Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:43 AM

149 posts, read 474,022 times

Advertisements

WOW! guess I am used to CA attitudes...didn't know it was still this way until I started talking to people in NE as well....have not ran into that so far with TX, but then again, have not talked to anyone in small rural areas...we are very live and let live people, but it would suck to be shunned..

Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
What's funny is that you can go to the TN forum, the OR forum, the AZ forum, and I could go on....and they all have threads about all those darn newcomers. The reality is that people are moving from everywhere to everywhere...may as well accept it!

I've found people in NC to be very friendly. I think the only times I've heard anything against Northerners is on this board, so either the North Carolinians I know are two-faced (which I don't believe is the case) or there are people on this board posting their own personal feelings which luckily don't reflect the greater NC population (which I believe is the case).

Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM

73 posts, read 82,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I think the only times I've heard anything against Northerners is on this board...
Where do you think that you, an outsider, are more likely to hear how Southerners really feel, on an anonymous message board or face to face? Trust me, Southerners gripe about Yankees all the time amongst ourselves. For example:

I was recently talking with an acquaintance from college. He is a well educated guy (UNC undergrad, Duke Law), he works for a large law firm, and at 30 years old he recently moved into a neighborhood where the homes start at $500k. In other words he isn't some backwoods hick. I asked my friend how he liked his new neighborhood and he told me that all of his neighbors were nice except for one couple whom he described as "typical, loud mouthed, self absorbed Yankees."

Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Yes, I considered that...but my point was that either the majority of North Carolinians are genuinely nice and not bothered by me (which I believe is the case), OR they are two faced liars. Are you suggesting they are two-faced liars then? I am sure there are North Carolinians who do not want "others" moving in, just Oregonians are flipping out about Californians moving in, etc....but those are the people who are wasting their energy and could actually enjoy some of the people they categorically reject. I don't know them, perhaps b/c they don't want to know me, or perhaps b/c I don't feel a pull toward negative people....so that just leaves the MANY friendly North Carolinians who again, I say, are genuinely friendly accepting people and NOT, as perhaps you suggest two faced liars.

Also...really....would you want people stereotyping you as a racist backwoods guy b/c you are from the South? That is exactly what you are doing (or your "friend") when you say that the "typical" Northerner is loud-mouthed and absorbed. There are some of those, just as there are some Southern racists, but I would not categorize an entire region of the country like that. Perhaps there are one or two loud mouthed people in his neighborhood who are from the North and he extrapolates that all Northerners are like this, when of course that's not true. I am sure there are plenty of loud mouthed Southerners as well. And plenty of Northern and Southern racists...let's not pigeon hole people like that...that's basically the basis off all racism (or in this case....geographical superiority complex (?!)

Old 05-17-2007, 01:32 PM

88 posts, read 375,875 times
I once spent 2 weeks at a conference in Philadelphia with a guy from Alabama who drank a six-pack of Miller Lite before he joined us for "a couple of drinks" in the bar. Usually, he had several more. He was slobbering drunk most of the time. He sweat constantly and his neck was, in fact, sunburned red. I certainly wouldn't suggest that all southerners are slobbering drunk rednecks that subsist on Miller Lite. Northerners are not all loud-mouthed, self-absorbed jerks either. I've met slobbering-drunk rednecks all over the north, and I've met pushy, obnoxious, loud-mouthed southerners. Stereotypes are just a convenient way to justify discrimination.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
Quote:
would you want people stereotyping you as a racist backwoods guy b/c you are from the South? ...the "typical" Northerner is loud-mouthed and absorbed.
Where do these stereotypes come from? Many native Carolinians that hold ill will toward newcomers are just venting. Their towns have changed forever due to rampant growth that their own elected government didn't control very well. Perhaps this is misplaced frustration...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
You will get no thanks from me after reading your post. I found it to be very self righteous and snobbish. You put it in words where you are looking to cause more conflict then extinguish one.
Do you think all of NC is in poverty?? That is a very immature statement on your part and then you EXPECT a thank you. Now who is attacking.

And to answer your question, I spend time up north and to be honest I dread every moment of it around people. I find them loud and abnoxious. BUT!!! I do not bash them and just accept it because I know I will be returning to a place I call home, NC.
Everyone has their version of home and different environments appeal to different people.
And with that I say have a nice day,
I see you can not handle it when someone speaks up and talks back. Did I say all of NC is in poverty? But yes from what I have seen, with the exception of Charlotte area, Raleigh area, Asheville area and Greensboro area it looks poverty stricken. I am not asking you to thank me. I am just sick of being talked about because I am a northerner. And exactly everyone has their version of home, so like I said people need to stop putting down the north! I will not apologize for sticking up for the place that I was born. So keep on giving me negative rep all because I fought back. PS negative reps are not to be used because you do not agree with me!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I see you can not handle it when someone speaks up and talks back....I am just sick of being talked about because I am a northerner....I will not apologize for sticking up for the place that I was born. So keep on giving me negative rep all because I fought back.
Here's the problem with your strategy; "fighting back" simply reinforces the stereotypes that you distain. A better approach would be to overcome those stereotypes by proving them wrong with your actions.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I considered that...but my point was that either the majority of North Carolinians are genuinely nice and not bothered by me (which I believe is the case), OR they are two faced liars.
I'm telling you point blank: People ARE talking about you behind your back. They're either saying "That Yankee was so rude. So typical." or they're saying "That Yankee was so nice. What a surprise." The choice is yours.

Quote:
Also...really....would you want people stereotyping you as a racist backwoods guy b/c you are from the South?
It's been going on for over 200 years. We're pretty used to it by now.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
NJrover,
Nothing against you, so please don't take this the wrong way.

It's great that you love where you're from and want to defend it. I've been the same away about NC. But you shouldn't have to defend where you're from by attacking someone else's home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina