Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

81 posts, read 238,632 times

Advertisements

The state has a low unemployment rate, and I doubt crime is a major issue. I would like to know why many residents have this mentality of wishing to leave the state. I know it is cold, but so are many cities in the east coast. So what is it, and which school is better, NDSU, or UND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Because North Dakota is such a rural state, many of the young people like to venture to new places. Many come back when they start families, and many just continue with their lives out of state. Many retired people leave to retire in milder climates, or to be closer to their children. I don't think percentage wise, people don't leave or come anymore than many of the rural, northern tier states...but because of North Dakota's low populations (675,000) it is more noticeable.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

203 posts, read 602,660 times
Default Colleges

Depends on the major. NDSU is more ag. related, but both are perfectly fine schools (yes, I teach college in ND, so my opinion is based on more than athletics).

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,463 times
It's very rural. You can drive for hours and still be ...... nowhere. The "friendly" people here are bigots and loathe to accept newcomers. It's safe to raise children but gives them very little "real world" experience.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
freezing is the reason

Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
The state has a low unemployment rate, and I doubt crime is a major issue. I would like to know why many residents have this mentality of wishing to leave the state. I know it is cold, but so are many cities in the east coast. So what is it, and which school is better, NDSU, or UND?
Isn't there a Dickinson State too?

Anywho, I was only 2-3 yrs old when my mom and stepdad lived up in Rolla.
My stepdad complained the teaching salary was too low up there and then of course, the cold.
But then again, I grilled him further about it and he actually admitted that the house we lived in up there at the time was a converted storage something-or other, and it wasn't well insulated to begin with.

My own dislike for the state wouldn't be so much the cold, but the mountainless features that go across much of the state.
But, if I were to re-venture into getting on board with a law-enforcement agency, this state and many others will a rural feel will be on my top-list.

If I were a cop, I'd much rather deal with the suspense that would come out of an otherwise mundane shift in the boonies, as opposed to the finger-pointing that would occur in my nearby metropolis of LA!!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,834 times
Post RV solar panels

You can search in the internet.There you will get a lots of information. Unemployment is because of lack of studies.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,834 times
The reason may be due to low unemployment rate, and I crime is also a major issue.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrvliving View Post
The reason may be due to low unemployment rate, and I crime is also a major issue.
Huh? Just curious how the low unemployment rates cause people to leave? Low unemployment rates mean there are more jobs than people (many of the people not working in this state, are not working by choice) ...also, crime is definately not a major issue. Not much crime in this state.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 43,443 times
I haven't notice that North Dakota had problems with crime, it seems like a safe state. Since I have been living here I can leave my car doors unlocked and I can leave my house door unlocked as well.

I have had some people tell me that they wanted to move due to low wages. Then others state that they would like to move because of the weather and because they have never left the state before to explore other places by taking a vacation.

I think most most of the schools are great for those who have children. And I think UND is a great college to attend for those who would like to attend college. As far as I can see the economy is doing well in North Dakota so I don't understand why people would want to move because the state that I relocated from had terrible schools, many people without jobs, terrible healthcare and plenty of forclosed homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota