Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 17,725 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to North Carolina after I graduate in May 2007, and was wondering if there is any drastic differences between Georgia and North Carolina? any different laws, any different things you have to pay for, anything like that, that I should be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM

60 posts, read 309,168 times
Hi there!

Could you be a bit more specific....were there certain things that you were thinking of?

Let us know, maybe we can help you!

Nicole

Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Not really I was just reading somewhere that there were more taxes then ive heard of.. but maybe thats just me and not knowing of property tax and vehicle tax.. I know you have to pay vehicle tax when you buy a vehicle but from what it sounded like you had to pay the tax monthly/yearly. Maybe im wrong? But basically all im trying to figure out is if there is anythign different in NC that there is in Georgia law-wise or tax-wise... Does that help you better understand my situation?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM

60 posts, read 309,168 times
Yes- we do pay taxes yearly on vehicles....

other than that, I'm not sure what other items you might be interested in knowing about......I haven't lived in Georgia, so that might be part of the problem...

Good Luck...maybe someone else can help!

Nicole

Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 28,339 times
Default Moving to NC

I don't think you will find a huge difference, depending on the area, property taxes can be the big variable.

I lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years. I am a Realtor.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM

I plan on moving to Relaigh or Wilmington...

Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 PM

What are the Vehicle taxes? or property taxes? are they different then in Georgia? if so, how much do you have to pay?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
There are taxes on your vehicle (based on the blue book value) and taxes on your home based on the tax rate for your county plus the tax rate if you are in the city. In wake county the tax rate for the county is .68 per 100 and the city can add its own tax rate (it varies, usually around 1.12, 1.14 per hundred).

If you look on the wake county government website www.wakegov.com you can get all of the property and vehicle tax rates.

Leigh

Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 AM

191 posts, read 1,001,849 times
I don't know about taxes in Georgia but I have in-laws that live in St Mary's Georgia (right by the border of Georgia and Fla) and there is nothing going on there. My sister and brother in-law are struggling to get jobs, the schools are just ok and there isn't much as far as shopping and entertainment unless you drive to Jacksonville which is about 30 min away.

I know NC (just about any part) is a great place to live. Great housing, job opportunities, good schools (most area's) I've lived in Charlotte before (now in Pgh) and now I'm heading to Concord nc ( 30 min or so north of Charlotte) and I can't wait.

I would say hands down that there will be more opportunities in NC then GA.

Good luck

Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the help, its greatly going to help my move in 9 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina