Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 22,798 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
Although my feelings here about moving to NC are purely in the early stages considering I haven't been there in almost 10 years, I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone regarding my situation..
Im 25 yrs old working as a graphic designer (with aspirations of gaining a higher position in the creative world of course) on Long Island, NY. I live with my 27 year old girlfriend who has her bachelor degree in Elementary education and is taking graduate courses for her Masters. It's extremely tough making it here on LI, as the cost of living is outrageous (we're renting an apartment, just moved in together earlier this year) and buying a house here for our generation is nearly impossible! Needless to say, my girlfriend, as talented and ambitious as she is, can't find a teaching job (only as a sub) anywhere on the island.
She would move to NC in a heartbeat if I agreed to it, and I dont want to be selfish here by not giving ourselves a fair chance to live our lives happily without having to grind it out and work several jobs just to slip by.
We're young and still like to go out and have fun, so I don't want to be stuck in a small town in the sticks.
Any suggestions/advice? It's all really appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 AM

363 posts, read 817,712 times
Try Charlotte and the suburbs (Matthews, Concord, Monroe, Indian Trail, Huntersville, Pineville, for example). Charlotte is a nice city where there is always something to do for a young couple.

As far as your girlfriend is concerned, have her look at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools website.
Home.

She should also look into teaching on the post secondary level as well. Try Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC).
Central Piedmont Community College — Central Piedmont Community College

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times
Yes, you really need to be in or near a city. The rural areas and small towns here are VERY rural in contrast to Long Island. I personally don't care for NC too much but I came here at 36yo with a husband and kids...I was a dyed in the wool New Englander,anti-religious and socially quite liberal,it was a no-brainer that I would not fit in here. That said, you guys might be real happy here. I hear you about the stress of trying to survive with the prices on LI. You will find a nice 1 bedroom apt here with pool and exercise room for well under $1,000. Check out craigslist and keep talking to the folks here on CD. NC is a biggish state with lots of choices for you. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
It appears that employment in the state's public school system just got harder based on this story published this morning in my local newspaper:

The state has ordered all North Carolina public and charter schools to freeze vacant positions, promotions, travel and new purchases as efforts to close budget shortfalls continue. A memo was sent to the state's 115 public schools and 97 charter schools Monday from the state's chief education officer, Bill Harrison, outlining the new spending rules, which officials hope will help save the state $159 million to meet payroll obligations and pay bills.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,989 times
Naturally they would say Charlotte.-_- Where did you go in N.C. ten yours agao?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM

363 posts, read 817,712 times
Default Hold Up!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Naturally they would say Charlotte.-_- Where did you go in N.C. ten yours agao?
Well let's see. I have my mother who was born and raised in Bethel who now lives in Robersonville (just came back last week from visiting her) my oldest daughter who attends ECU, my other two children who live in Matthews who I see on the regular and before Matthews, lived in Winston-Salem. Please note that just because I live in "The hood of Brooklyn" doesn't mean that I do not travel or have family in NC.

And no, it wasn't "ten yours agao."

Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM

"Although my feelings here about moving to NC are purely in the early stages considering I haven't been there in almost 10 years,".

Just trying to help.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage02 View Post
Hey everyone,
Although my feelings here about moving to NC are purely in the early stages considering I haven't been there in almost 10 years,
Just trying to help

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 22,798 times
thanks Raivere- Akrt2 wrote that..I greatly appreciate any feedback you gave me. Any other information regarding NC would be helpful. What advice can you offer about Raleigh of Charlotte ?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
I moved from LI to NC for college and never left. I realized that I would never be able to make it in LI without living with my parents. So I know how you feel. Anyway Charlotte is great, well Iactually live Indian Trail. As for your girlfriend, tell her to look into Union County Schools. Char-Meck is having major issues. Union Co. is a little more stable. I have friends that work for both.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina