Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,132 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think the world would be a much better place if we each had to spend a few months each year somewhere else in the world. This whole conversation would be funny if it were not just a bit sad. In Europe, I found some English who still dislike the French (years of wars between the two and some people just never get over it.) and while I visiting friends in Poland a few years ago, I found great dislike for the Germans and the Russians. Perhaps understandable as WWII was not that long ago and Russia held Poland for so long and forced their language on them. But really, like it or not we have become one world dependant on one another. It is time to put aside differences and be more accepting. That is what America is all about. Different cultures settled this country and we all are a part of the bigger picture. Come on y'all (am I saying that right??) take a deep breath and be just a bit kinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,708 times
Loire, I've spent time in Asia, the South, California and Canada and can't help but agree with you.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
I've never heard that story before.

I know that the other NY baseball team is called the Mets because it's easier to say and type than the Metropolitans (the official name).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,738,864 times
out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the north and northerners as ppl?
your opinion on the south is nothing like my opinion...which i will elaborate on tomorrow (getting sleepy and i have to go to work in the morning).

reading your post makes me think that you think the north is full of rude ppl who move (or visit) the south and bring their rudeness with them.

it also makes me think that you think that a lot/most/all?? ppl in the north don't have manners. you come off as someone with an us vs them mentality. it sounds like you have animosity for ppl from the north.

i kind of think that many ppl in the south have preconceived notions of the north based off of tv and what the north was like 20 years ago.

i promise you that we have manners, we're nice towards each other and ppl from out of town, we are not rude (overall) and we follow societal norms. lol @ this. i think that ppl from the south tend to focus too much on what ppl from the north think and do where as the reverse is not true at all. ppl from the north couldn't care less about this.

i do think its really weird for a person to call another person a yankee, though. and then not understand how a person could get offended by it.

i also have to agree with the person that said that ppl should get out more and visit other parts of this country and the world, if possible.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

I spent most of my life Up North and almost 2 years Down South. There were/are rude people as well as polite people in both areas.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,738,864 times
i've personally seen rude southern ppl take their aggression out on other southern ppl. i've seen ppl cut off ppl (driving), use their horn, curse, etc.

i've seen southern ppl that don't display the manners that i'm sure they've learned from home.

i've seen racism and experienced racism in the south.

i also think (based on this thread and others) ppl are throwing the term yankee around without ppl acting like "boorish asses." so its something you must use in everyday life and there must be some sort of reason why you would use the term and why you started using the term.

with that said, how would you feel if you had moved to the north and ppl threw the word country around when referring to you? or bamma? hick?

yankee is not really that friendly at all. not the way ppl use it. would you like to be described as country? a redneck? a bamma? in a friendly manner? oh ani? he/she's a redneck. haha we don't mean any harm. ani's country...you know ani. look at the way ani does things. so country.

like nobody wants to hear/see that. thats not welcome anywhere. i honestly don't hear or see ppl use dixie or rebel in the north at all. nobody cares about the civil war like that, to be honest (to the point where you see reminders of it everyday).
it just seems like yankee, yankeeland and the confederate flag are all indicators that some ppl have some things they have never gotten off of their chest.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Just some info on the North-----people in Maine, NH and Vermont are from "DownEast" (accordining to Canadians) and parts of Southern Pennsylvania are below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i've personally seen rude southern ppl take their aggression out on other southern ppl. i've seen ppl cut off ppl (driving), use their horn, curse, etc.

i've seen southern ppl that don't display the manners that i'm sure they've learned from home.

i've seen racism and experienced racism in the south.

i also think (based on this thread and others) ppl are throwing the term yankee around without ppl acting like "boorish asses." so its something you must use in everyday life and there must be some sort of reason why you would use the term and why you started using the term.

with that said, how would you feel if you had moved to the north and ppl threw the word country around when referring to you? or bamma? hick?

yankee is not really that friendly at all. not the way ppl use it. would you like to be described as country? a redneck? a bamma? in a friendly manner? oh ani? he/she's a redneck. haha we don't mean any harm. ani's country...you know ani. look at the way ani does things. so country.

like nobody wants to hear/see that. thats not welcome anywhere. i honestly don't hear or see ppl use dixie or rebel in the north at all. nobody cares about the civil war like that, to be honest (to the point where you see reminders of it everyday).
it just seems like yankee, yankeeland and the confederate flag are all indicators that some ppl have some things they have never gotten off of their chest.
EEK: Southerners get called rednecks, hillbillies, white trash, ignorant, etc. all the time. It is not PC to deride any other group of people - but whole comedic acts are devised on the premise that Southerners are hicks. We are very aware that is how we are portrayed. We know that there are all sorts of stereotypes about Southerners out there . . . just can't figure out why that concerns you, a New Yorker . . . ????

Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
EEK: Southerners get called rednecks, hillbillies, white trash, ignorant, etc. all the time. It is not PC to deride any other group of people - but whole comedic acts are devised on the premise that Southerners are hicks. We are very aware that is how we are portrayed.
Ani, I've used redneck, hillbillies and white trash (along with an other term I don't want to mention here) to describe a few Northeners I know. I didn't know these terms were just to be used for/by the South.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Ani, I've used redneck, hillbillies and white trash (along with an other term I don't want to mention here) to describe a few Northeners I know. I didn't know these terms were just to be used for/by the South.
I never thought much about it - figured people were people no matter where they are located - until I moved to the midwest and hardly a month went by when someone didn't ask me questions about such things as - trailers, inbreeding, guns, KKK, teenaged pregnancy, etc. These were sincere questions from people who had never met a Southerner (I only met one other Southerner the whole time I lived in Kansas City) but their only knowledge about the South had come from TV shows, comedy routines, etc. and they had very stereotyped impressions! Don't get me wrong - I loved living there - and it was kinda fun being the only person with an accent, even tho one of my clients told me that in that part of the country, a Southern accent was equated with "ignorance" as the closest thing to it was a Missouri accent that was only heard from white trash living "out in the boonies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina