread national perception that NC is a very bigoted state, thanks to the events of this decade. A lot of people ask me about the persecution of lgbt people in NC when I mention where I am
From.
And the interesting thing is that NoVA is viewed as the "cultural backwater" of sorts of the DMV, particularly among Black folks. It's quite an interesting dynamic compared to the rest of the Southeast where VA is viewed as being more progressive than the rest of the region.

But Charlotte and the Triangle are certainly on the radar for people in the DMV who are looking to relocate, that's for sure. As with other places, a lot of people are able to distinguish between those cities and their state government.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I explained fully that the sentiment on this forum for years has been that Charlotte is more sophisticated than the rest of the state, and references are made all the time to Raleigh and areas East are hillbillies, which I actually think the opposite is true and Western NC and proximity to Appalachia puts a dent in Charlotte's tastes and sophistication. There is more to cosmopolitan fabulous-ness than erecting tall towers.
But eastern NC and proximity to the poor rural counties in that part of the state have no effect on Raleigh? Oh ok.

Quote:
I take the desire to have every major league team named specifically to Charlotte as another example of disassociation with NC, like the foolhardy Charlotte USA campaign, especially since the name Charlotte gets confused with other towns like Charlottesville and one up in New England.
This is so dumb that it's not even worthy of a serious response.

Quote:
And I shouldn't have wasted time responding. Anyone reading this thread knows what I'm talking about because of the comments added when they give me rep points.
Well if it's rep points you're after, go to the Politics forum and spew a bunch of pro-Trump rhetoric. That should give you the self-esteem boost you seemingly desire.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
While I grew up in the Charlotte area and love it, some people in DMV do distinguish between Raleigh and Charlotte. I have noticed some people here have a more favorable view of Raleigh-Durham than Charlotte and the rest of the state. Yes, some view it as more of an “East Coast” or Mid Atlantic Area than Charlotte. I’m not debating whether they are accurate; only reporting observations. I have also noticed that Millennials and hipsters inquire a lot about moving to Durham or Raleigh, but not so much about Charlotte or the Triad. They want to know if the Triangle is progressive, but seem very disappointed when I tell them it’s very suburban and lacks good public transportation. Of course, Raleigh-Durham is significantly closer to DC, which makes it seem much less exotic to people in the DMV. Our weather forecasters even include Raleigh in their regional weather maps’ current conditions, whereas Charlotte is rarely mentioned.

However, I have noticed that African Americans are more interested and favorable toward Charlotte here.
As a former DMV resident, I pretty much agree with you here. It makes sense being that the DMV and the Triangle are both very white-collar, highly-educated metros with similar industries. Charlotte isn't too dissimilar but it's more corporate and farther away. And yes, Black folks in the DMV tend to lean more towards Charlotte. The CIAA tournament in particular really helped put Charlotte on the map among Black folks from the DMV.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
The microbrewery scene could be coming to Goldsboro, pending ordinance amendments by the city’s planning department and final approval by the city council during it’s July 15 meeting.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/micro...52171019d.html

Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
BB&T Call Park Charlotte

Photo by Himsp0

Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Northwood Ravin will develop 354 apartments and 8,500 square feet of ground-floor retail on the site of the the former Polk building, a development called 500 West Trade. Similar in structure to its 550 Uptown at Stonewall project, Northwood Ravin will split units between a seven-story midrise and a 14-story tower.

Apartments have been long planned for the site, which until demolition a few months ago was home to the 1920s-era James K. Polk building as well as surface parking. In 2008, Crosland and Trinity Capital Advisors sought to build 400 apartments and retail shops on that site, but those plans were shelved when the recession hit. Crosland in 2011 sold its apartment development and construction units to Northwood Ravin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
North Carolina development thread.-img_0674.jpg

https://www.visitdowntownsouth.com/

This would be awesome! With Mr Kane's name attached to this project. I'd say it's in the bag.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Attachment 212175

https://www.visitdowntownsouth.com/

This would be awesome! With Mr Kane's name attached to this project. I'd say it's in the bag.
Sure hope so! This would be a game changer. What a transformation for a currently useless chunk of the city. Happy to see the stadium designs didn't change much from the proposal in 2017.

Article from the techwire. https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/06...th-1-9b-malik/

Old 06-25-2019, 06:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Crabtree is afraid of becoming the old North Hills.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...velopment.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina