Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times

Advertisements

dear nc, you want me to pay for property tax on my car??? my car is paid for!! leave me alone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
North Carolina has higher taxes than Massachusetts. I'm dead serious. They mentioned that on the local news a few months ago when doing a special on how the taxes in this area are rising because of the influx. NC is the 28th highest taxed state while MA is 32nd. Maine has the highest taxes and New Hampshire and Alaska are tied for the lowest.
I can definitely tell you NOT property tax wise. Yes sales taxe s are higher, but proerty taxes are more than half that in NC compared to MA.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
It's the high income tax that ticks me off. 7% income tax. Thats the same as those in NY and it's much higher than the 5% in MA. All I can say is, I remember feeling the exact same way you did when I first moved down 11 years ago. It wears off, especially after the first couple years (or the first summer for some) for most people. You may not be at the point where you want to move away, but you most likely won't be as enthusiastic about living here as you are right now.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-04-2006 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
It's the high income tax that ticks me off. 7% income tax. Thats the same as those in NY and it's much higher than the 5% in MA
Yes, the income tax is higher, but there are SOOOOOOOO many hidden taxes here in MA. They call them tolls, fees, permits, etc. It doesn't matter what it's called, it's a TAX on my money. Not directing it at you, just ticked off also.

Incidentally I don't *mind* paying taxes if I feel like I'm getting something for it. I look out and see my tax dollars NOT at work. Anyway don't want to derail this thread

Old 06-04-2006, 05:34 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Congratulations on getting here. I hope that you enjoy your new home.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
How tax-friendly is your state?

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

The national average is 10.10%.

North Carolina is 10.00%

Old 06-04-2006, 06:26 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Well, WE DID IT!!!

We have been in Mebane, NC for nearly a week now, and, aside from the usual unpacking and adjusting to a new house blues, we are really "into" where we are!

The drive with both cars, two cats and our "auxilliary stuff" took 16 hours: left Westford, Mass. at 7 AM last Sunday and arrived at the new hacienda at 11 PM. We had a problem with our trailer hitch that made us stop in NJ but -- once we realised that if we properly addressed the problem it would require us (and our cats) to be stranded in Jersey for DAYS, we decided to nurse the car and trailer on to NC -- and we arrived none the worse for wear!

I will make a recommendation to those of you who have never made a REALLY long-distance move before: If it ain't an HEIRLOOM or worth a TON of money -- GET RID OF IT -- NOW!!! We spent $7300.00 moving from Massachusetts. That's a LOT of stuff.

How's the weather, you ask? Today is the second of two picture-perfect days here in the Piedmont region. around 80 or so max with low humidity. Last week was in the 90s with higher humidity. I don't know about you, but I welcomed all of it -- especially in light of the fact that Mass. has been rainy ad inthe 50's this past week. I will take 100 degrees to that.

For those of you who put bird feeders out, it is very active here now. Lots of the "usual suspects" (downy woodpeckers, chickadees, titmice) with additional members: Carolina wrens, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Brown Thrashers, etc.

We are loving it so far!

Steve

That's great! That will be us in a few months. I don't want to take anything I agree with you. It's not worth it. Enjoy! Check back in with us and tell us how it's going.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:39 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
I remember feeling the exact same way you did when I first moved down 11 years ago. It wears off, especially after the first couple years (or the first summer for some) for most people. You may not be at the point where you want to move away, but you most likely won't be as enthusiastic about living here as you are right now.
What do you gain from this?
Can't you just let them enjoy the moment.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
How tax-friendly is your state?

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

The national average is 10.10%.

North Carolina is 10.00%
Thanks for this link. I followed the source data link in the cnn.com link. I went to the source data the Tax Foundation web-site. The "State and Local Tax Collections Per Capita" paints a different story in that MA is much higher overall than NC (although seems like if you want low taxes New Mexico is the place to be )

Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Thanks for this link. I followed the source data link in the cnn.com link. I went to the source data the Tax Foundation web-site. The "State and Local Tax Collections Per Capita" paints a different story in that MA is much higher overall than NC (although seems like if you want low taxes New Mexico is the place to be )
I'm satisfied with living in a state that is only average in the tax dept. I can't complain about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina