Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:55 PM

291 posts, read 1,782,105 times

Advertisements

And not South Carolina,Georgia,Tennesee or Virginia?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
What's in North Carolina?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
For me it was the weather. We moved to Lenoir and I challenge you to find me a better year around weather pattern (cannot afford San Diego or Hon.)
If it gets hot we head up into the mountains where it is cooler. If we want snow we head up into the mountains. I can ride my motorcycle home and drive 40 miles and go sking! It was so hot in all of the states you mentioned today but we took an evening ride and it was actually cool.
Besides: VA is way too expensive and in NC we don't pay a state income tax since we are federally retired.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired
For me it was the weather. We moved to Lenoir and I challenge you to find me a better year around weather pattern (cannot afford San Diego or Hon.)
If it gets hot we head up into the mountains where it is cooler. If we want snow we head up into the mountains. I can ride my motorcycle home and drive 40 miles and go sking! It was so hot in all of the states you mentioned today but we took an evening ride and it was actually cool.
Besides: VA is way too expensive and in NC we don't pay a state income tax since we are federally retired.
We haven't had a single day of 90 degree weather at Asheville this month. Love that Bailey decision too.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM

26 posts, read 119,880 times
Default NC - why not!

NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)

For me - I can offer a better life to my children than I can in New Jersey. Plus, as most of us have aging parents - the drive back to NJ - in an emergency - is managable.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel
And not South Carolina,Georgia,Tennesee or Virginia?

Just curious.
Again; because the hype is all about NC now. It's the newest fad "it" place to relocate too.... and darnit all if we aren't all acting like teens in highschool again. lol

Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady
NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)

So you want to move to a different state but ghetto yourself?

Wow. I'm sitting here just blinking.

Last edited by Yac; 07-31-2006 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 AM

73 posts, read 320,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady

I thought the same thing when I read that.

Last edited by Yac; 07-31-2006 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
[quote=silverwing][quote=Classyjerseylady]NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)
Quote:

Frankly this is human nature. I grew up in Detroit. I have lived in TN, NC and now NYC. It is always nice to run into a Midwesterner. You speak the same language and have similar experiences from childhood. When my parents left the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC to move to Detroit in the 40s, they naturally gravitated toward other southern transplants. In fact my Dad's business was in Ann Arbor, but they were never totally comfortable living there since at that time there were few southerners living in AA. So, our family lived in the Western suburb of Detroit where there was a fairly high number of southern transplants and he worked in Ann Arbor. If you went in to our Baptist Church you might have thought you were in Tennessee or NC.
I just think this is human nature. However, this is another reason I always issue a word of caution to Northerners moving South. Especially in small towns, you had better acclimate or you will really feel like an outsider.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
[quote=Classyjerseylady]NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)

Well, there you have one of the reasons I moved out of South Jersey. The "My People" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina