Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

[quote=silverwing][quote=Classyjerseylady]NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)
Quote:

So you want to move to a different state but ghetto yourself?

Wow. I'm sitting here just blinking.
LOL. That's pretty good. I want to be with "my people". I don't know where in NC you think you are going to find a "lilttle new york", but I can assure you, there ain't one! Try south florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
The more I read about this frenzy to get into NC, the more leary I become. Not because of NC, I lived in Winston Salem many years ago and have pleasant memories of NC. Still enjoy visits to NC, although the last one was over 6 years ago.

But this mass exodus from NJ, NY, CA, FL - what is this doing to the state? How are the municipalities handling this? What is the traffic like, and for that matter is it still the lovely laid-back South? Is intensity and road-rage an imported effect of all this? It sounds like it is very transient now.

I'm just watching and waiting. I was frustrated because we are several years away from making any changes, but now I'm thinking that the wait may be a GOOD thing.

(And as far as finding more NY - North NJ people? No thanks. They're NOT "my people." )

Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 AM

The issue you addressed it what I've been saying for a long time. All of these people are moving here in droves, specificaly from those 4 states you mentioned. They are all leaving their areas because it is too expensive and too crowded and all of that.... yet they are making NC the same way. Sheep on the field.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Sheep on the field.
A favorite author of mine states that "you know what you step in when you follow the herd?"

Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 AM

LOL. That's a very good analogy!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 AM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
I hate that everyone considering this move are sheep. I do agree that many seem to be following blindlym but that is definitely not the case for my family. My husband went to school down in the South and always planned to go back.

When we first got married nine years ago, he was offered a job in NC, we discussed it to great lengths at the time, but it wasn't the time for us. Now nine years and a growing family later, and many different factors, this is seriously something we are considering.

Also, my husband was right underneath the plane hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11. We were very fortunate that he was ok. This also brought things to the forefront again.

I was surprised when I found how so many others were considering this NC move.

We just got back from a trip to Union County yesterday. We last went in January (to get a feel for the different seasons in this area). We stayed in Charlotte and looked around. This was our second visit to this particular area. We have done a ton of research, but nothing compares to actually being there and seeing the schools firsthand. Driving around the actual area you will be living in. Going into the stores you will be shopping in. Eat in the restaurants you will frequent. Have your little ones play in the parks that you will go to daily. Etc.

I actually found that we are going to hold off with any move at this point. Reading the forums, I thought that Union County was so overcrowded, tons of construction, shopping plazas ruining the landscape, etc. What I found was nothing like I imagined. Nothing like the road construction from the influx of people to my small town in NJ. Nothing like the overcrowding and traffic we have had to deal with on a daily basis.

If anything, I was still amazed that it's so very rural. I need to see how the town plans are going to carry out. Some of the communities built in the last two years were not being maintained very well, this was shocking to me.

I still love, love, love the area overall, but I need to see that they are on track with building the schools, and other construction they have planned.

At this point, I see this area as having the potential to be exactly where I want to be, or just becoming overrun. It's too soon to tell for me. There is a lot of plans in the works, but we all know what happens to the best laid plans.

So right now, I'm continuing to keep a close eye on the area, but am not rushing down next week. I'm giving myself a little more time to see how things pan out. My oldest child does not start kindergarten for another two years, so fortunately for me, we have time. And we gave ourselves enough time, knowing this is something we wanted to do for years.

This is just my experience and view. We will visit again to see if this is the best for our family.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
I followed no one to move here. I saw NC as a teenager and ever since FL has never compared, and my wife spent many years of her childhood in western NC. Now that I'm grown and have a family I want to love where I live, so I can instill that pride in my sons. My parents never took pride in where they lived or the neighborhood I grew up in, it was just..... where we lived, no big deal.
I guess NC, SC, and TN are all experiening booms from transplants like me but I never gave it much thought til I got here and realized half of Charlotte is transplants as well, and found boards like this.
But migration is how this wide country got populated like it is, and urban migration is a persistant reality. Everything comes full circle though, just gotta roll with the changes. I could be bitter about FL being overrun with seniors who drive under the speed limit and whine about paying taxes for schools when they have no kids but I wasn't- I just left. I didnt even benefit from the real estate boom because I wasn't a homeowner. Many of my family didn't realize the extent of the housing problem in central FL because they had already bought years ago so they were ignorant of how ridiculous its gotten. But they saw their son and grandkids move 600 miles away for that reason and it made it more real to them I guess.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
Yes Union County is very nice, just expect a lot of growth in the future. The good part is that the people who move to Union County are probably the people who will take pride in it, and the people you never want to live around will probably never be able to afford to move out there (like inner city charlotteans) Its the kind of growth that pisses off the locals cus they feel like they are losing their oasis but thats how life goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16
We just got back from a trip to Union County yesterday. We last went in January (to get a feel for the different seasons in this area). We stayed in Charlotte and looked around. This was our second visit to this particular area. We have done a ton of research, but nothing compares to actually being there and seeing the schools firsthand. Driving around the actual area you will be living in. Going into the stores you will be shopping in. Eat in the restaurants you will frequent. Have your little ones play in the parks that you will go to daily. Etc.

I actually found that we are going to hold off with any move at this point. Reading the forums, I thought that Union County was so overcrowded, tons of construction, shopping plazas ruining the landscape, etc. What I found was nothing like I imagined. Nothing like the road construction from the influx of people to my small town in NJ. Nothing like the overcrowding and traffic we have had to deal with on a daily basis.

If anything, I was still amazed that it's so very rural. I need to see how the town plans are going to carry out. Some of the communities built in the last two years were not being maintained very well, this was shocking to me.

I still love, love, love the area overall, but I need to see that they are on track with building the schools, and other construction they have planned.

At this point, I see this area as having the potential to be exactly where I want to be, or just becoming overrun. It's too soon to tell for me. There is a lot of plans in the works, but we all know what happens to the best laid plans.

So right now, I'm continuing to keep a close eye on the area, but am not rushing down next week. I'm giving myself a little more time to see how things pan out. My oldest child does not start kindergarten for another two years, so fortunately for me, we have time. And we gave ourselves enough time, knowing this is something we wanted to do for years.

This is just my experience and view. We will visit again to see if this is the best for our family.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
The issue you addressed it what I've been saying for a long time. All of these people are moving here in droves, specificaly from those 4 states you mentioned. They are all leaving their areas because it is too expensive and too crowded and all of that.... yet they are making NC the same way. Sheep on the field.
Put yourselves in our shoes for one second( since i just came from Calif. myself) in order to buy a home or in our case move up to lets say "bigger" and i am not talking 2,000 sq. ft even, just a little bit bigger in a nicer town than the one you are living in.Now the average price is a junkie fixer upper for around $800-900K. Now something a little nicer and you are averaging at best for 1 million dollars!!!! Even though we owned, it was not enabling us to ever move out of that paticular town we were living in and going somewhere just a little bit nicer. Yes, i was a homeowner and was lucky enough to have bought 5 years ago and yes we made money but... you cannot move up!!!
So, in my case my son is here and here to stay. With that, and the attractive home prices we chose to go this route and come here.
It's to bad that for some they feel so bent out that people are migrating to their lovely state, but hey thats the beauty of this free country.
California is one big melting pot so i guess we dont see things as "territorial".
We have had MANY filthy rich people come in and buy their second or 3rd or 4th homes there and jack the prices up because they will pay whatever.
And the Great Mexican Migration and so on. Ya just deal with it

Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16
Also, my husband was right underneath the plane hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11. We were very fortunate that he was ok. This also brought things to the forefront again.
As far as I am concerned, anyone who was anywhere near anything that occured that day can go whereever they need to in order to get on with their lives - without discussion.
Note the Vermont forum - NYC people relocated post 9/11. Whether it was NYC, Pentagon, Flight 93, I come across people affected firsthand by that horrible day all of the time where I live and it will never leave them. Like war survivors - one day at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina